Avoiding the dreaded Lens Error and how I fixed it.

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
Peterthecactusguy

Avoiding the dreaded Lens Error and how I fixed it.

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Anyone with a digital camera has probably had one that at one time or another was in a nice carrying case. (I still have mine in one, I know bad right?). The issue for me comes when I stick the carrying case in my pocket. I do something and it hits the on button on the camera inside the bag. The lens tries to extend. It can't. The camera automatically shuts off after a time to conserve the batteries. (at this point the lens is still partially open which allows dirt and grit and stuff to get inside). So at this point you go to take a picture. You pull your camera out and oh no it says Lens error: Camera will automatically shut off, try again. No matter how many times you do this, it doesn't work.
Here is what I did to fix it.
After consulting Ehow and a few other sites here is the easiest way to repair your camera without having to send it in. Turn the camera on. When the lens is trying to open up gently pull on the lens and see if you can get it to start moving again. If this doesn't work use plan B.
Simply turn the camera on AND gently AND I MEAN GENTLY tap the camera into the palm of your hand. It might take a couple of tries but usually this frees up the lens and it allows your camera to operate again.

I now have a camera that works, which means I can take more pictures. I will have some soon :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
CoronaCactus

Re: Avoiding the dreaded Lens Error and how I fixed it.

Post by CoronaCactus »

Maybe get a case that has a belt loop so you don't get pocket turn on? Mine has a belt loop, but I use a carabiner (spring loaded hook like clasp used for mtn climbing) to be able to hook in on my belt, my bag, etc.
Also keeps me from putting it down next to plant in habitat, walking away to take pics and forgetting it there ... 8)
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Avoiding the dreaded Lens Error and how I fixed it.

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

CoronaCactus wrote:Maybe get a case that has a belt loop so you don't get pocket turn on? Mine has a belt loop, but I use a carabiner (spring loaded hook like clasp used for mtn climbing) to be able to hook in on my belt, my bag, etc.
Also keeps me from putting it down next to plant in habitat, walking away to take pics and forgetting it there ... 8)
yes my case has a carabiner on it. I just had a bad habit of putting it in my pocket, which has ended. I now normally hook the carabiner to another one that I have all of my keys on save my truck's keys.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.