My greenhouse and plants

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Shmuel

Re: My greenhouse and plants

Post by Shmuel »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I really like your Haworthia koelmaniorum. I find most Haworthia prefer part sun to full sun. I have something like your NOID and I think it is a Gasteraloe but not sure.

Nice to see you have reference numbers on your plants. Is there any particular system you use? I was thinking of cataloguing my collection, but have not come up with any system yet.

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi Shmuel, thanks for your kind comments and ID of the Gasteraloe.

Yes, I do have a cataloguing system. It was developed after several tries and failures. I'll describe it here or in another thread, as soon I have time to write it down.

Thanks for your interest
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Today's flowers: Parodia concina (?)

mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Heat lovers...or, at least, heat-dwellers:

Euphorbia /Monadenium: it was better in the winter...perhaps it is just too hot for this plant...but it still doing fine. Please note the thermometer indicator (picture taken December 28th at 2:00 pm - this plant will take at least more 5 hours of sun until sunset).

Huernia (?): that's it's season! Totally active now

Echeverias, Graptopetalum and Orostachys have their mechanisms to protect from the sun:

Schwantesia loeschiana seedlings (under shade cloth):

mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

This weekend I decided to re-organize my greenhouse for the new season; lots of repeated plants were taken out of the collection, as well as some less interesting species. The objective was to gain space and focus in the plants of my interest.
Below some pictures of the greenhouse and plants, some featured, and lots of pictures of the same things in different angles (not very willing to select).
Here are the benches, the left one has very little plants on it, but lots of seedlings under the silvery shade cloth. The right one harbor 100% of my plants that can take full sun, and in the inferior shelf there are a few Haworthia et al.

Left side:
The seedlings’ shelf:

Some work to be done:

On the bench there are just a few plants that are being acclimated to full sun (under wood boxes):

Now the right side. First the inferior shelf, the little plants I kept here (before re-organizing, it was full of repeated Haworthias):

The upper shelf, full sun:
I’ve tried to organize the plants according to the family (but not obsessively). From the first plan to the last, Crassulaceae, Asclepiadacea/Apocynaceae, Xanthorrhoeaceae/Asphodelaceae, Euphorbiaceae, Mesembs and Cactaceae.
Crassulaceae are of less interest for me. If someday I need more space, they will be the first to be given away. But the plants in the pictures were in fact rescued from the “give away” table, because each of them revealed some aspect that grabbed my attention.

Going a little ahead:

Mesembs’ corner:

Miscelaneous:

Cacti’s corner

And now the “backstage”...a little of the mess…:
Most of these plants are to give away, but I like to keep some because my children like to play with them.

That’s it. Now I'll not have anything else to show here for a long time!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Here in the Forum I’m learning that cacti can grow in pure mineral mixes, and I’m slowly changing my potting mix to something that is pure grit/gravel of variable size.
But one test I started about 9 months ago is to grow a volunteer M. prolifera seedling (which appeared in a Melocactus pot) direct on a rock.
It is just laid on the rock, where there are no cracks in which the roots could bury. I just put another rock to support the plant and avoid the plant to roll down.
To my surprise (I shouldn’t be surprised) the plant is doing fine, growing very very slowly, of course, but getting larger.
I water it about once or twice a week, and once a month I give it some very diluted fertilizer, as I do to all my plants.
So here are the plants. The M. cf. louisae (white one) is planted in pure grit substrate, but the M. prolifera (yellow one) is just laid on the rock:

Close up:

And here I took out the red rock that helps to hold the plant, so you can see that the plant is just laid on the rock:

This shows me that, indeed, they don’t need soil (loam) to grow.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Some random pictures taken this week:

mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Some random pictures of my plants in September/October (Spring here)

Aiko

Post by Aiko »

What is that nice flat and light green plant on the middle right, on the second to last picture? A Discocactus?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Wow what a nice collection! How come i never came across your thread :-k
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Aiko wrote:What is that nice flat and light green plant on the middle right, on the second to last picture? A Discocactus?
Hi, Aiko, thanks for your interest. It is a Discocactus placentiformis. A friend gave it to me not long time ago.
elieestephane wrote:Wow what a nice collection! How come i never came across your thread :-k
Thanks, Elie!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Some random pictures from October/November (Spring here):

ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You always make us jealous Marcelo! I'm glad someone is seeing some action during winter (your spring).
I think my P. Ottonis decided to synchronize with yours in thr homeland. Odd time for flowering though
Attachments
20171120_150048-1200x1600.jpg
20171120_150048-1200x1600.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Truly a fantastic collection and excellent presentation/potting of every plant. It is clear to me that I need to work on how I pot my plants. Your use of various rocks and gravel types for top dressing elements is very good.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you both Elie and Vipassana. It is still a modest collection and your comments fuel me to keep growing.