My growing collection-george76904

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
george76904

My growing collection-george76904

Post by george76904 »

I originally started this in the grown from seed, but I decided I may wish to continue the updates for several years, so this might be a better place for it.
This past year my interest for growing cactus from seed has peaked. So bitten with the bug I bought a whole bunch seeds and with spring on the way I decided to make headway in sowing my attempts currently I have sowed 9 species of seed of this past week. The echinopsis pachanoi are already starting to peek through the soil. So far this season (not including the other 9 species)

Carnegiea gigantea~they are doing great I have lots!
Lophocereus schottii~ I have a few growing but I didn't plant many (same with all of the other species listed)
Echinocactus ingens
A mix of pilocerus
Cereus peruvianus
echinopsis pachanoi
Today 3/7 I have prepped 9 species, to sow later today,I have also taken it upon myself to do a side by side germination test with a 36 hour personal in a 250ppm solution of GA3
(Names going right to left, one in front has GA3 container with label is just seeds to be sown without treatment to compare with the GA3's effects)
Cereus peruvianus hybrid
Stenocereus marginatus
Echinopsis?? Either hascha or hybrid
Oreocereus clesianus
Mammarillia nivosa
Mammarillia mazatlanesis
Pilosocereus fululvilantus
Lastly on the far right is the yucca brevifolia.

I will update and post more pictures as the saga continues
george76904

Re: My growing collection-george76904

Post by george76904 »

Here are the moved over pictures. I will post the others as I go back and save them
Attachments
the seeds in prep soak and then no pretreatment in back
the seeds in prep soak and then no pretreatment in back
image.jpg (77.75 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
The c. Gigantea.
The c. Gigantea.
image.jpg (116.28 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Here are the last two from the other section of the forum the echinopsis pachanoi and the GA3 pretreated seeds compared to no pretreatment or scarification. Both pots contained 50 seeds.
Now onto more topics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
image (1).jpg
image (1).jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

These are actually pictures I took yesterday while I was working on the project but never got a chance to post. I have wanted to do something with this big open space ever since we moved into this house. It is on the 2nd story facing southish but gets good unobstructed sun all day. I usually use it for a reading nook but with my newfound addiction already spilling out past the available space on the other shelves it was time to find more space.
Attachments
Now doesn't this space just scream cactus shelf (granted it was in afternoon light and cloudy, but it's still got some light)
Now doesn't this space just scream cactus shelf (granted it was in afternoon light and cloudy, but it's still got some light)
image.jpg (45.4 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

:lol: Now a quick trip to lowes and a few hours later and BOOM main part of the frame is done. I just need to install the shelves themselves. However when thinking of the best way to install the shelves I came across an error in my build. I put the top supports in before the bottom shelf and the shelves have to go in from the top ](*,) . Still not quite sure how both my father (who was helping) and myself completely missed that. Oh well screws are cheap. :D
Attachments
I tried to squeeze the entire frame in the photo but it is 8 feet wide like the hallway. The legs are cut at the perfect angles to fit flush with the walls against the windows. Thank you high school geometry for resulting angles. Hopefully the next non rainy day that I can get home early I can finish them.
I tried to squeeze the entire frame in the photo but it is 8 feet wide like the hallway. The legs are cut at the perfect angles to fit flush with the walls against the windows. Thank you high school geometry for resulting angles. Hopefully the next non rainy day that I can get home early I can finish them.
image.jpg (69.37 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Ok well a few of the GA3 soaked echinopsis have germinated as well as a few stenocereus, while their untreated counterparts remain dormant. In other news I finally got the shelves done and in the upstairs window, it was a little bit tricky but with the help of my father we got it into place and it is now quite solid (it will hold up a 180 lb male right in the middle without the slightest bowing). So I'm pretty confident that I can load it up with plants. Of course first I have to get the rest of my collection and any others up the stairs. :D .As soon as I get plants upstairs that are coming into bloom I will post photos. But until then there are only some adeniums in the pot on the left a(n) unknown acacia that came mixed in with some yucca seeds I bought, and lastly some lemon tree seedlings just because I got bored a free juicing a lemon and wanted to see if they would grow. Sure enough they will :lol: .
Thanks,
Will
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.06 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Looks great, note if only you lived in MA then you could help me build some counters in the new greenhouse for the kids after I unpack. ..ahrg!!!! Plus it snowed yesterday. .. isn't it suppose to be spring by now?!?!?! I'm planning out what to do with the kids I'm soo excited I have so many things I wanna do but little space to do it at the moment so if the weather holds up and gets brighter I may have to host at my mom's house lol but atleast that means I don't have to wait until the greenhouse is completely renovated and prepared before we have our first spring meeting of the year! - maybe u can help me with some design ideas for shelving hahaha! :D, everything is looking great can't wait to see your collection grow and see the next BIGGER shelf you build to hold the new buys you get, lol
Gotta try that GA3 soon, hopefully I don't screw it up !
george76904

Post by george76904 »

If I get a bigger shelf I may very well need an entire house for growing cactus. Or a big greenhouse in the lower yard could work... Not a bad idea! And most of the collection is currently being housed at my grandmothers, she also shares my love of cacti, but I am moving a portion of it onto the shelves mainly the non cacti but still cool plants like the coffee trees, and the pineapple plant. Hopefully I can get the germinating seeds and those type things moved this weekend.
Thanks,
Will
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Well KittieKat, I didn't build a bigger shelf; but I did build a small outdoor garden at my grandmothers house. We share the same passion for cactus. I am planning on creating a cover to go over it in the winter time. Most of the cactus are unrooted cuttings I received, but some of them are rooted and in ground. I am waiting to see but some of them started growing a little in the winter even though I was keeping them in the dark cool and dry. Hopefully I will see flowers next spring :D . There's also a big opuntia near my house that's blooming. I can't wait for the fall to collect the tunas from it, I enjoy prickly pear :D .
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.91 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
george76904

Post by george76904 »

I haven't updated this in a while but here's what's been happening since my last post.
Here's my mamm. Deherdtiana I saved the pollen in the freezer for future pollination attempts.
Here's my mamm. Deherdtiana I saved the pollen in the freezer for future pollination attempts.
image.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
The gymnocalycium tillianum in bloom
The gymnocalycium tillianum in bloom
image.jpg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
My parodia leninghausii in bloom, with 2 more hopefully to come
My parodia leninghausii in bloom, with 2 more hopefully to come
image.jpg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
My newly acquired hylocereus undatus, I paid $7 for a big pot of it that was in poor shape. But I've got it really trimmed up and good to go!
My newly acquired hylocereus undatus, I paid $7 for a big pot of it that was in poor shape. But I've got it really trimmed up and good to go!
image.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Mamm Blossfeldiana, I tickled the flowers with some deherdtiana pollen on a brush so we will see what happens!
Mamm Blossfeldiana, I tickled the flowers with some deherdtiana pollen on a brush so we will see what happens!
image.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
If anyone would like some hylocereus undatus cuttings please pm me, they are not in the best shape but I think they will do fine.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 1581 times