Opuntia in Alberta?

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
NM

Opuntia in Alberta?

Post by NM »

While watching Dino Hunt (in Alberta) on Netflix, I spotted an Opuntia. It was in a rugged area. Does anyone know the name of that Opuntia. I assume that cactus tolerates wet soil and cold winters.
Living at the extreme limit of the Sierra Nevada Mts. where cactus can still grow.
ElieEstephane

Re: Opuntia in Alberta?

Post by ElieEstephane »

NM wrote:While watching Dino Hunt (in Alberta) on Netflix, I spotted an Opuntia. It was in a rugged area. Does anyone know the name of that Opuntia. I assume that cactus tolerates wet soil and cold winters.
I believe opuntia compressa is one of the hardiest opuntias and can grow in snowy regions.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
NM

Post by NM »

Thank you. I'd like to own one.
Living at the extreme limit of the Sierra Nevada Mts. where cactus can still grow.
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

There are several Opuntia cactus that grow in Alberta and British Columbia. Do a search on Google ans you will see them.
NM

Post by NM »

I always thought of Canada as arctic-like.
NM
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

NM wrote:I always thought of Canada as arctic-like.
NM
You should come up here and visit. Broaden your horizons. It's the most beautiful country in the world. :D
NM

Post by NM »

I'm too old to travel.
7george

Post by 7george »

elieestephane wrote:
NM wrote:While watching Dino Hunt (in Alberta) on Netflix, I spotted an Opuntia. It was in a rugged area. Does anyone know the name of that Opuntia. I assume that cactus tolerates wet soil and cold winters.
I believe opuntia compressa is one of the hardiest opuntias and can grow in snowy regions.
Yes, but naturally O. humifusa (= compressa) grows only in Ontario. In Alberta most abundant and seen in countryside is O. polyacantha.

If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8