My Cacti 2016

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

Re: My Cacti 2016

Post by hegar »

Not much going on at this time of the year. It has been rather hot and dry and some of the cacti are showing stress symptoms, ranging from discoloration to shriveling epidermis to shrinkage in size.
My one and only Echinocereus enneacanthus did bloom. However, the day the plant decided to do so I had a club meeting.
When I returned, there was very little light, but the blossoms were still somewhat open. So I tried to take a photo using the trusted flashlight. That did not turn out too well (see image). The next morning there was enough ambient light, but most of the blossoms had closed or were nearly closed. I did take two more pictures.
With a little luck I will be able to see a few more blossoms later in the year.

Harald
Attachments
Echinocereus enneacanthus1a.jpg
Echinocereus enneacanthus1a.jpg (199.72 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
E_enneacanthus1b.jpg
E_enneacanthus1b.jpg (331.34 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
E_enneacanthus1c.jpg
E_enneacanthus1c.jpg (242.27 KiB) Viewed 2550 times
Maury

Post by Maury »

Harald,

I have truly enjoyed seeing your cactus blooms over the years. You have inspired me to create a cactus bed of my own here in Austin, Texas. I have taken quite a few pictures and I am trying to see how best to publish them on my blog. I have many questions and cactus problems you could probably help me solve. More to come.

Maury
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Maury,
I am pleased and honored, that my postings and digital images of flowering cacti have inspired you. Of course, I shall be available for any help and advice that you may need. However, you need to be aware, that I am not even the best cactus grower or expert of even my little local cactus and rock club. I am still making a lot of mistakes trying to keep my plants alive and lose some of them every year.
This time around I have to report, that I have several losses to report, including my biggest Ariocarpus fissuratus plant. That cactus had been with me since at least the year 2006. Early this spring I noticed, that it was losing its grey-green color and thought, that perhaps the sun was too strong. So I put a little bit of coarse sand from an arroyo on it to protect it from the sun's rays. Well, it seems, that the plant did actually die of a rot, that most likely was acquired during the winter months.
Other cacti that bit the dust were an Astrophytum capricorne, one Echinocactus horizonthalonius, and my only Echinomastus intertextus. I may have forgotten some more, that are no longer with me.
Well, some plants - after a long, hot, stressful summer - seem to have handled the weather well and, now, with the temperatures remaining below 100 degrees F and after some rainfall, are starting to flower once more.
Here are some of the cacti that were blooming today in the following order: Astrophytum asterias, Escobaria tuberculosa, Mammillaria grahamii and a Thelocactus heterochromus with a huge flower bud. Tomorrow it should bloom, along with Echinopsis eyriesii. I shall then post those images.

Harald
Attachments
A_asterias4a.jpg
A_asterias4a.jpg (283.02 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
A_asterias4c.jpg
A_asterias4c.jpg (286.48 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
A_asterias4d.jpg
A_asterias4d.jpg (250.33 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
E_tuberculosa1b.jpg
E_tuberculosa1b.jpg (269.39 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
E_tuberculosa3.jpg
E_tuberculosa3.jpg (225.28 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
M_grahamii2.jpg
M_grahamii2.jpg (270.69 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
M_grahamii3.jpg
M_grahamii3.jpg (303.33 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
T_heterochromus1.jpg
T_heterochromus1.jpg (312.28 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, today was the big event and the Thelocactus heterochromus opened its huge flower bud. Because all day long there were clouds in the sky and we even had a little drizzle, the blossoms did not open all the way. I did go ahead and used a ruler, in order to figure out the size of the flower. It measured 6 cm (about 2 1/2 inches) in diameter. The last time this plant flowered it rained, before I was able to take a picture. That image of the flower was not pleasing, because of the small rain droplets it looked like the blossom was suffering from chickenpox.
This time around though the pictures are better. So, without further ado, here they are:

Harald
Attachments
T_heterochromus1a.jpg
T_heterochromus1a.jpg (283.52 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
T_heterochromus1b.jpg
T_heterochromus1b.jpg (298.59 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
T_heterochromus1c.jpg
T_heterochromus1c.jpg (248.78 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today two additional cacti opened their blossoms. One of them flowered the first time. It is a smaller plant with smaller and slightly darker blossoms, but it does resemble the Thelocactus heterochromus that bloomed yesterday. The spine color would also indicate its close relationship with the former.
The second plant that bloomed, but for the second time this year is a Thelocactus rinconensis var. freudenbergii.
Its flowers are smaller and display a lighter pink color. Nevertheless, it too is a beauty.
Tonight I should have ten or more blossoms open on my Echinopsis eyriesii clump. This cactus too blooms several times each year and has huge, white flowers. It should have its blossoms open though by the time I leave for work. I only hope, that it is not raining then.

