Epiphyllum oxypetalum

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Gail

Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Post by Gail »

I have what I believe to be a Epiphyllum oxypetalum getting ready to show me its first bloom tonight. I've only had this plant for 4-5 years and was actually thinking about getting rid of it when I noticed a teeny tiny bud. It has a lot of small buds but for some reason, only one matured. Hoping more will develop after this one is gone.
Will post fully open pictures tomorrow.

hegar

Re: Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Post by hegar »

I shall be waiting with anticipation of seeing that huge flower. It is good to hear, that you did not throw the plant away. With cacti, even "jungle cacti" like yours, you have to have patience. Even if you are not getting additional blossoms this time around, the next year may bring more excitement and fun, when more flower buds mature. :)

Harald
Gail

Post by Gail »

I'm glad I didn't toss it to lol. Its amazing how fast the bloom opened and it smells fantastic. I can't imagine what it will be like with multiple blooms.

oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

They are such a PITA. Take up too much space, sending lanky shoots where you don't want them. Not much to look at most of the year. But when they bloom, you forgive them! Mine dominates "her side" of the GH, lives in a huge tree pot & is spoiled with fish emulsion & lots of misting.
Attachments
AuntFran (640x463).jpg
AuntFran (640x463).jpg (454.78 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
Gail

Post by Gail »

Yeah, they are a pita. Mine isn't pretty like yours is, its longer with rounder stalks. It really needs more light than it gets indoors. I'll get it moved outside today.
I really enjoyed the blossom, totally worth the wait. Now to get some thicker growth at the base.
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Be careful. Not too much sun. Evenly moist and they love gentle overhead watering.
Gail

Post by Gail »

Its in the shade, will only get very dappled morning light for 30 minutes or so. Its been a long time since it got a shower, was nice getting the dust off lol.
Tedi

Post by Tedi »

The flower is so big. Magnificent.