My Cacti 2016

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

My Cacti 2016

Post by hegar »

Well, this year the cacti started to flower a little sooner than usual. The first two, or perhaps three species all belong to the genus Echinocereus.
I photographed the plants on March 25th. The plant named "unknown" is similar to the claret cup (Echinocereus coccineus), but the blossom is smaller. Also, the flower only lasts three days, while those of the claret cup look presentable for at least one week.

Harald
Attachments
Cactus Bed1a.jpg
Cactus Bed1a.jpg (314.58 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
E_vir_chlor1a.jpg
E_vir_chlor1a.jpg (323.46 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
E_vir_chlor2a.jpg
E_vir_chlor2a.jpg (308.9 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
E_coccineus1a.jpg
E_coccineus1a.jpg (320.15 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
E_coccineus2a.jpg
E_coccineus2a.jpg (302.64 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
E_coccineus and unknown1a.jpg
E_coccineus and unknown1a.jpg (325.66 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
E_coccineus and unknown2a.jpg
E_coccineus and unknown2a.jpg (327.58 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
unknown1a.jpg
unknown1a.jpg (315.64 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
K.W.

Re: My Cacti 2016

Post by K.W. »

Bravo Harald!
(or Bravo to Your plants. . . ) :wink:

=D> =D> =D>

Best wishes

K.W.

PS I like to see more!!!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for appreciating my first cactus flowers. It certainly is exciting - at least for me - to see the cacti come to life every spring.
Of course, I shall oblige, and more digital images are definitely to follow.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Here are three more images that I took today. You will see the Echinocereus coccineus in the back, while the hybrid E x roetteri with its salmon-colored blossoms started to flower yesterday. Its flowers are a little bit smaller than the brick-red blooming claret cup.

Harald
Attachments
E_cocc and E x roetteri2a.jpg
E_cocc and E x roetteri2a.jpg (310.46 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
E_ xroetteri1a.jpg
E_ xroetteri1a.jpg (318.61 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
E_xroetteri1b.jpg
E_xroetteri1b.jpg (277.97 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today, two additional cacti were flowering. The first one portrayed is the "Pride of Texas" (Thelocactus bicolor). I almost missed seeing this blooming plant, because there are some wildflowers in the cactus bed, which obscure the view.
The second cactus also almost did not get noticed. Although it was "out in the open", the flower is not very large and I did not see it at first glance.
This plant is the first of the Escobaria tuberculosa (corn cob cactus) to bloom this year.

Harald

P.S.: For those viewers who would like to take a look at the amazing Orogrande, NM hybrid claret cup cacti, I did post a large number of images of these plants in bloom. The annual visit to Orogrande, New Mexico is for me the highlight of the cactus blooming season, because there are just so many plants growing there that show flowers ranging in color from pure white to pink, orange and red. I have gone there for the last six years or so and always posted a series of photos I took on those excursions. My avatar shows one of the naturally occurring hybrids. However, that one had a pretty large flower and spines resembling those of the parent Echinocereus dasyacanthus. Most of the images shown in the section "Cacti Places" are those of plants that more closely resemble the parent Echinocereus coccineus (claret cup). The hybrids are named Echinocereus x roetteri.
Attachments
Thelo_bicolor1a.jpg
Thelo_bicolor1a.jpg (278.71 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Thelo_bicolor3a.jpg
Thelo_bicolor3a.jpg (254.09 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Esc_tuberc1a.jpg
Esc_tuberc1a.jpg (294.14 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
Esc_tuberc2a.jpg
Esc_tuberc2a.jpg (253.9 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