Harald
Attachments
Thelocactus sp1b.jpg
Thelocactus sp1b.jpg (297.82 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Thelocactus sp1d.jpg
Thelocactus sp1d.jpg (256.77 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
T_rincon_freudenbergii2a.jpg
T_rincon_freudenbergii2a.jpg (307.68 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
T_rincon_freudenbergii2c.jpg
T_rincon_freudenbergii2c.jpg (247.68 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
T_rincon_freudenbergii2d.jpg
T_rincon_freudenbergii2d.jpg (259.13 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, here I am again.
Today four different genera of cacti were in bloom. I had only expected one of them to be flowering. :)
One of the surprises was the Escobaria vivipara. This is a native cactus and I do not think, that it has a pretty flower. By the time I came back from worik at almost 7 p.m. the flowers had already partially closed.
Another cactus with even less conspicuous and in addition small blossoms is the native Opuntia leptocaulis. However, when magnified, even those flowers are kind of nice.
The third cactus was expected to have open flowers and I needed to photograph it before going to work. This is the night-blooming Echinopsis eyriesii. Its flowers are large and the plant blooms repeatedly every year. A year ago, I did have over 30 flowers on my cactus clump. That was rather impressive.
The last cactus in bloom today was the Echinocereus cinarescens. It did not flower when it usually does and I thought, that it would not do me the favor and bloom. A lot of the flower buds even looked, like they had been roasted by the sun!
I do love the large, vivid rose-colored blossoms on those stems. It too is one of my favorite plants.

Harald
Attachments
E_vivipara2a.jpg
E_vivipara2a.jpg (294.65 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
E_vivipara2b.jpg
E_vivipara2b.jpg (266.46 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
O_leptocaulis2c.jpg
O_leptocaulis2c.jpg (202.26 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
O_leptocaulis3a.jpg
O_leptocaulis3a.jpg (225.68 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
E_eyriesii4b.jpg
E_eyriesii4b.jpg (299.03 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
E_eyriesii4c.jpg
E_eyriesii4c.jpg (228.34 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
E_cinarescens2a.jpg
E_cinarescens2a.jpg (327.5 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
E_cinarescens2b.jpg
E_cinarescens2b.jpg (322.25 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
E_cinarescens2c.jpg
E_cinarescens2c.jpg (284.15 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

When I arrived home from work, I noticed yet another cactus in bloom. I do like this plant (Echinocactus horizonthalonius), because of its grey-green stout body and its vividly colored medium-size blossoms. This native cactus also flowers several times, usually in about two weeks following a rainstorm.

Harald
Attachments
E_horizonthalonius5a.jpg
E_horizonthalonius5a.jpg (289.23 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
E_horizonthalonius5b.jpg
E_horizonthalonius5b.jpg (284.8 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

A few days ago I returned from a one-month vacation to Germany. I do not know, if any of my cacti flowered during my absence. However, a short time before leaving two of them did.
The first one is some kind of Thelocactus, possibly T. bicolor or heterochromus, which flowered on September 7th.
I am posting two images of the flowering plant.
The other image was taken on September 8th. The clump of Echinopsis eyriesii was once again producing some of its large, magnificent blossoms. Here is one of the images I took that day.
The only cactus that might still try to bloom this late in the year might perhaps be one off the Ariocarpus spp. Unfortunately, it will not be an A. fissuratus. My large and old specimen developed a rot and is no longer with me. :(

Harald
Attachments
T_bicolor3c.jpg
T_bicolor3c.jpg (257.41 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
T_bicolor3d.jpg
T_bicolor3d.jpg (237.67 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
E_eyriesii4e.jpg
E_eyriesii4e.jpg (228.46 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Maury

Post by Maury »

What you call E. perbellus I have been calling E. armatus.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Xfk6cIzndrc/ ... 00/525.JPG