Growth Over Time - (8) Succulent Bowl Collections

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (8) Succulent Bowl Collections

Post by WayneByerly »

Succulents Bowl Collections

This time, rather that pick a single genus/species and show you what it looked like 5 years ago v. what it looks like today, I'm going to show you two succulent bowl collections. I do not know what possessed me to group these things together instead of putting each species in its own pot. But I find them to be extremely pleasing to my eye.

No need for Identification of anything. And I'm not going to identify anything here. Nothing is sick. Nothing technical at all. No facts. This is JUST to look and enjoy ...

So ... Enjoy.

Succulents
Just one picture of this collection. I'm not going to single out each succulent like I will the haworthias. Maybe I should. YOU Iet ME know. I am not as fond of this Collection as I am of the Haworthias, but I do nonetheless treasure it.
Bowl (1).JPG
Bowl (1).JPG (202.99 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Haworthias
10 Haworthias in one bowl. TEN. And nothing but Haworthias. I was not at first too very interested in Haworthias. But I got one. And slowly, over time, my interest in them grew until I now have ten species of that genus. And I have come to truly admire those thick fleshy leaves. And their textures (some are smooth, and some feel like sandpaper, and some have "teeth" on their leaf edges. Quite a diverse genus I think. First a picture of the entire bowl, and then a little closer shot of each Haworthia in the bowl.
Bowl (2).JPG
Bowl (2).JPG (232.91 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
I love the green color of this one. I don't know why it should appeal to me so greatly.
Bowl (3).JPG
Bowl (3).JPG (191.35 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
This is the fastest growing Haworthia that I have. I cannot tell you how many times I have peeled off a pup to give to someone else, and it is still taking over the bowl.
Bowl (4).JPG
Bowl (4).JPG (181.9 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (5).JPG
Bowl (5).JPG (188.96 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (6).JPG
Bowl (6).JPG (200.16 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (7).JPG
Bowl (7).JPG (179.46 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
The Haworthia in these next two pictures--8 and 9--skip 10--and then 11 and 12--are posessed of the "Windows" in the ends of their leaves--that let sunlight into the inside of the leaves where an additional layer of photosynthetic cells reside--that make Haworthia SO distinctive ... and they somehow touch my "visual satisfaction center" SO intensely.
Bowl (8).JPG
Bowl (8).JPG (167.76 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (9).JPG
Bowl (9).JPG (190.59 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (10).JPG
Bowl (10).JPG (217.11 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (11).JPG
Bowl (11).JPG (184.61 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Bowl (12).JPG
Bowl (12).JPG (177.46 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Re: Growth Over Time - (8) Succulent Bowl Collections

Post by stefan m. »

Not bad at all. Still think you should know that two plants in the first picture(right edge,center to top, are tilandsias. If you know what they are, i wont say anything. If you dont , ill tell you.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Stephan: Actually, there are five of them, all hot glued to a piece of driftwood, along with some moss. And yes, I know they are all
8oTilandsia. Although I'm not sure that a Tilandsia qualifies as a succulent. Which is why they are in the bowl on a piece of Driftwood and not "planted" in the dirt. So I can remove them when I think they no longer are appropriate. And I have ID's for them. At least the ones I got from the seller. They were just something else to stick in the pot until I can find something else to plant in it... something I might really like. I'm not really very fond of the Tilandsia. If you would like for me to do so, I will post their pictures individually, along with what I think of as their IDs and you can give me any corrections that may be necessary. If you want me to.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Nice Haworthias, specially that one in picture 11.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I only see the three? No, youre right, they are not succulents. The fall under a special type of plant called bromeliads. While there are xerophytic bromeliads- puya, dyckia, hecthia.. none of them is actually a succulent plant.
But bromeliads are a very cool family of plants, and i grow them as well. Some of them are quite common(vrisea, guzmania,aechmea...
If youd like check out alos
Crypthanthus
Neorgelia(might be common in USA, but not here)
Bilbergia
Orthophytum
Ananas(pineapple)-red cultivar