New plants for Spring of 2016

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
graffiti

New plants for Spring of 2016

Post by graffiti »

This weekend was the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society show and sale, and I decided I'd take the trip to see what all the fuss was about. Added a few new plants to my collection. I did my best not to buy too much... but I'm sure you guys know how it is.

The Titanopsis and the Stapilia (Duvalia?) are new genera for me, and any advice anyone wants to offer on cultivation would be gladly accepted. Any guesses on the second one that I label as potentially Sulcorbutia would be appreciated as well.

My favorite of the bunch, a plant I'd been looking to lay my dirty little paws on for a year or so, Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus var. elephantidens. This one looked quite nice. Has a Miles' To Go tag.

A Sulcorbutia? Nobody at the table knew what it was (how do you sell cacti to collectors that isn't labeled... oh, wait, by knocking a dollar off and saying 'give it a try!') I'm just guessing it's a Rebutia or Sulcorbutia. Any guesses?

Titanopsis hugo-schlechteri. Been looking for something in this genus for a while now. Don't know why it's so uncommon.

Euphorbia polygona 'Snowflake'. In the show part of the gathering, somebody had brought this Snowflake. I decided I had to try one.

A Tephrocactus articulatus with a broken off top. :( Oh well, two for one, I guess. I generally avoid glochids, but this was too nice to pass up for $5. Sitting in a pot with a Pelargonium tomentosum 'Peppermint'... Does that count as a succulent?

Labeled as a Stapelia gettleffii hybrid, someone on another forum pointed out that it looked a lot more like a Duvalia, maybe D. corderoyi. Or maybe a hybrid between the two.

http://i.imgur.com/a5TVNtd.jpg

Agave titanota 'Blue Ball'. I mean, who wouldn't buy an agave called "Blue Ball"?

Cleistocactus sp.. Labeled at the table as Pilocereus sp.. Lady agreed that clearly wasn't what it was. As I was looking for a Cleistocactus strausii, that's what I'm believing it is until proven wrong.

And last but not least, this weird "Ariocarpus". "That's what it said on the seed packet from Holland." Okay. Good call. Sure. Ariocarpus.

Atozbotanicals

Re: New plants for Spring of 2016

Post by Atozbotanicals »

That’s a nice loph., and also that does look like C. straussi, the only Pilosocereus I know of that looks remotely similar is P. chrysostele but that isn’t it
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
jp29

Re: New plants for Spring of 2016

Post by jp29 »

Not new for 2016 - but I intend to grow Uebelmannia pectinifera once more in 2018

James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image