My Cacti 2015

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Mark

Re: My Cacti 2015

Post by Mark »

Maybe next year! You have lots of buds coming along. Please do post pictures. I need to upload mine. The Weather has been unusual. It was very chilly recently. How was the garden tour? Was there a lot of people? I was unable to attend.

I hope they have a good selection of cacti at Florafest. I know that place high desert? Not sure of the name has some cacti but not the biggest selection. At least last time I was there, there wasn't that many cacti.

I love E. fendleri, such great color and flowers!

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mark,
the garden tour was pretty successful, as far as I can tell. There were many visitors and I was kept busy showing them the plants.
I do not know, if financially the club did better this year than last, because I do not know yet how much profit the cacti that were on sale brought, neither do I know, how much money was collected for entrance fees.
You mention "High Desert" and the selection of cacti there. I received an e-mail yesterday, telling me, that that place had a number of cacti brought in from Arizona. It looks though, like most of them are columnar big type plants.
I too hope, that something special will be available at the FloraFest. I shall try to get there as early as possible on the first day of sale.
Also, Peter does have some plants left over from the garden tour sale and I am going to check, if there are any that are of interest to me.

Harald
hegar

Post by hegar »

Today I took a number of digital images of various cacti that were flowering.
First I want to show you the cactus bed, where most of the plants were blooming.
I was also able to get a few better shots of the "Glory or Pride of Texas" Thelocactus bicolor and Fendler's hedgehog (Echinocereus fendleri). Another Echinocereus that was still flowering is E. coahuilense. The Texas Rainbow cacti (Echinocereus dasyacanthus) are also showing their splendor, as was the Arizona Rainbow Echinocereus pectinatus. The Ancistrocactus uncinatus (Cat's Claw cactus) was also trying to flower, but the bud would not open enough. Perhaps tomorrow I will have a better picture. Also, the flower of the Turbinicarpus valdezianus did not measure up to my expectations, but it did bloom and will do so again later in the season.
Another group of cacti, that will be in spectacular bloom are the prickly pear members. The first flowers open were the Opuntia azurea, Opuntia macrocentra, and Opuntia violacea.

Harald
Attachments
Cactus planting1a.jpg
Cactus planting1a.jpg (323.52 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
Cactus planting1b.jpg
Cactus planting1b.jpg (325.89 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
T_bicolor2b.jpg
T_bicolor2b.jpg (269.15 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
T_bicolor2a.jpg
T_bicolor2a.jpg (306.63 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_fendl and E_pectinatus.jpg
E_fendl and E_pectinatus.jpg (311.52 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_fendleri2a.jpg
E_fendleri2a.jpg (244.75 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_coahuilense1b.jpg
E_coahuilense1b.jpg (250.55 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_dasyacanthus2a.jpg
E_dasyacanthus2a.jpg (250.9 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_dasyacanthus2b.jpg
E_dasyacanthus2b.jpg (284.01 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_dasyacanthus2c.jpg
E_dasyacanthus2c.jpg (297.1 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_dasyacanthus2d.jpg
E_dasyacanthus2d.jpg (313.65 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_pectinatus1a.jpg
E_pectinatus1a.jpg (306.36 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_pectinatus1b.jpg
E_pectinatus1b.jpg (232.98 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_pectinatus1c.jpg
E_pectinatus1c.jpg (304.84 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_pectinatus1d.jpg
E_pectinatus1d.jpg (300.73 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_pectinatus1e.jpg
E_pectinatus1e.jpg (256.76 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
E_pectinatus1f.jpg
E_pectinatus1f.jpg (236.21 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
Ancistrocactus uncinatus1a.jpg
Ancistrocactus uncinatus1a.jpg (292.15 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
T_valdezianus.jpg
T_valdezianus.jpg (261.39 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
O_azurea.jpg
O_azurea.jpg (229.73 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
O_macrocentra.jpg
O_macrocentra.jpg (269.39 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
O_violacea1.jpg
O_violacea1.jpg (235.76 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
O_violacea2.jpg
O_violacea2.jpg (305.34 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

The sun came out a bit and so I went ahead and took two additional images.

The first one is that of the prickly pear member Opuntia violacea. It is a terrific bloomer and will give me a sea of flowers within the next few days. Unfortunately, it also grows very rapidly and I am constantly having to cut it back. I should consider eating both the fruit it produces and the stem segments (pads). LOL
The second image shows Ancistrocactus uncinatus (cat claw cactus), which does have unusually colored blossoms. Because of the long spines perhaps, these do not open up fully. Another reason could be, that the cactus is not planted in full sun.

