Arjen's 2017

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Re: Arjen's 2017

Post by Arjen »

lobivia kuehhasii HV1118

aylostera (mediolobivia) pseudoeinsteinii WR794

parodia microsperma (riojensis) WR228

sulcorebutia arenacea WR460

sulcorebutia gigantea JK315

weingartia buiningiana FR816 (3 year old seedling, mature plants are known to be more elongated)

weingartia pulquinensis var. hentzscheliana HS158

weingartia sp. zurima HJ950
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Arjen,
you do have a nice collection of Rebutias, Lobivias, Sulcorebutias, Weingartias, Aylosteras and probably a few more genera. These plants seem to produce plenty of bright flowers that make you and me too feel good. :)
I tried to grow what I remember were a Lobivia and a Rebutia cactus that I had purchased from a now defunct local cactus and succulent nursery.
However, the plants succumbed to the high heat we were experiencing at that time. I planted them between my prickly pears, thinking, that those larger cacti would provide some shade. That turned out not to be the case. The sun, between 10:30 and 13:30 or even beyond that time did hit the poor things full blast. They were practically cooked and dead within a few hours. I did not provide them with a shade screen like what they had, while growing in the greenhouse. I am not sure, If they are even adaptable and can be successfully grown in our environment.

Harald
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

I read Rebutias don't like high temperatures. I live in Japan and the summers here are very hot and humid (30 +Celsius (86+ Fahrenheit) 24/7).But it was actually after seeing Arjen's beautiful pics of some Rebutias that I decided to try them anyways, and I bought two very small minisculas. I don't think it 's a good idea to put plants without an established root system outside in full sun (whatever the genus).It's dangerous to let some bigger plants provide some shade as the position of the sun constantly changes.I'm not sure about Lobivias (Echinopsis?), but If you managed to avoid the Rebutias getting summer midday sun, they would probably be able to thrive where you live.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

I live in the netherlands so I am not really familiar with your kind of conditions, on hot days they may be a bit like the conditions in japan.
that may especially be the case because I keep most of my cacti in my greenhouse where it can get very hot.
I use a special kind of paint that blocks a good part of the sunlight and heat and is 'see through' when it rains, the most important part is air circulation though.
I keep door and windows open during the day and have a fan running.
the cacti I mostly collect are mountain plants so it's key to approach those conditions as closely as possible.
a lot of light, not too much heat and a lot of ventilation.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)