In From the Cold

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

In From the Cold

Post by WayneByerly »

Deleted by member over duplications.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
7george

Re: In From the Cold

Post by 7george »

I thought Pachipodiums first grow big like a tree before forming first flowers. Show us a photo after buds open please. :D

I keep all my Pach. plants indoors at some cool spot and they just drop leaves winter time. Maybe in this case the sudden change did the job!
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm I thought Pachipodiums first grow big like a tree before forming first flowers. Show us a photo after buds open please.

I may very well be extremely wrong about this, because I think I was reading this when I was tired. But I thought I read something that said these flowers had to be opened by insects that they didn't open up their own accord.

And I assumed that they are flowers considering that fact that they're at the Terminus of the plant and they look so different than the leaves. I guess it could be cancer for all I know!

Let me look at a couple of things... I'll be right back... OK, this what i found.

http://pza.sanbi.org/pachypodium
The long, pointed buds open into large frilly, white, sweet-smelling flowers, the underside of the petals and tube flushed with purple. Flowering time is from about July to September, before the leaves appear.

Mine appear to have occurred concurrently. And from what this says, they ARE flowers... although it is not yet July... Or even September...

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/i ... hypodiums/
The process of pollinating these flowers involves dissecting it to get to the pollen & stigma which is under a hard cap in the center of the flower, to do this I carefully cut the flower in half length ways & then wiped away the nectar which is produced when the flower is damaged. Now the flower is cut & the nectar is wiped away & stopped flowing I carefully peel one side of the cap down & use a tooth pick to scrap out some pollen setting it aside to use on the second flower (other plant), once I open the second flower I use a new tooth pick to collect pollen before adding the pollen from the first flower, I then take the second tooth pick & use it on the first flower.

I think that this must be what it was that I read.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

There were only 5 pictures in my original posting in this topic. Why the system chose to duplicate them so that there are now 21 pictures in that posting is just beyond me. I've been having some really bad problems with the system doing things like this and deleting my pictures after adding them on a kind of random basis. I don't know why this should be. But I apologize to each and everyone of you for this egregious duplication of pictures.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm I thought Pachipodiums first grow big like a tree before forming first flowers. Show us a photo after buds open please. :D
Hey there!

My Pachypodium lealii ssp saundesii opened it's first bud today, and I thought, seeing as how you asked SO politely, that I would be accomodating and show the members of this forum the first of my Pachypodium flowers. I'll post additional pictures as additional buds open up. Has anyone else who has Pachypodiums had them flower? I'd be interested, now that MINE has, in seeing others.

So ... without further ado ...
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Deleted by the member as a duplicate.
WayneByerly

Pachypodium lealii ssp saundersii flower

Post by WayneByerly »

P.S. I ... LOVE ... the flowers pink highlights. The flower is only 1.25 inches (about 32mm) across.

If you grow Pachpodiums or are just interested, there is a really great, moderately detailed article regarding Pachypodiums at https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/539/
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm I thought Pachipodiums first grow big like a tree before forming first flowers. Show us a photo after buds open please.

Here are a couple of new pics I took just a couple of minutes ago. Thought you might like them George.

Although everything I've read says that the flowers are "sweet smelling", I do not find them to be particularly rich of odor. Nothing resembling unpleasant ... pleaseant enough I suppose ... just not VERY sweet smelling.
DSCF3682.jpg
DSCF3682.jpg (19.44 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
DSCF3683.jpg
DSCF3683.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
DSCF3684.jpg
DSCF3684.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
DSCF3690.jpg
DSCF3690.jpg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
DSCF3691.jpg
DSCF3691.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

And as long as I'm posting pictures of the flowers, let me post one of the foliage ... further evidence of how fast the growth is since I brought it "in from the cold.
DSCF3555.JPG
DSCF3555.JPG (98.85 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
DSCF3557.JPG
DSCF3557.JPG (94.09 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pmI thought Pachipodiums first grow big like a tree before forming first flowers. Show us a photo after buds open please. :D
Hi George!
More of my Pachy's flowers have opened, so I thought, seeing as how you asked so politely, that I would post some more pictures.

Again.

Just three ...
20180127_181026.jpg
20180127_181026.jpg (102.3 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
20180127_181059.jpg
20180127_181059.jpg (88.19 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
20180127_181107.jpg
20180127_181107.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I just cannot figure WHY this system should turn my pictures. Does some part of the software think I'm too STUPID to arrange my photo's properly? Does it think this is funny? Or is it doing this JUST to torque my jaws? This is REALLY starting to aggravate me!!!!!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pmI thought Pachipodiums first grow big like a tree before forming first flowers. Show us a photo after buds open please. :D
OK George ... one last time ... you asked to see pictures of the flowers, and so I'm posting two more ... one of the flowers, and one of the foliage ...
Pachypodium lealii 2018-01-29 (Flowers).jpg
Pachypodium lealii 2018-01-29 (Flowers).jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Pachypodium lealii 2018-01-29 (Foliage).jpg
Pachypodium lealii 2018-01-29 (Foliage).jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
7george

Post by 7george »

Flowers look great!
I thought this plant should grow much bigger before to set flowers. I have similar one, called P. saundersii but that one have no branches or any flowers yet. What is your ambient temperature for it? Mine probably feels quite cold cause I'm trying to keep cacti around that shelf dormant in winter.

P.S. I found a synonym for my plant: Pachypodium lealii subsp. saundersii , so these are quite similar plants. So there is a hope. :D
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 amI thought this plant should grow much bigger before to set flowers. I have similar one, called P. saundersii but that one have no branches or any flowers yet. What is your ambient temperature for it? Mine probably feels quite cold cause I'm trying to keep cacti around that shelf dormant in winter.
Mine nominally lives in the greenhouse. I have a thermostatically controlled heater in it that comes on at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and goes off at 45, wanting to give my plants a winter exposure, as many succulents need a cooling off dormant period In order to flower. But I read something somewhere that said that pachypodium are not very cold tolerant, so I brought mine inside. I brought it in, watered it, fertilized it, and all of a sudden it burst into flower. Ambient temperatures have been in the mid-70s inside, and quite high in the greenhouse during the summer time, but all the way down to 40 in the winter. I hope this answers any questions you might have. Feel free to ask more. I'm just about to post pictures of the inside of a dissected flower.
7george

Post by 7george »

Maybe the sharp contrast is important, fast change from cold to warm conditions you provided. And the plant reached the mature stage. Sunny spot also? Did you change the soil also recently?
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 am Maybe the sharp contrast is important, fast change from cold to warm conditions you provided. And the plant reached the mature stage. Sunny spot also? Did you change the soil also recently?
No soil change ... Been in the same pot/soil for a couple of years... I can't help but have the feeling that your opinion about the rapid change from cold to warm was significant. That, and may be partially due to its age. It did flower after all and plants generally don't unless they're fairly mature.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.