Ideas for Activities to do with the Kids :)

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
KittieKAT

Ideas for Activities to do with the Kids :)

Post by KittieKAT »

As everyone is prob familiar with my endless rants about the small community program i run with kids and youth in my town in my home and local parks in the area. I was given these plants for the kids to enjoy and grow a while ago and they had suffered shipping shock so i have been allowing them to get some growth on them a bit before taking them to one of the parks to do an putdoor activity with some of the kids in the community and our members. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on activities we could do with these plants, i was thinking they could repot them and give them to their mothers/grandmothers or guardians for mothers dsy or bring them home to grow and study on their own .

But im open for suggestions on new and fun things we can do involving these plants and gardening..etc..etc. But still making it fun and entertaining for the kids to keep their attentions and interested :) i went to the park today to sign up members for an activity and they were more interested in playing in the sprinklers and asking ne questions about my scooter and wearing my helmet and beeping the horn and reving it!
Since we are a small group im really in need to get more group members to sign up and be involved outside of the park activities and with the learning and exploration of plants in my home on the new sun porch greenhouse when its renovated.
So i would love to get some suggestions from my friends on here and ideas on some fun activities to do with the kids in my community and in my group program so we can get closer to becoming a registered nonprofit organization :)

Thank u in advance for your responses and your help and support :D
Attachments
One of the kids looking for seedling and removing weeds
One of the kids looking for seedling and removing weeds
20150625_202300.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Plants for activity
Plants for activity
20150626_230453-1.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
KittieKAT

Re: Ideas for Activities to do with the Kids :)

Post by KittieKAT »

Sorry for the long run on sentances hahaha
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Still toooo rainy to do an activity so suggestions are still welcome until the sun comes out :)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I work with high school students and they have a little more interest about plants. If you are working with younger kids, make it a game or have them come up with the ideas and include your scooter as part of the project. Your helmet, why not have them come up with ideas on how to use other objects as planters. But not your helmet. :lol:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Eeek! My scooter is out of the question after one of the kids (pictured) attempted a joy ride by accident!! Oh ny goodness, but my helmet thats safety at its best!! Hahaha this little one looked like a little alien (pictured)
Attachments
Joy rider!
Joy rider!
20150626_163615.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
All fun and games ...until he started my scooter on it alone!
All fun and games ...until he started my scooter on it alone!
20150626_163946.jpg (304.12 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
One of my martian friends lol
One of my martian friends lol
20150626_164132.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
Glad to see atleast one kids interested in stopping to smell the roses and study them!
Glad to see atleast one kids interested in stopping to smell the roses and study them!
IMG_0502.jpg (74.55 KiB) Viewed 2251 times
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

I'm sure it must have been done a million times, but a fun way to get kids involved in gardening is sowing / planting a pumpkin patch with the promise of having pumpkins for Halloween - if you can find the space, that is.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea space is hard :( we only have the small greenhouse sunporch to house plants for kids who want to come and have a bigger exploration into different plants, other times we go to Parks in the community and get the kids involved in planting or sowing seeds their or in a pot to take home ..play games and enjoy nature around us. Do plant hunts and stuff like that :) reguardless of space we still have fun - i just hope the weather gets better to do more with them!
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Those are small guys, they might eat the soil first. :lol:
lopinweapon

Post by lopinweapon »

Do not know if this will help. In Bible school we would go out and find any flower or leaf that we liked. Then bring back and iron then between wax paper and keep them in a notebook labeled. At the end their was a prize for the most that were labeled right. Also would find rocks that we could image into something else and paint like a turtle or chicken or what ever your imagination could come up with.
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. JW
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Lopin thats a great idea! Thank u. With the internet i think it would be easy for the kids to cheat guessing plants name lol but the rock thing sounds really fun they can put them in their planters :)
Unfortunatly.. One of the little buggers got me sick a week ago and im still too contagious to go near any of them...ahrg!! Sooo im missing all the nice weather where we could be doing something fun ](*,) oooh well till better days i guess!