My greenhouse and plants

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: My greenhouse and plants

Post by WayneByerly »

VERY nice environmental displays ... and I am just astounded by the sheer number ... and quite jealous, wishing I had so much room. You have a very nice collection, truly.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

WayneByerly wrote:VERY nice environmental displays ... and I am just astounded by the sheer number ... and quite jealous, wishing I had so much room. You have a very nice collection, truly.
thank you, Wayne, for your kind comments.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Plants sowed in 2016 are being transplanted to individual pots since last ~8 months. I quickly noticed that (lack of) space can be an issue. Here are some pictures of the bench in which I grow the young plants in plastic pots (not all were grown from seeds: some were purchased). Next posts I'll show some corners of the other bench, where clay pots stay. Pictures were taken last week (end of summer here).

ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Talk about space! I grow seedlings in a box under lights and no matter how big it is, you'll always end up running out of space.
What's this cactus btw? An echinopsis?
5AoEj3D.jpg
5AoEj3D.jpg (91.41 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Hi, Elie, yes, it is an Echinopsis (grown from seeds bought as Lobivia aurea). Thanks for your interest.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

mmcavall wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 pm Hi, Elie, yes, it is an Echinopsis (grown from seeds bought as Lobivia aurea). Thanks for your interest.
I thought the spines look familiar! I too have one but bigger.
Do they flower in your hot winters?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm Do they flower in your hot winters?
Oh, no, Elie, they are too young and small, sowed in 2016, with about the size of my thumb. Hope they flower :)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

mmcavall wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:26 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm Do they flower in your hot winters?
Oh, no, Elie, they are too young and small, sowed in 2016, with about the size of my thumb. Hope they flower :)
I meant in general do echinopsis flower well in hot brazil? My chamaelobivia don't flower all that well in lebanon
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 pm I meant in general do echinopsis flower well in hot brazil? My chamaelobivia don't flower all that well in lebanon
Elie, I have few mature plants, and a few Echinopsis species, but last Spring I had flowers of E. oxygona and E. chamacereus for the first time. I think the climate is not a problem. Many other cacti flowered by the first time last Spring. It was also the first time I gave them a drought stress during winter, which may have accounted for flowerings in Spring.
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

This is a very enjoyable thread. The extent of your collection and the care with which you keep you plants is impressive.

The seedlings are my favorite part, but I am also enjoying the Huernias. They are a plant I struggle with (I can never get the watering right), but I find fascinating.

As always, thanks for posting!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thank you, Ken!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Some additional pictures of my cacti.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Vipassana wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm The seedlings are my favorite part, but I am also enjoying the Huernias. They are a plant I struggle with (I can never get the watering right), but I find fascinating.
There are very few Asclepiads species that you can find in Brazilian market or nurseries. I would say Huernia kenyensis, H. schneideriana, Stapelia grandiflora, Orbea variegata and a few other species.
They are quite common here, and the explanation is: they are very easy to care, and they are easily multiplied by cuttings. To tell you the truth, apart from the mealy bugs, they present no problems at all and it is really hard to kill them, even when overwatering them.
For me, it is surprising to hear that they are difficult to grow. Exactly the same is valid for Haworthias here (few species, but all very easy to grow).
I see two possible explanations for that:
1) The climate here favors Asclepiads and Haworthias growing and/or
2) The species we have here are the easy ones, and you are growing the difficult ones.
I water my Asclepiads regularly, maybe twice a week or more. They can get lots of rain too.
I would suggest you to do some experiments. Divide your Asclepiads in three or four parts, plant them in a well-draining mix, and to each one, give a different water regime: every other day (so you will lose your fear of overwatering them), once a week, once every 15 days and once a month. See what happens then.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hi mmcavall! I wish you could make a thread about your succulent displays too, if that is not extremely difficult for you, I am in LOVE with your displays, I am drooling over the images in this thread. :P I just wanted to say you are an inspiration to me, thank you for sharing and I wish your plants thrive in your care always! :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

That is good advice and I think that's what I'm going to need to do. I suspect I am now watering them not enough, as I've certainly over-watered in the past with poorly draining soil and caused rot (I think that was the root cause of the rot). My watering behavior probably mimics a pendulum swinging to the extremes. With an experiment like you described, I should be able to dial the soil and water in. We are headed into spring time here so it would be a great time for this trial.