my cacti killer roomate strikes again... :,(

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
KittieKAT

my cacti killer roomate strikes again... :,(

Post by KittieKAT »

Soo everyone hears about the elderly woman i live with whom had Alzheimer's and kills everything in her path. Yesterday i was admiring my turbinicarpus how beautiful and big it was getting, by far my favorite one that took me very long to aquire and find to purchase in the US, and i go to the window where it sits enjoying itself and notice instead of the beautiful flawless beauty of a turb i was just admiring yesterday is now this!!

What did she do, how could this happen over night just like that!
Im so sad right Now idk if ill ever be able to replace it. I finally get a turb and she kills it.

Aparently she was cleaning the window its in with idk what and didn't feel like moving the plant so sprayed stuff all over it and inside the medium and pot then cooked her dinner without putting the fan on so she made sure it was dead. And i didn't hear anything about this till i called her up crying..now she prob is gonna stay out till i go out so she can avoid me

I don't kno what to even do...let alone say right now :(
Attachments
20150623_155401-1.jpg
20150623_155401-1.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
20150623_155404-1.jpg
20150623_155404-1.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
20150623_155357-1.jpg
20150623_155357-1.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
george76904

Re: my cacti killer roomate strikes again... :,(

Post by george76904 »

Sorry, that's a real bummer!What kind of turb. was it?
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

It was a polaskii 'nova' i beleive (or la bonita)
She had already killed my polaskii and my polaskii 'la bonita' (or nova)... So no more turbs at all. You cant even find plants or seeds in the us of these plants. I only had it since feb. I don't kno if ill ever find another one, it really makes me mad cause i wanted the kids to see it when we have a group. Weather hasnt been on our side recently and now the turbs dead. :(
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I was lucky to have found the 3 i did from a nice guy who sold them to me for the kids to study and enjoy (me aswell!) - i put these cacti in the 'DONT GO NEAR EVER!' part of the house and she still decided to ignore my request and say "i feel like cleaning this one window just because!" only that one window ...she didnt clean the others and just squirted stuff on it (bleach i think) and left it their did t even wipe it!
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

KittieKAT wrote:I was lucky to have found the 3 i did from a nice guy who sold them to me for the kids to study and enjoy (me aswell!) - i put these cacti in the 'DONT GO NEAR EVER!' part of the house and she still decided to ignore my request and say "i feel like cleaning this one window just because!" only that one window ...she didnt clean the others and just squirted stuff on it (bleach i think) and left it their did t even wipe it!

Kat, it's just a cactus!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Move away from her, or do you like do you like the attention you get by complaining about her? I've heard so much of this, I've now blocked your posts.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

There is one other turb polaskii for sale on eBay right now, for under $10 if that helps.
Tenoch

Post by Tenoch »

http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/Cactu ... 460-2.html
Just ordered some Turbinicarpus seed from Koehres in Germany and was amazed with their great service. They shipped the same day they received payment! Uncommonly expedient compared to many other seed sellers.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Tenoch wrote:http://www.koehres-kaktus.de/shop/Cactu ... 460-2.html
Just ordered some Turbinicarpus seed from Koehres in Germany and was amazed with their great service. They shipped the same day they received payment! Uncommonly expedient compared to many other seed sellers.
Did you pay the extra for the photo sanitary cert, or did you just risk it?
Tenoch

Post by Tenoch »

Kat, you could try to graft some single arioles onto another cactus stock to save the plant. It's worth a shot.

George, I didn't know they even offered a phyto cert to answer your question. ;)
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Ron, if she didnt need my constant care then i wouldn't be here, this is a community of friends on this site whom want to help eachother im sorry you don't give a crap but you didn't have to read the post if you didnt want to. This was a post asking for help as to what i can do after this occurred, sorry if u don't like my rambles but doesn't mean we all cant be nice to eachother.

George: thank you for the link ive looked on ebay and they are bids in my area ive contacted sellers to see of they would be willing to sell a 'buy now' option for a set price when i am Able to come up with funds but i have a bunch of money woes at the moment so i dont know when ill even come across $10 to use on something i want instead of things we NEED. Its unfortunate but its an accident i don't want to be mad at her but things are tight right now so it really hurts when i buy something ive always wanted to have it destroyed by negligence. But her disease is getting worse and she's slowly losing her battle to Alzheimer's her mind escapes her and as much as i want to run to the hills with cacti in hand, im all she has and we wouldn't have a place to live to run the small program i run if she didnt pitch in to move. So its a double edge sword. She's trying to help but out of all my personal cacti collection plants i wish itcwas something more common to find in my area then a turbinicarpus :( - i would try grafting the areoles but im not good at doing things like that and i don't have grafting stocks..

Tenoch-I went on that site i didn't see they had turbinicarpus on their for sale to the USA. Many of those sites won't ship them to the U.S. i did order some from a different site been months with no seeds and no reply from the seller but i heard others have got their seeds from them no problem...i just have horrible luck i guess.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Hint** not link
Tenoch

Post by Tenoch »

KittieKAT wrote: Tenoch-I went on that site i didn't see they had turbinicarpus on their for sale to the USA. Many of those sites won't ship them to the U.S. i did order some from a different site been months with no seeds and no reply from the seller but i heard others have got their seeds from them no problem...i just have horrible luck i guess.
Kat, They have Turbinicarpus seed not plants and a lot of it, 64 unique accessions currently available which is more variety than I have found from any other source. I am also in the US and have ordered and received from them with no problems but I guess you find what you are looking for if you know what I mean ;)

As for rescuing your prize specimen, if you can work up the courage to try a tubercle graft please post pictures of the progress here. I would love to see this special plant resurrected (although its not completely dead yet).

Best of luck!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

If anyone has advice on how to do the procedure i will attempt it and try to photograph the attempt
Id need something to graft it to aswell
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Unfortunatly when cutting thru the plant to attempt grafting aereols i found out its insides have suffered secerly from the bleach liquid she sprayed on it and in the pot so i was unable to get a sample to expirment with attempting to save it and regrow it :(
Hopefully I'll find another one by chance some day