Quick HDRI test

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
SnowFella

Quick HDRI test

Post by SnowFella »

Been meaning to test this out for quite a while now but never really got around to it untill now. Still need to sit down and really figure out how the program works but the image it spat out using the auto setting looks reasonable in my eyes.

Link to a 50% scale of the original image.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6819 ... fused1.jpg

Just wish I could up the intensity of the red without blowing out the rest of the image.
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

I find HDR to be quite useful for non-moving indoor pictures. It's also nice for landscapes when the sun is playing on you and/or you can't come back when the light is as it's best.

For plants, I don't use it much and here's why: my tripod is cheap and does not weight much and therefore moves a very little bit. I end up with nice light but loose on the crisp side. I almost always end up light up my subject properly with aluminium pans/white cardboard and ligths. But if you have a nice and heavy tripod (or can add weight to yours, look for the hook) ignore my comment.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

I've got a cheapo flimsy tripod aswell so I'll likely find exactly what you have found out.

As for lighting, I've tried building myself a cheap lightbox using some wooden boards, some sheer white fabric and some thicker black fabric for a backdrop..still have to figure out how to light it properly though.
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

I use Photomatix for HDR and have had good luck even shooting offhand. When it merges the image you get an option to mark the ghosted areas and the software does a decent job of fixing them.

Never used it for plants closeup though. I am about to try it though with a Stapelia gigantea will fool with it this weekend.

HDRSOFT.com if you want to check out the software. they have a cheaper version with the basics for under 40.00
JoeCactus

Post by JoeCactus »

First is exposure fusion tone mapped default setting, The second is exposure fusion tone mapped smooth setting.

I have another close up that I need to shrink down to fit you can see the maggots at the base ..nasty stuff if you stick your nose up to it you can see why.

I will post it or some of the same single exposures simply touched up with Adobe LightRoom and then some simple raw jpg shots.

Ok there is the closeup.

My initial assumption is that HDR does not beat Lightroom regarding plant photos for simply filling in the shadows and making the details enhanced. For me HDR enhancing is better for getting details to show with indoor room pictures, making great landscapes, or purposefully over contrasted artistic photos.

But it does beat a plain old photo because it brings out details in the shadow areas.
martenfisher

Post by martenfisher »

Why was HDR used in the picture? Normaly you use it to balance dark and light areas. These kinds of pictures are normaly easily balanced with available lighting even a hand held lamp.