Harald
Attachments
O_violac3.jpg
O_violac3.jpg (258.67 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
A_uncinatus1b.jpg
A_uncinatus1b.jpg (262.88 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

What a gorgeous cactus garden! Great color and excellent use of space. Love it! =D>
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for your accolades, fanaticactus. Overall, I am happy with this year's flower production and a good number of nice plants will be featured still.
Because we did have a few weeks with very unpredictable and varied weather, I was not able to get some plants photographed well, because their flowers would either not open up when I was home or stubbornly decided to remain almost closed, never allowing me to see inside them.
One plant that did open its buds for me to see inside the blossom was the Ancistrocactus uncinatus. Another, that I was not able to photograph with a fully open flower turned out to be my only flowering-size Astrophytum capricorne.
The smaller Thelocactus bicolor outdid its larger brother and produced three nice blossoms. :D
Because of spring rains, one of my Eagle Claw (Echinocactus horizonthalonius) went into bloom. Usually, these plants will not flower until summer, when we have most of the rainfall in the Chihuahuan Desert.
Another group of cacti, that are "flowering their heads off" right now are the Opuntia spp. (prickly pear) cacti. While they do produce large and plentiful flowers, most of my plants grow way too fast and constantly need to be thinned out. It is getting hard to find anybody who will take them off my hands. However, some of the prickly pear members stay small, but are still pretty.
What looks to me like a hybrid claret cup also bloomed. It is kind of late doing so, because it was shaded by those prickly pears.
Another cactus that is a dependable bloomer and flowers more than once a year is Echinocereus reichenbachii.
Also, the "purple pentalophus" (Echinocereus pentalophus) did a great floral display. The first image was taken by my son, because by the time I returned from work the blossoms would have been in the process of closing.
Yet another "claret cup" went into bloom. This one is called Echinocereus triglochidiatus.
One of my plants, which had been named Echinocereus leucanthus (syn.: Wilcoxia alba) produced flower buds for the first time this year. However, the blossoms did not turn out to be white, but they were pink. So my plant is an E. poselgeri. I am not too upset about this mix-up by the nursery though.
The last flowering cactus I want to present today is one of my favorites. It produces a ton of flowers until frost and the blossoms are a very saturated knock-out red. The plant is named Gymnocalycium baldianum. It is easy to grow and doing well in my yard.
I will most likely post another image of this cactus, once I see more blossoms open.

Harald
Attachments
A_uncinatus2.jpg
A_uncinatus2.jpg (305.59 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
A_capricorne.jpg
A_capricorne.jpg (258.21 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
T_bicolor3b.jpg
T_bicolor3b.jpg (291.35 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_horizonth1a.jpg
E_horizonth1a.jpg (269.27 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_horizonth1e.jpg
E_horizonth1e.jpg (227 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
O_rufida2.jpg
O_rufida2.jpg (211.97 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Opuntia orbiculata1b.jpg
Opuntia orbiculata1b.jpg (195.95 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Opuntia red1a.jpg
Opuntia red1a.jpg (264.78 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Opuntia red2a.jpg
Opuntia red2a.jpg (220.31 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
small Opuntia2a.jpg
small Opuntia2a.jpg (241.14 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Small stemmed Opuntia.jpg
Small stemmed Opuntia.jpg (299.35 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_coccineus5a.jpg
E_coccineus5a.jpg (264.72 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_coccineus5b.jpg
E_coccineus5b.jpg (212.81 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_reichenbachii2a.jpg
E_reichenbachii2a.jpg (294.58 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_reichenbachii3a.jpg
E_reichenbachii3a.jpg (295.54 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_reichenbachii3b.jpg
E_reichenbachii3b.jpg (250.31 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_pentalophus1a.JPG
E_pentalophus1a.JPG (453.49 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_pentalophus1c.jpg
E_pentalophus1c.jpg (254.27 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_pentalophus1d.jpg
E_pentalophus1d.jpg (213.92 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_triglochidiatus1a.jpg
E_triglochidiatus1a.jpg (300.13 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_triglochidiatus1c.jpg
E_triglochidiatus1c.jpg (233.95 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_poselgeri1a.jpg
E_poselgeri1a.jpg (297.64 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
E_poselgeri1c.jpg
E_poselgeri1c.jpg (246.64 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
G_baldianum1a.jpg
G_baldianum1a.jpg (324.29 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
G_baldianum1b.jpg
G_baldianum1b.jpg (223.01 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Wow! Amazing plants, flowers, and photos! I'm just drooling over them.
That E. poselgeri is especially cool!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for your nice response, Minime8484.
You are right, that Echinocereus poselgeri is a nice plant and I am happy to have been able to purchase it. Because its stem is so thin, it almost looks like a conventional cut flower. :lol:

Harald
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Again, the three "B"s--Big, Bright and Beautiful--all of them!! I've had several G. baldianum, but they don't seem to last for more than two seasons. They're common enough to find so I'll get more. But their red is one of the most brilliant reds I know of.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thanks for your input, fanaticactus. I shall photograph that Gymnocalycium baldianum, once it has a lot of flowers that are wide open.
I have killed one plant of this species thus far, but the second one I planted in a slightly different location is truly thriving. It has grown to a nice size and you can see on the images, that it does have a good number of flower buds. Sometimes, the spot where the cactus is grown will determine, whether or not it does well or dies. I do have a very well draining kind of soil, which I amend with coarse sand from the arroyos (dry creeks), top with larger pebbles and surround with yet larger rocks.

