Potting of Echeveria lucita offsets

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Potting of Echeveria lucita offsets

Post by WayneByerly »

I've got an Echeveria lucita that is putting out offsets like it doesn't know what else to do. Both at the base of the rosette AND from the base of the stalk. Which is four or so inches long. I've been thinking about cutting off the stalk and planting the rosette MUCH closer to the soil for some time now as it is SO tall that I've had to add some support to it to keep it standing up straight.

And then I read the post by Pompom "Story of my suicidal plant" about an Echeveria pulidonis ... which convinced me that it was time to repot all of my E. lucita's offsets as well as replanting the rosette closer to the soil.

This is going to be rather short. A few introductory words to each of the five pics, the pics themselves and then i'm done.

A) The E. lucita as it was when I started. I finally wound up with an even dozen offsets of a size large enough to fool with, and maybe 3 or 4 that were just so small that I tossed them in the garbage. Now all I need to do is to find someone to give them to so that I don't' have them taking over the place where I live.
A.jpg
A.jpg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 923 times
B) First I stripped the offsets from around the rosette.
B.jpg
B.jpg (105.31 KiB) Viewed 923 times
C) Then I pried up the offsets from out of the soil, lying them on a paper plate as they had roots and dirtballs that I didn't want to spread all over the table. I wasn't very successful at that was I? You can see a couple of the smaller ones that I discarded.
C.jpg
C.jpg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 923 times
D) Using the stainless steel chopstick I pried the plant up from the pot, cut the rootball off, and trimmed the stalk so that there was about 2.5 inches left for me to replant and put it back in the same soil. A mixture of my own contriving that is about 50-60% mineral. No waiting time for it to callus over before I planted it. I WILL wait however some few days before I water.
D.jpg
D.jpg (117.13 KiB) Viewed 923 times
E) The original rosette in the original pot and 9 containers (5 of which are plastic and 4 of which are glazed fired clay pots) with 12 offsets in them.
E.jpg
E.jpg (131.46 KiB) Viewed 923 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Re: Potting of Echeveria lucita offsets

Post by ElieEstephane »

I think this is E. Pulidonis too wayne. Even the tiniest rosettes will take root and grow. However, that's gonna be very slow so i understand why you dumped them.
Planting immediately wasn't such a good idea because it can get infected from the soil. So next week pull it from the soil see if it's okay. If it is wait a few days and water
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Potting of Echeveria lucita offsets

Post by WayneByerly »

I know that its hard to see with these pictures Elie, but this one is definitely an Echeveris lucita. When I put it in the sun the tips of the leaves turn bright red and they're very much thinner than the leaves of the E. pulidonis. They also have a bluish cast that is not evident in this poor lighting that the E. pulidonis does not have. But now that I have said "definitely" , I will admit to the possibility that I am absolutely wrong. It has happened once or twice before.

I posted a picture of it in flower in Pompom's post "My suicidal plant". Take a peek at that photo.

And thanks for the advice about waiting/ planting, VERY much appreciated.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a