Warm weather means

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
keith

Warm weather means

Post by keith »

Spider mite aren't they cute ? Last week I thought maybe I saw evidence so sprayed them with insecticide soap which did nothing as usual. So I had to get out the real stuff and hopefully this does the trick for the whole year. I was taking pictures which is how I spotted them. I get them almost every year. These were on Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus which usually gets them first and worst.
Attachments
spider mite yuck
spider mite yuck
IMG_2675.JPG (65.63 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Turbinicarpus valdezianus
Turbinicarpus valdezianus
IMG_2669.JPG (49.47 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Turbinicarpus valdezianus white flr
Turbinicarpus valdezianus white flr
IMG_2670.JPG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Mammillaria coahuilense
Mammillaria coahuilense
IMG_2674.JPG (76.12 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
the real stuff
the real stuff
IMG_2677.JPG (47.49 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Spider mite food
Spider mite food
IMG_2678.JPG (58.32 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
keith

Re: Warm weather means

Post by keith »

The insecticide soap is useful for rinsing out my sprayer.
keith

Post by keith »

Looks Ok now. Wish I had another so I could pollinate but my other 2 died from rot. All 3 were in same pot so I got this survivor out in time.
I have seedlings in a few years they will have flowers just have to wait. I find these harder to grow than some other turb's. In my case that means they probably need a acid soil since my soil is mixed with diatomaceous earth which I think is alkaline. probably mix in some oak leaf mold or something or maybe I did and thats why they get pests easier than the rest of my collection? Can't remember because it was a emergency re potting so I just did it quick.

My pedio simpsonii which are a compost based mix always get pests mealy bugs and spider mite. PITA
Attachments
Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus
Turb.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
keith

Post by keith »

Somewhat easier to grow than pseudopectinatus. They also can get spider mite. They do well in a part Diatomaceous earth mix , keeps the insect pests down.
Attachments
Turbinicarpus valdezianus var. albiflorus
Turbinicarpus valdezianus var. albiflorus
20160223_122513_resized.jpg (82.99 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Looking good! what do you use as the proper spider mite killer? I've had a bit of an outbreak here and need to find something that actually kills them. :-k
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
keith

Post by keith »

Hi I use Kelthane also called Dicofol and is most often sold as Dienochlor (Pentac Aquaflow, Pentac WP).

I've had my bottle of Kelthane forever I can't find it at any store in California. years ago no problem .

I think its still sold I found this. There might be better Miticides available now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelthane-Mitici ... 1592937968" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
keith

Post by keith »

by Forbid™ 4F Miticide
4.5 out of 5 stars 28 customer reviews
| 7 answered questions
Price: $206.50 + $5.49 shipping

whoa that's expensive must be the pot growers ??
keith

Post by keith »

A better picture. I ordered some other miticide TETRASAN from flytrapcare.com

See how that works out. Supposed to kill mite eggs .
Attachments
IMG_2682.JPG (65.54 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
keith

Post by keith »

The Kelthane will kill the adults and a couple weeks later I can spray TetraSan to kill any eggs and nymphal mites. Hard to find small qty's. of miticide everything is geared to big pot farms. A One Gallon mixture is enough for my entire collection. Never used anything for mites but Kelthane but I think after reading on CactiGuide I should switch miticides around once and awhile.

Have to check for mealy bugs later I have found Imidacloprid works very well for root mealy bugs not as well for spine mealy bugs.

This post should have gone to the pest section my bad.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hey Keith, I've been using TetraSan ever since Dean Stock recommended it to me a few years ago. I've found that it's highly effective, although I do see some wisdom with regard to rotating miticides. I haven't tried Kelthane before -- do you happen to know if it's a translaminar? Reason I ask is that they're more effective than contact miticides, and TetraSan is translaminar.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
keith

Post by keith »

Kelthane is unavailable anymore in CA and I don't think its being made anywhere? A web search failed to find any outside of Australia on Ebay.

I received the TetraSan its small brown pellets that I guess dissolve in water ? Mites are gone for now so I'll probably try this maybe late spring or Summer or if I see mites again.
keith

Post by keith »

Warm weather also means flowers. Time to pollinate and attempt to get seeds. I use sable paint brushes.
Attachments
Turbinicarpus alonsii
Turbinicarpus alonsii
20160304_112149_resized.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele
turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele
20160301_124559_resized.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
RichR

Post by RichR »

Keith, your plants look great. I especially like the turbs. I just noticed spider mite webs on one of my echinopsis hybrids. I sprayed it with diluted alcohol but will probably have to treat with Avid eventually.
keith

Post by keith »

A reliable bloomer so far. I bought it on Ebay from a Texas seller many years ago.
Attachments
Echinocereus reichenbachii
Echinocereus reichenbachii
cactus.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
keith

Post by keith »

Early spring Flowers over now just waiting for the Escobaria minima to bloom. Epi Bokeii seem to be doing well in the diatomaceous earth mix. I suspect some other cactus don't like it at all ? I'm guessing they don't like it if they get stunted and quit flowering ? Mammillaria theresae might not like it? Maybe wants a more acidic soil ? I read it lives in rock cracks in the mountains of Mexico. Decomposed granite might work better ? have to try it. Or maybe its just hard to grow.

Down at the lower right you can see one lone small Echinomastus erectrocentrus , it doesn't like anything and soon will lose its roots like its siblings did. And they did so well in AZ must be the heat ?
Attachments
cactus bench
cactus bench
20160517_193656_resized.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 2708 times