On March 29th I submitted images of the claret cup (Echinocereus coccineus) in bloom. Then a while later, March 31st, the hybrid of E. coccineus and E. dasyacanthus started flowering. Today the last blossom opend on the E. coccineus, while the hybrid (E. x roetteri) is still covered with flowers, but they are on their way out. However, the first image shows both of them in flower, plus the other main parent of the hybrid, the Echinocereus dasyacanthus (Texa Rainbow). I do love that plant, with its huge yellow flowers. There is a hybrid also formed, which displays the large blossom, but may have various colors. My avatar is one of those hybrids, which occur naturally in the Jarilla Mountains near Orogrande, New Mexico. That plant I encountered on my first field trip there about six years ago and I have posted hundreds of digital images of these plants in flower in the "Cacti Places" blog on this site.
The other cacti that were flowering were three Opuntia spp. (prickly pears): O. violacea, O. macrocentra, and some red-flowering hybrid with edible fruit (most likely O. engelmannii is one of the parents).
Also, the small, easily offsetting cactus Escobaria sneedii was blooming, as was the even smaller Turbinicarpus valdezianus. The latter is a very tough plant, despite its tiny size. Its body is only about the diameter of a penny! That is after it has been in the ground for five or six years. The maximum diameter does not get bigger than an average thumb. It is also less than one inch in height. However, the flowers dwarf this plant.
Both of these tiny beauties are sporting two flowers each. I am trying to expand my collection of the genus Turbinicarpus and also Ariocarpus, another slow growing and valuable cactus genus. That way I can have many more plants in my limited space. I will have to sacrifice most of my prickly pear plants though, in order to make room.
Well, I am also submitting a picture of a small piece of my Quenn of the Night (Peniocereus greggii) cactus. There are nine buds aligned in a row. If these are all going to bloom, it will be a sight to behold. Of course, I shall post images of that spectacle as soon as I get them taken.

Harald
Attachments
Echinocereus spp.jpg
Echinocereus spp.jpg (320.5 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
E_dasyacanthus1.jpg
E_dasyacanthus1.jpg (301.85 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
E_dasyacanthus2.jpg
E_dasyacanthus2.jpg (249.15 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
E_dasyacanthus3.jpg
E_dasyacanthus3.jpg (235.47 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
O_violacea.jpg
O_violacea.jpg (247.55 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
O_macrocentra.jpg
O_macrocentra.jpg (215.45 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
O_hybrid.jpg
O_hybrid.jpg (244.44 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Esc_sneedii.jpg
Esc_sneedii.jpg (256.39 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
T_valdezianus1.jpg
T_valdezianus1.jpg (239.88 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
T_valdezianus2.jpg
T_valdezianus2.jpg (231.92 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
T_valdezianus3.jpg
T_valdezianus3.jpg (232.82 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
P_greggii buds.jpg
P_greggii buds.jpg (322.8 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Excellent stuff Harald! Can't believe you have so many blooms already! It seems like my plants are taking their sweet time. How often are you watering? I think it has to do with elevation since I am out in the valley it may not get as warm yet.

Everything looks great!

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mark,
thank you for your nice comment. It is interesting to hear, that your plants are not yet ready to flower. I always thought, that mine were the "slow pokes", because at Peter Beste's place the cacti bloom about two weeks earlier than in my front yard. My boss showed me an Opuntia aciculatus that was already in bloom. I had given him a pad to grow and it was looking fabulous, did add several more stem sections and to top it off that nice red flower! My plant does not even show any flower buds. :(
Well, like with so many other things, there is also trouble in paradise here. I did lose one of my Peniocereus greggii plants, also the "Early Bloomer", which had looked fine earlier in the year, a Thelocactus heterochromus plant, and a clump of three stems of Echinocereus pectinatus. The latter was my pride and joy. A few years back I would take an hour of annual leave in order to extend my lunch break and race home, just so I could take a few good snapshots of that plant. Fortunately, I do have another one, albeit not as big as the one I lost.
Also, after I had taken the tarp off my cacti, placed there to protect them from frost damage, and then did a little weeding and cleaning up around the cacti, one of my small favorites, a Mammillaria with a dense white layer of spines, resembling either a M. herrerae or perhaps M. humboldtii, was nowhere to be found. If it had shriveled up, I should have been able to locate the remains, but the whole thing just vanished. :x
Well, I shall fill the empty spaces as quickly as possible.
I hope, that your plants will soon start with their flowering cycles. Perhaps, I will be able to post a few more images tomorrow. However, with the cool temperatures forecast and the good chance for rain, I most likely will have to wait another day or two. The Echinocereus fendleri is about ready to open the flower buds and so is a plant sold to me as Echinocereus coahuilense. To me it does look like E. pectinatus.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, today was another good day in the cactus patch.
I am going to post images of Ancistrocactus uncinatus , Echinocereus pectinatus, Echinocereus fendleri, Echinocereus dasyacanthus, Echinocereus coahuilense (could be synonym for E. pectinatus), Turbinicarpus laui, and Opuntia rufida. I did attach a scientific name to each image.
Because I am running out of space for the plants, I intend to get rid of almost all of my prickly pear cacti. They grow just too fast and cannot coexist well with my other slow growing and small cacti. Their flowers, however, are large, numerous and beautiful.

