need gloves 4 this

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
keith

need gloves 4 this

Post by keith »

I had the golden barrel out in the rain and in the original black soil sand mix it came with, plus clover and snails etc, but it was doing OK. I got this cactus for free last summer it was over growing a plastic pot so I finally decided to do something with it plus I had this big clay pot from Phoenix so a perfect fit. It just uses up massive amounts of my potting mix. I was going to plant it in the ground but .. maybe next time ?

Pulled it out of its POT and held it up while my son blasted the roots with the garden hose removing most of the potting soil and perlite. Then into its new pot it just fits. Pretty common cactus around here the only problem is they get too big after awhile. The next re potting will be the last I think.
Attachments
Echinocactus grusonii
Echinocactus grusonii
20170226_163443_resized.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
adetheproducer

Re: need gloves 4 this

Post by adetheproducer »

Given its size I would have planted it in the ground if the climate was good for it I would not want to try and pick that up even with gloves the once let alone knowing you are gonna need to move it again in the future. Ouch is all I can think.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Good morning,

big cacti repot, no problem.
You need a big old towel or a big old blanket.
They are wrapped around the cactus. Then one can also touch very large cacti with long thorns.
If there are still questions, I can take photos.

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

KW is right. A big thick towel is a much better option than gloves (or better yet, both). Just watch out if you use this method on Opuntiads cause you'll spread glochids through the wash if you aren't very careful. Had similar issues with a Chamaelobivia. Maybe it's best just to not wash it normally.
keith

Post by keith »

Opuntiads cause you'll spread glochids "

Yuck I have some opuntias right now I would like to get rid of. I use barbecue tongs to handle them opuntia basalaris.

Big towel thats genius thanks
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Heh, I've been trying to kill a C. subulata for years now. Damned thing won't die.