Video of my Cactus Collection!

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
rtb1980

Video of my Cactus Collection!

Post by rtb1980 »

Hi everyone,

I took my first video of my cactus collection the other day and wanted to share it with everyone! Please don't judge too harshly, we are still fairly new to growing cacti and succulents. We do have some challenges since we live in a place that get's cold snowy winters and on top of that we have very limited space that receives full direct sunshine. Oh and not to mention the rainy/stormy springtime and the exceptionally humid summers.. uhg.. lol

My finance and I have been collecting for just over 4 years now and have learned a lot along the way. We really enjoy finding new growth, spines and flowers as well as learning about each plant and where it comes from.

Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Thank You!!
Rich
Last edited by rtb1980 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: Cactus Videos - Please Subscribe :)
tom_212

Re: Video of my Cactus Collection!

Post by tom_212 »

Nice collection!
They all look very healthy.
Did you grow any from seed?
TR
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

Hi Tom,

I have some seedlings, but they aren't on the video. I ordered a few different seeds last year but it was winter time and I didn't know if that would be a good time to start them so I was waiting for Spring, unfortunatly I forgot I had the seeds and didn't get them planted until a couple weeks ago. So-far the only one's that have sprouted are the seeds I harvested myself from my E. micromeris cactus, LOL. Those don't seem to have any problem sprouting, there are a bunch of babies in the pot with the parent plant.

I do want to start growing seeds more, I just need to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. I actually have a nice "incubation" cabinet with LED's that I built a couple years ago and I will probably use for cacti seeds going forward... well depending if that will work or not. I'll post some pics later.

Thanks for watching the video and for your comments, much appreciated!

-Rich
Marzhattan

Post by Marzhattan »

These are amazing! What an impressive collection, your stetsonia coryne is to die for and your mammillarias are beautiful. Congrats and keep it up!
rtb1980

Post by rtb1980 »

Thank you Marzhattan!

The Toothpick Cactus is actually one of my favorites! I just love how large and strong the spines get, earning this cactus it's common name. I actually got mine at Wal-Mart about 2 years ago, of all places! When I bought it the cactus was overgrowing it's pot, the whole thing had some sort of floral wrapping on it with cellophane, tissue and ribbon. it was hideous! And there was an entire display of similarly packaged "hideous" cacti... LOL .. Ignoring the packaging and the dried out flower that was glued to it, I saw the S.coryne and new I had to add it to my collection!