Arjen's 2017

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Arjen's 2017

Post by Arjen »

Hello everyone, it's been a while but I have finally found the time to share some pictures here again.
Here's the first one for this season:

Rebutia marsoneri
Last edited by Arjen on Thu May 04, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Arjen

Re: Arjen's 2017

Post by Arjen »

Aylostera (Mediolobivia) eos RH362

Aylostera (Mediolobivia) aureiflora

Rebutia minuscula var. senilis DH398
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

and some more

Echinocereus viridiflorus

Aylostera (Mediolobivia) canacruzensis WR642
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Arjen,
your cacti are looking good thus far. I do like the new presentation method you are using, i.e. showing the whole plant and then a vertically dissected blossom.

Harald
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Thanks Harald, I have made a habit of photographing floral cuts for myself to study.
Then I figured it is a good bit of extra information as well for others, flowers can be very defining sometimes.
I won't be doing it on every picture though, in the last few years I have specialized in the high andean globular cacti.
I also study echinocerei, call it a guilty pleasure.
I photograph flowers from about everything fitting those descriptions, but I sometimes have other plants in bloom as well!
today is a great example as I'm starting of with a Lophophora:

Lophophora williamsii

Aylostera (Mediolobivia) haagei

Weingartia kargliana WR677
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Thanks arjen
Looks very nice, ilike the cuttings too.
Nice cacti collection from the netherlands.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Thanks Alexander, here's some more

Rebutia marsoneri WR818, its flower bases too deeply entrenched to cut one out

Reicheocactus (Lobivia) famatimensis

Weingartia westii fma. camargo
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hi Arjen,
you do have a nice collection of cacti blooming this year. I am especially impressed by that healthy Lophophora williamsii, with one of the blossoms being produced by the little offset on the right side of it. It looks to me, like there are at least three other new heads growing from the mother plant.
It is kind of silly, that I can purchase a shotgun or even a semi-automatic assault rifle, but cannot legally own a L. williamsii. I am not sure, if the other species of Lophophora are also prohibited, but I am afraid, they are, because they do not look much different from the outlawed plant.

Harald
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

indeed, that does sound a bit silly to me, I wouldn't try my luck with the other Lophophoras, the american justice system is equally notorious
of course you of all people know that, having worked at customs or are you still working there?
here it is the other way around, it is almost absolutely forbidden to own a gun, yet I can grow any plant I want, except for marihuana

here's some more:

Echinocereus arizonicus Xdavisii

Echinocereus knippelianus

Echinocereus pulchellus ssp. sharpii SB1569 (wasted one flower on a cut, failed, didn't want to risk another one)

Aylostera (Mediolobivia) friedrichiana

Sulcorebutia frankiana VZ308a

Sulcorebutia tarabucoensis var. aureiflora

Weingartia neocumingii HTH177

Weingartia westii SL25
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

rebutia padcayensis HE276/8

rebutia margarethae RH1369

weingartia cintia (cintia knizei)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Arjen,
I do have one "dumb" question: How do you pluck the flowers from between all those spines? Do you use tweezers or a special instrument?
If you were to rip them out with tweezers, would it not cause damage to the appearance of the blossom?

Harald
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

hello Harald, there is no such thing as a dumb question
I use a small boxcutter and a chopstick to make room for navigating it, that's all

no flowers today, I have made new benches in my greenhouse because the old material was all crooked and crumbling
I don't know what this material is called in english, here we call it "trespa", it is very durable and hard as a rock
before applying it here it was attached to a friend's house for 20 years, undamaged!
this was probably the last time ever I had to renew the benches, in this greenhouse

video here:
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

The flowers of your Echinocereus pulchellus are very beautiful, the petals as well as the throat!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

thank you, I love those flowers my self as well!

Aylostera heliosa

Aylostera narvaecensis

Lobivia cinnabarina

Sulcorebutia aguilari HE94/6

Sulcorebutia juckeri VZ429

Sulcorebutia langeri HS240

Sulcorebutia sp. torotoro JK486/8
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

aylostera fulviseta

lobivia salitrensis JK418

aylostera (mediolobivia) ritterii var. pelifera

sulcorebutia santiaginiensis HS110

sulcorebutia sp. anzaldo KK1799

weingartia pulquinensis var. lagarpampensis LB2494