Here are a few images of today's flowering cactus group.
First, a small (less than 1 foot tall) prickly pear, which produces many blossoms.
Next two images of Opuntia microdasys, which is also a small member of the prickly pear cacti.
Also, I do have two more images of a nice Echinocereus plant, which rewards the grower with repeat blooming and flowers at a very early age (see previous images of my plant grown from seed about two years ago).
And finally, a plant that is flowering for the first time. It produced only one blossom, but that is a nice-looking one.
Hopefully, it will have more flower buds next year. The name of the plant is Echinocereus engelmannii. It is a common species of Echinocereus.

Moat likely, tomorrow there will be additional pictures. Several of the cacti do have large flower buds, which should open any day now.

Harald
Attachments
small Opuntia2a.jpg
small Opuntia2a.jpg (252.23 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
O_microdasys1a.jpg
O_microdasys1a.jpg (202.65 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
O_microdasys1b.jpg
O_microdasys1b.jpg (184.53 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
E_reichenbachii3a.jpg
E_reichenbachii3a.jpg (301.16 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
E_reichenbachii3b.jpg
E_reichenbachii3b.jpg (278.58 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
E_engelmannii1a.jpg
E_engelmannii1a.jpg (313.44 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
E_engelmannii1b.jpg
E_engelmannii1b.jpg (305.03 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
E_engelmannii1c.jpg
E_engelmannii1c.jpg (252.13 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
E_engelmannii1d.jpg
E_engelmannii1d.jpg (264.02 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

All I can say is you've clearly illustrated the difference between the Texas and the Vermont climates!! :wink:
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, fanaticactus, things are not perfect here either, but I cannot complain.
We have had cloudy weather lately, which interferes with the blossoms opening fully. As a result, I am not getting the pictures taken that I had hoped for. The hot and dry weather - which is what it normally should be this time of the year - helps the flowers to open to their maximum size.

Harald
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I completely understand how lack of strong sun on an otherwise 'perfect' day can be less than ideal for viewing flowers at their best. It's happened to everyone, I guess. That one particular day when that one special flower should open turns out to be cloudy, and the chance to see the bloom in its full glory is gone. :( Well, here's to a bare minimum of those days and bright sunshine for all us cactus lovers! :D
hegar

Post by hegar »

I should call myself lucky for having as many sunny days as do occur here in the "Sun City" of El Paso TX.
I grew up in northern Germany and what looks here like a cool spring day is considered a summer day over there.
Well, today it was once again more sunny than cloudy and my son was able to take a few digital images of three flowering cacti. I spotted a fourth one, when I returned from work shortly before 7 p.m.
My camera does have both, a macro and supermacro feature, which allows me to get very close for stunning images of the blossoms. If I cannot get close to the subject, I can zoom optically to a maximum of 20x. Some of those pictures also turned out fine. My cacti are all a bit crowded, which at times force me to take the zoom instead of the macro setting.

The first image is of a plant, that is flowering for the first time. It was sold to me as Echinocereus coahuilense. To me it looks like E. pectinatus and I may well be that plant species.
The next two images are of a dependable bloomer. I did miss the first two blossoms and almost the last one too.
The color of the large flower is a very light pink. The plant's name is Echinocereus perbellus.

Harald
Attachments
Echinocereus coahuilense2b.jpg
Echinocereus coahuilense2b.jpg (468.53 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
E_perbellus1a.jpg
E_perbellus1a.jpg (270.38 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
E_perbellus1b.jpg
E_perbellus1b.jpg (237.73 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Here are a few more photos of cacti that are flowering.
The first image is that of a Thelocactus rinconensis. I did miss the flower being fully open, but it looks like that is all I am going to have this year. :(
The second and third images show a small cactus I only purchased on April 25th. With all those wooly spines at the top, I did not even realize, that the plant did have a flower bud. Well, it did bloom. What a surprise! :D. The name of that plant is Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele.
Next is an odd cactus, which I bought about a year ago. It is, as you can see, a thin-stemmed plant. Its name is Pterocactus tuberosus.
Another plant that flowered is a subspecies of the Fendler's hedgehog, Echinocereus fendleri ssp. kuenzleri. Just like the regular E. fendleri, it does have a lovely blossom.
The last is a plant shown earlier. However, now it does have many blossoms. Its name is Gymnocalycium baldianum.
This plant will keep producing flowers until the fall months.

Harald
Attachments
T_rinconensis1a.jpg
T_rinconensis1a.jpg (297.53 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele1a.jpg
Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele1a.jpg (368.11 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
T_pseudomacrochele.jpg
T_pseudomacrochele.jpg (258.08 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Pterocactus tuberosus1d.jpg
Pterocactus tuberosus1d.jpg (265.28 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
E_fendl_kuenzleri1c.jpg
E_fendl_kuenzleri1c.jpg (294.53 KiB) Viewed 2360 times