Which one will die first?

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
mmcavall

Re: Which one will die first?

Post by mmcavall »

Nic wrote:That is a good idea too, it will show which is toughest over the long run.
Yes, Nic. This way it is given time to the plants to adjust their machinery to resist longer periods of drought; they probably will resist longer. At the same time, I'll not kill any plant, which was a concern to some people. I also may discover ways to promote flowerings, which I would'nt if just keep them dry all the time.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I’ve finished the experiment. Plants were kept with no water at all during 70 more hot days of summer since the last post. They withered a little but nothing serious, and just a few hours after being watered they looked turgid and nice again. I’m pretty sure they would endure a month or two more, but I don’t feel I would like to continue. I’ve learned a lot.
Here is the Echinopsis again among the other cacti. It looks happy.
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

Very interesting experiment, especially seeing how the Huernias seem to flourish during drought conditions. I for one would be very interested to see this carried out using different succulents but I understand the 'ethical' considerations of some members. To a certain extent, however, the conditions these succulents are subject to in the wild is probably far more severe than that which they are subject to under cultivation.