Nic's Cacti

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Nic

Nic's Cacti

Post by Nic »

Purchased a few more cacti today. They all are bare rooted and drying except for the opuntia.
Attachments
O. Macrocentra
O. Macrocentra
IMG_5737.JPG (447.52 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
Gymno Mihanovichii
Gymno Mihanovichii
IMG_5736.JPG (402.77 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
Unknown, Espostoa Melanostele, and pilosocereus glaucochrous
Unknown, Espostoa Melanostele, and pilosocereus glaucochrous
IMG_5739.JPG (144.31 KiB) Viewed 6375 times
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
Nic

Re: Nic's Cacti

Post by Nic »

The cacti have been potted up into a nearly fairly inorganic mix, except the opuntia. They probably won't go into full hibernation based on the date, and the fact that they are in a decently cool spot.
Attachments
Espostoa Melanostele
Espostoa Melanostele
IMG_5766.JPG (496.91 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
Pilosocereus glaucochrous
Pilosocereus glaucochrous
IMG_5769.JPG (442.39 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
Unknown
Unknown
IMG_5770.JPG (121.78 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
Harrisia fragrans?
Harrisia fragrans?
IMG_5771.JPG (114.82 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
Last edited by Nic on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no cactus you can't eat, but you just might regret it if you eat the wrong one.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Three species of rhipsalis have now been grafted on opuntia (they keep rotting). There is one r. Pentaptera, five R, Baccifera Horrida, and four R. Baccifera Baccifera.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The rhipsalis seem to have failed, but that is ok, it is life. I guess I'll have to work on a better humidity chamber.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Yesterday four more succulents were acquired, three echeveria and a jade. Although common, they are descent plants and the echeveria are preparing to bloom, thus I am waiting to repot them till they are done.
Attachments
IMG_5943.JPG
IMG_5943.JPG (222.4 KiB) Viewed 6193 times
Nic

Post by Nic »

New saguaro and parodia fusca or tanularis? today from a florist shop for six dollars apiece. I am not sure about the parodia though, and would like input.
Attachments
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG (197.45 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG (194.77 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
Last edited by Nic on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Two cacti arrived today for my dad and I. Variegated Ferocactus Latispinus with shipping they cost a total of $83.00. They appear to have decent soil, so I won't have to repot.
Attachments
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6088.JPG (267.19 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
IMG_6089.JPG
IMG_6089.JPG (258.82 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
thomas

Post by thomas »

Some nice cacti there. Really like the variegated ferocactus. How big are they?
Nic

Post by Nic »

About four or five inches in diameter. These are just a few of my cacti, most have been just taken out of dormancy, so they are not yet ready for decent pictures.
Nic

Post by Nic »

The cacti and succulents are being brought of their rest periods. All of my succulents get less water in the winter and basically don't grow at all, this is really good for my sedums, aloes, aloes and other succulents, they spend the water in their leaves to stay healthy and don't grow, preventing a lot of etiolation since in my location it is hard to supply good light in winter. Some of my sedums, mainly sedum morganianum lose a lot of their leaves, but that is a lot better that five inches of etiolated growth.
Nic

Post by Nic »

First flower for rhipsalis baccifera ssp. Horrida, it started growing the flower before it grew a new head. Also new species, opuntia fragilis originating from the okanagan highlands of BC.
Attachments
IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_6662.JPG (158.38 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
IMG_6663.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG (164.11 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
IMG_6664.JPG
IMG_6664.JPG (144.3 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

hello Nic, it seems your collection is growing rapidly!
I do have a question about that G. mihanovichii though, was it grafted when you bought it?
it seems to be one of the forms lacking chlorophyl, which means it will probably not survive on its own roots...
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Nic

Post by Nic »

The gymno definitely did have chlorophyll, I could see it when I degrafted it from the hylocereus. The main problem was I tried to root it in winter, and since I had to cut pretty deep to get out the hylocereus, it started to mold. I only have a few really nice cacti, most have scars or previous etiolation since my main source of cacti here are Home Depot, lowes, and Walmart since I don't like to do mil order except with seeds or unusual plants such as the ferocactus latispinus. In reality I have at least fifty different cacti and about the same amount of other succulents. Right now I am working on selecting a couple dozen more species to grow from seed.
Last edited by Nic on Mon May 15, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic

Post by Nic »

If you look at the first picture of the gymno, you can see some chlorophyll where it etiolated before I got it.
Nic

Post by Nic »

More acquisitions, escobaria vivipara, pediocatus simpsonii (just got the last two flowers), dudleya farinosa (two varieties), sedum spathulifolium, two more noid sedums, and a couple noid aeonium. pictures willl come later.
edit: noid sedums are Sedum obtusatum ssp. obtusatum and sedum lanceolatum