End of Summer

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
keith

End of Summer

Post by keith »

Been very hot here in S. CA. Cactus are all growing now just like the end of monsoon season in the desert where they are from. Lost a few cactus and germinated a few more 2015.
Attachments
cactus benches
cactus benches
IMG_2553.JPG (59.84 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
More cactus all N american
More cactus all N american
IMG_2554.JPG (100.04 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
Some big Ariocarpus
Some big Ariocarpus
IMG_2557.JPG (102.77 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
Ariocapus fissuraus v. loydii
Ariocapus fissuraus v. loydii
IMG_2567.JPG (76.73 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
M. herrerea  over 20 yrs old
M. herrerea over 20 yrs old
IMG_2565.JPG (74.7 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
M albicans summer flowers
M albicans summer flowers
IMG_2551.JPG (62.26 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
keith

Re: End of Summer

Post by keith »

Straighten the picture camera software shows it straight but loads it at 90 degrees off.
Attachments
M. albicans
M. albicans
IMG_2551.JPG (45.16 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

I just love all the cacti in your collection, so it's hard to single out anything in particular. You and I are supposed to be getting some decent rain in a couple of days -- hope it comes, because late-summer rain should be perfect cactus weather here in SoCal.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Steve, yes we have the same style of growing cactus in the hand built wood frame benches. Long ago I had a bench setup just like you do back when I lived in a Townhome. It was back then I started growing cactus from seed. I found Mesa gardens from a tip received at Abbey gardens in Carpenteria, in the days before the internet. And then 3 years in Phoenix AZ my collection increased at least 5x nice big cactus at half the cost of California which is funny because they often bought cactus from California. Also in AZ they imported cactus dug up in Texas where apparently there are no laws against it and sold them really cheap. When I moved back to Cali I gave away half my collection it was just too big to move hopefully they are planted and doing well back in AZ?

Miles2go in Tucson if you can visit him its worth the trip I bought many rare cactus from him.
Attachments
Mammillaria pectinifera typical Miles2go cactus
Mammillaria pectinifera typical Miles2go cactus
IMG_2560.JPG (75.84 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

Beautiful beautiful cacti, the last one ^ Mammillaria pectinifera is really nice!
keith

Post by keith »

mammillaria supertexta grew from seed a long time ago doesn't really look like supertexta to me? And the Ario waiting for fall flowers hopefully
Attachments
mammillaria supertexta ?
mammillaria supertexta ?
IMG_2495.JPG (73.69 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
Ariocarpus retusus
Ariocarpus retusus
IMG_2568.JPG (84.94 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
keith

Post by keith »

Mammillaria herrerea from 2012 now out with mature cactus same sunlight , etc. My own seeds which are not easy to get requires steady hand, tweezers and 4X magnifier.
Attachments
Mammillaria herrerea
Mammillaria herrerea
IMG_2563.JPG (69.32 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
C And D

Post by C And D »

Your supertexta looks like Mammillaria crucigera or Mammillaria crucigera subsp. tlalocii

Did it start out as 2 headed (tlalocii)? or split dichotomously (crucigera)?

what City do you live in Keith?
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Craig, I cut the head off it many years ago to try and get a clump. It was part of a Mesa garden seed order. I had a bunch of them some had central spines. Easier than crucigera IMO.

I live in Moorpark CA . North of you in Ventura co. I used to go to Abby Gardens That's the first nursery that I found that specialized in cactus. I still have some Abby plants from ~1990. Not many but a few.

Heres Ariocarpus hintonii I bought at miles many years ago. I have two of them I should have bought more . Do you happen to know where I can get a few M. luethyi ?? Not grafted own roots would be best but a graft is Ok.
Attachments
Ariocarpus hintonii
Ariocarpus hintonii
IMG_2578.JPG (103.05 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Miles2go has some in stock right now. They are grafted but you could always degraft them.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

keith wrote:Do you happen to know where I can get a few M. luethyi ?? Not grafted own roots would be best but a graft is Ok.
In Europe there are many for sale now, as they are being mass propagated both non-grafted and grafted ones for cheaters. You can always order seeds to grow them yourself. Much cheaper, and easier to order from Europe.
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

Wonderful plants, Keith.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
keith

Post by keith »

Fall flowering Ariocarpus from West Texas blooming in different shades of pink. I got these in Arizona many years ago and they seem to like California alright. They did pretty good in Phoenix even at 115F while many of my other succulents didn't. I Grow them under 50% shade cloth. Seeds germinate easy but grow really slow. Don't need much water but when I do water I flood them. The bottom pictured plant oozed a clear white sap from the side of its big tap root all winter a few years ago I thought it was a goner, took it out of its pot stored it inside and let it hang bare root supported upright in a clay pot. Sap came out for months and then it seemed to dry out so I replanted in the Spring. Seems OK now.
Attachments
Ariocarpus fissuratus
Ariocarpus fissuratus
IMG_2579.JPG (87.12 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Ariocarpus fissuratus
Ariocarpus fissuratus
IMG_2582.JPG (79.94 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
keith

Post by keith »

Winter time now the Ario retusus always flowers about 1 month later than Fissuratus. the Astrophtum asterias is a plant I have trouble keeping alive here are 3 survivors left from 6 I grew from seed back in 2006. Keep dry in winter and no frost.
Attachments
Ariocarpus retusus
Ariocarpus retusus
IMG_2605.JPG (71.26 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Astrophytum asterias
Astrophytum asterias
IMG_2606.JPG (98.7 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
keith

Post by keith »

Winter bloomers Turbinicarpus jauernigii which are almost blooming right now, maybe tomorrow . Slow growers but not too hard to keep alive.
Attachments
Turbinicarpus jauernigii
Turbinicarpus jauernigii
IMG_2603.JPG (91.11 KiB) Viewed 2253 times