Growth Over Time - (5) Ferocactus glauscens

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (5) Ferocactus glauscens

Post by WayneByerly »

Please note that in accordance with multiple concurring ID's, by members of this forum, the name of this cactus has been changed from Echinocactus grusoni to Ferocactus glauscens. Pictures in this posting were created, included here and then deleted. It would be very time consuming to recreate them, so Please be so kind as to ignore ANY reference to Echinocactus grusoni.

This cactus, Ferocactus glauscens (I have been told at any rate that it is a Ferocactus glauscens at any rate) was a little tiny thing when I first got it. A U.S. Dime is about 12mm across, so you can see how small it was.
014 2013-07-29 Echinocactus grusoni (ferobergia).jpg
014 2013-07-29 Echinocactus grusoni (ferobergia).jpg (85.51 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
014.1 2015-12-27.jpg
014.1 2015-12-27.jpg (120.22 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Oops ... system turned this one sideways also.
014.2 2016-10-05.jpg
014.2 2016-10-05.jpg (94.13 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
There's no coin for scale in this picture, but youi can see how much bigger it is by comparing how wide it is in the bowl from one year to the next. Its the same bowl.
014.4 20171111_114943.jpg
014.4 20171111_114943.jpg (150.62 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

All of the pictures in this series have been reduced to 1024 pixels on it's long side to fit the requirements of this BBS. I wish I did not have to do so as so much detail is now gone by the way side. You just cannot see what these cacti really look like without the detail. My profoundest apologies.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Nic

Re: Growth Over Time - Cacti & Succulents (5)

Post by Nic »

It reminds me of ferocactus glauscens more than echinocactus grusonii.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Ferocactus glauscens. Have it. Have Echinocactus grunsonii too.
Oldest cactus i had , ferocactus(no ID, coveliei or emoryii).
Bought it size was half of a ping pong ball.
Now (6 years later)its bigger than a tennis ball.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Definitely a ferocactus glaucescens
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Well, i've got multiple ID's that agree... It looks like I'm going to have to start a "fix that succulent ID" list. It's going to be a difficult procedure. I've got pictures with names embedded in them. Filenames to change. Databases with names in them that will need to be changed. Labels on cacti & succulents that will need to be changed. Not difficult really, just ... time consuming.

Anyway ... Thanks everso guys ... I appreciate you all taking the time out of your busy day to provide me with information regarding the proper ID for this cactus. Truly I do... thanks a LOT!
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a