Harald
Attachments
Ancistrocactus uncinatus1a.jpg
Ancistrocactus uncinatus1a.jpg (323.26 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Ancistrocactus uncinatus1b.jpg
Ancistrocactus uncinatus1b.jpg (293.05 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus pectinatus1b.jpg
Echinocereus pectinatus1b.jpg (252.97 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus pectinatus1a.jpg
Echinocereus pectinatus1a.jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus fendleri1a.jpg
Echinocereus fendleri1a.jpg (316.03 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus fendleri1b.jpg
Echinocereus fendleri1b.jpg (253.56 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus dasyacanthus1a.jpg
Echinocereus dasyacanthus1a.jpg (213.5 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus dasyacanthus1b.jpg
Echinocereus dasyacanthus1b.jpg (263.96 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Echinocereus coahuilense.jpg
Echinocereus coahuilense.jpg (240.29 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Turbinicarpus laui.jpg
Turbinicarpus laui.jpg (286.74 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Opuntia rufida1a.jpg
Opuntia rufida1a.jpg (260.3 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
Opuntia rufida1b.jpg
Opuntia rufida1b.jpg (209.88 KiB) Viewed 3815 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Cactus Friends,

today only one cactus had produced a flower. It is a plant being crowded out by prickly pear plants. To the best of my knowledge, this is an Echinocereus x roetteri, one of the naturally occurring claret-cup cacti found in Orogrande, NM.

Harald
Attachments
Echinocereus x roetteri5a.jpg
Echinocereus x roetteri5a.jpg (257.21 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
Echinocereus x roetteri5b.jpg
Echinocereus x roetteri5b.jpg (206.02 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today the following plants flowered: Opuntia macrocarpa, Sclerocactus (Ancistrocactus) uncinatus, and Thelocactus rinconensis var. freudenbergii.
Here are the pictures:

Harald
Attachments
O_macrocentra1a.jpg
O_macrocentra1a.jpg (210.77 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
O_macrocentra1b.jpg
O_macrocentra1b.jpg (223.24 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
Sclerocactus uncinatus2.jpg
Sclerocactus uncinatus2.jpg (294.31 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
T_rinconensis var freudenbergii1a.jpg
T_rinconensis var freudenbergii1a.jpg (286.47 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
T_rinconensis var freudenbergii1b.jpg
T_rinconensis var freudenbergii1b.jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

This year things are not working out well for me. I have missed the opportunity to take digital images of several cacti, which decided to flower, when I was at work. By the time I am home the blossoms are closed. :(
One plant, that has seen better days is a pink-flowering Echinocereus x roetteri hybrid. It has several stems, but decided to only produce one flower bud.
I shall try to get this plant going better next year by applying a special spray early in the spring.

By the end of the week, however, I should be able to post a few images of the Queen of the Night (Peniocereus greggii) cactus. Hopefully, the weather will be better than it was last year, when just during that event we did have several showers during the night hours.

Harald
Attachments
E_roetteri6a.jpg
E_roetteri6a.jpg (286.13 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
E_roetteri6b.jpg
E_roetteri6b.jpg (228.22 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Stunning flowers. They always look much better grown in the ground.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for your comment, adetheproducer, some of the plants are doing fine this year, others are a disappointment compared to last year.
I even lost a few nice plants, including a Leuchtenbergia principis that despite having been in the ground for about 5 years never flowered. Then the tops of the tubercles died back and I noticed today, that those were not even attached to the base. They had rotted off. Fortunately, I purchased another plant just a week ago. That one I planted in a different location. Perhaps the new spot is a better choice.
Today two cacti decided to flower. One is a Thelocactus hexaedrophorus. Because of the spines and two blossoms being in each other's way, the flowers did not open normally. It did look nicer last year.
The other plant is an "unknown". I do not know, what happened to the label that was in the ground next to it. The body does have an almost pentagon-like shape. Maybe someone, who takes a look at my images, will be able to help me out with an identification for this one.
Could it be some kind of Echinocereus or am I way off?

Harald
Attachments
T_hexaedrophorus.jpg
T_hexaedrophorus.jpg (209.08 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
unknown.jpg
unknown.jpg (269.31 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

It's an echinocereus knippelianus kruegeri I got one the same but with whiter flowers. The flower was open defore I took this picture but I was busy earlier and didn't get to take a picture but it's flowers last a couple of days so should get a better picture tomorrow.
Attachments
20160430_210331.jpg
20160430_210331.jpg (103.9 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND