Growth Over Time - (0) Mammillaria hahniana

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Growth Over Time - (0) Mammillaria hahniana

Post by WayneByerly »

I have been corrected in my identification of this cacti. It is a Mammillaria hahniana, and NOT a Mammillaria elegans. If there are any remaining references to Mammillaria elegans, please ignore them.

I take pictures of my cacti every year. Sometimes a little oftener. I do this in order to illustrate how much growth a cactus has made from one year to the next. I really didn't start this until 2013 in some cases and later in others. So the picture here is my Mammillaria hahniana in 2013 and 2017.

I didn't measure the width of the cactus in either year. But BOTH cacti have U.S. coins in them for the purposes of scale. The U.S. dime is 12mm in width. While working on creating this "growth indicator" picture (it has since been resized), I measured the dime on the screen. At the time, that was 52mm. In order to get a 52mm dime down to its correct size, I divide 12 by 52 giving me .218 ... just a ratio that I can use to size anything in the picture. So I measure the cactus, which was 198mm. Multiply that by my .218 ratio, and I get a caculated measurement of 43mm.

Same thing on the image on the right, except I have a U.S. quarter (23mm) for scale. Repeat the process for that picture, and the cactus is 173mm in width. 130mm of growth in 4 years. It was about the size of a golf ball when I got it, and now it's nearly as big as my head!

I beg your pardon for the lack of quality here. The two pictures that I used to create this "growth" photo were taken by two different "cameras", at different resolutions. So when I was "done", and reduced the size of the photo, the focus suffered. Sorry 'bout that. But this was just supposed to illustrate the growth attained in four years.

I only created this picture, because I just thought that maybe someone would be interested in seeing the growth rate of a Mammillaria hahniana over the course of four years. So, without further adieu, here's the picture (reduced in size to fit this forums size requirements).

Mammillaria hahniana - 2013 to 2017
Mammillaria Growth (half size).jpg
Mammillaria Growth (half size).jpg (102.17 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Let me know if you would like to see any more like this.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
mmcavall

Re: My Mammillaria elegans

Post by mmcavall »

Yes, please keep showing! Interesting to see not only the increase in size, but also the overall change in the aspect.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Interested! Keep posting!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

I think this is Mammillaria hahniana...
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

jfabiao wrote:I think this is Mammillaria hahniana...
www.cactus-art.biz lists the two as synonyms.

Look at the following link:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... legans.htm
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

mmcavall wrote:Yes, please keep showing! Interesting to see not only the increase in size, but also the overall change in the aspect.
I've a number of cacti and succulents that i could do this for. Next time I post, I'll put it in a topic named something like "Growth. Over Time" here in Member topics. I think you'll find it interesting.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

mmcavall wrote:Yes, please keep showing! Interesting to see not only the increase in size, but also the overall change in the aspect.
I've made 6 "New Topics" postings in "Members Topics" of the names Growth Over Time - Cacti & Succulents with the numbers (1) thru (6) tagged onto the end of each posting.
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

WayneByerly wrote:
jfabiao wrote:I think this is Mammillaria hahniana...
http://www.cactus-art.biz lists the two as synonyms.

Look at the following link:

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... legans.htm
I meant M. hahniana, not M. haageana...
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/