Growth Over Time - (1) Crassula kimnachi 'Buddha's Temple'

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (1) Crassula kimnachi 'Buddha's Temple'

Post by WayneByerly »

OK ... you asked for it ... here it is. The first of my examples is Crassula kimnachi 'buddha's temple'

Fortunately, I started out with coins in the picture for scale with this succulent. A U.S. dime is about 12mm for our non U.S. members. In all of these pictures, i've counted the rows or "layers" of leaves.
013 2013-07-21 Crassula kimnachi 'Buddha's Temple'.jpg
013 2013-07-21 Crassula kimnachi 'Buddha's Temple'.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
013.10 2014-06-24.jpg
013.10 2014-06-24.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
013.30 2015-12-27.jpg
013.30 2015-12-27.jpg (124.11 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
013.40 2016-10-05.jpg
013.40 2016-10-05.jpg (100.97 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
In 2017, a strange thing started happening. Leaves on the bottom half began to turn yellow, dry up and fall off. I came to this forum, thinking that something was wrong with it ... hoping that someone could tell me something that would help me save it. As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with it. It was just producing offsets like mad. I've tried to count them ... and I've reached something like 30 so far. Some broke off and are in the surrounding soil. Some are on the stalk at the bottom of the leaves. Others are on the stalk scattered up & down the length of it. It's just amazing to me. The sticks are there for support. It's a little wobbly, and I didn't want to stress it at ground level when I picked it up to carry it to my watering station (kitchen sink). This is an indoor plant. It's kept in a window that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight every day and 16 hours a day the 4 foot flourescent light tubes are on. It's my understanding that plants NEED 8 hours (or more) of darkness for photosynthesis.
13.50 2017-11-20 150913.jpg
13.50 2017-11-20 150913.jpg (105.63 KiB) Viewed 3244 times
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: Growth Over Time - (1) Crassula kimnachi 'Buddha's Temple'

Post by WayneByerly »

I posted these pictures about 5 weeks ago. When I walked by this plant a few minutes ago, I thought that it looked significantly different than the last picture taken. Not by feet, or even by inches, but a difference CAN be seen. Over just a 5 week period. And if it looks this different in 5 weeks, what is it going to look like in 5 months? The biggest differences are in the offsets at the top on both sides. And even in the freestanding offsets in the soil on both sides. An astounding amount of growth for a Crassula. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a succulent grow this fast. So I thought that them members just MIGHT like to see this update. (Happy New Years BTW...)
DSCF3309.JPG
DSCF3309.JPG (179.83 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Happy new year. Not sure i can say the same about crassula, but aeoniums for example, are infact spring and autumn growers- unlike cacti that grow in late spring to early autumn , then rest in winter. Aeoniums have drought phase in summer(drop leaves) and passive phase in winter ( no growth).
Think something similar happened to my crassula arborescens recently
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I bought a beautiful specimen of Aeonium tabuliforme a couple of years ago. As i am sure you are aware, they are monocarpic. So within a three month period, i buy this plant, put it in some nice well draining soil, and then it almost immediately flowers and then dies.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Yeah i know. Some aeoniums pull of a trick though( old rosette dies, sprout new ones from the stem.) Others do offshoots.
You were unlucky that you got a rare plant, well grown, but without offshoot to clone. You could have tried to propagate with the leaves though.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Thanks ... I'll remember that the next time I buy an Aeonium tabuliforme.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Don't mention it... to me, some gymnocalycium baldanium turned out to monocarpic....
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:Don't mention it...
Ha, ha ... that was sarcasm my very good friend ... :D :lol:

What i really meant was "where the hell were you when my Aeonium died?" :idea:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Well, i used research my plants after i buy em . Stuff that bummed me out the most
- First contact with glochids
- Bought euphorbia milli in mistake of pereskia
- Realized bromeliads were monocarpic
- Realized cereoids were east to sunburn
- Bunch of echinopsis and parodia dying after bloom because of over watering- turns out its just stress
- Thinking my first echeveria was a sempevivum and killed it because of cold.
So, now my bryophylum daegrmontanium has started blooming, and , you must know by now that its monocarpic too.
And i made lots and lots of tiny clones just to be on the safe side,
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

stefan m. wrote:Don't mention it... to me, some gymnocalycium baldanium turned out to monocarpic....
Just because something died for you after flowering does not mean it's monocarpic. There are no monocarpic cacti.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I know not its not monocarpic.... dumb plant just turned out that way. Lasted only 6-7 months.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

stefan m. wrote:... First contact with glochids...
Nobody loves glochids...

stefan m. wrote:... bryophylum daegrmontanium has started blooming...
You do realize that plant is toxic don't you? I had one of those and when I discovered that it was toxic I pulled it up out of the ground and partially disassembled it, put it in a plastic bag and then put it in the corner to await further disposal, not wanting to allow it anyway to find a way to continue existence. That was 4 months ago and the thing is still trying to grow roots in search of dirt and or water. FOUR months with NO dirt and NO water. And it's still alive. You just about can't kill these things.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

You just about can't kill these things- if you have them flower- they should die naturally
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Wayne, you have such a gorgeous collection, so many interesting plants! I've had this one for months in my mind, but haven't still found one to purchase in the nearby nurseries. I guess for some species you just have to buy online. It looks so interesting with all those layers and the image with all the pups is amazing!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

If you were here in the United States, I would send you an offset. But I think Customs between foreign countries would probably be expensive. If you look close at mine you can see that there's lots and lots of offsets, so I've got plenty to give away. Wish I could send you one.