Canon Eos Rebel XT

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
peterb

Re: Canon Eos Rebel XT

Post by peterb »

Ha, not in Arizona.

peterb
Zone 9
noelbro

Post by noelbro »

Hi to All,
I think Canon,s EF 50mm F/1.8 II lens is excellent lens especially for its price.
I am adding some cropped up pics I took last year with my 50mm lens and Canon 5d/2 dslr.
hope you enjoy,
Regards,
Noel camilleri.
Attachments
Mam. Backebergina..jpg
Mam. Backebergina..jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Mam Elongata..jpg
Mam Elongata..jpg (142.71 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
Parodia Wed..jpg
Parodia Wed..jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The standard 50mm lens plus extension tubes was the one usually used for amateur "macro photography" before Nikon introduced the first Micro Nikkor and from then all camera firms started introducing a similar macro lens for general photographers. True macro lenses for scientific photographers had of course existed before then. As far as I understand the name Micro Nikkor was chosen for what others call macro lenses because Nikon already produced lenses called Macro Nikkor's for it's Multiphot photography system.

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/25/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photograp ... ikkors.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.microscopyu.com/museum/multiphot.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Therefore failing a dedicated macro lens the old standard fixed focal length lens on tubes will probably give you the best close-up resolution of any lens in that manufacturers range apart from their macro lens. The f1.8 will probably have a flatter field and less aberrations close-up on tubes than wider aperture lenses like the f1.4 or f1.2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNeTFbJ9YVw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leland

Post by leland »

I have the Rebel XTI and have had good luck with it.

An add-on flash (I have the speedlite 270ex) makes the flash photography much better.

Once you get used to a camera that takes the picture when you push the button, point and shoots really seem like something out of the stone age!

The 18-55 zoom that comes with it is ok, but mostly for snapshots. I bought one of their zoom with Image Stabilization and was absolutly amazed. Cannon also makes a cheap but good monopod that come in handy for field work.

a real 50 mm lens for a prime lens is on my wish list.

I set mine up on ``p`` mode with point focus. In the field on anything important I snap one on auto and one on program. You will be surprized how often the auto mode comes out better.

One quirk I have found is that for shade or indoor pix I need to set the a/v button to -1 to avoid pix that come out too dark. Likewise, for shooting white flowers, I often set it at -2. Another quirk is that he camera will not take pictures in the dark. I have a small aa flashlight I aim at the subject and then shoot.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Not being able to take photos in the dark is easily explained by the fact that the auto focus system just doesn't have anything it can see to lock on to, a flashlight or onboard focus pre-flash generally does the trick. In to dark situations with the flash deployed my old Sony triggers a few short bursts of light to help get focus lock before it allow me to take a picture, provided I don't have the camera set to allow shutter release without first having focus lock.

As for better images in auto than in P mode, just means you have the "wrong" settings set ;) From memory P generally is a semi auto mode where it picks shutter and aperature setting for you but still allows you to manually select things like ISO, exposure metering mode and white balance. If your camera supports Program shift you can override the selected shutter/aperature setting while still maintain correct exposure.