Windowsill and patio growing

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
jp29

Re: Windowsill and patio growing

Post by jp29 »

This is an aberration that does, however, make a spectacular windowsill/patio plant -- a cephaliated Melocactus matanzanus offset that I severed from an insect damaged mature plant and rooted as a cutting. Now I just need to make more of them!

Growing in 2¾" (7cm) square plastic pot
Last edited by jp29 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

That is so cool!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

This is an insect damaged mature plant with cephaliated offsets:

Another offset that I severed from an insect damaged mature plant and rooted as a cutting:

Growing in 2¾" (7cm) square plastic pot in a greenhouse

Un-potted rooted aberrant plant:

Last edited by jp29 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Minime8484 wrote:That is so cool!
Yes, Tristan, I think so too. I did that project several years ago -- I rooted about six of them (I forget how many exactly) but I got talked out of all but one. I noticed one candidate "donor" among my plants at Dan's the other day so I think I will repeat the project in order to have a couple more "aberrations". I will make a step-by-step photographic presentation of the process -- like I did the first time -- and post it here (if all goes well).
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

The soilless mix that I currently use for my windowsill/patio plants here at my townhome consists of 50% pumice, screened at ¼"+ (.65 cm) and 50% coir, also screened at ¼"+ (.65 cm).

I like the structure and function of this substrate but it does not provide any nutrients. I use an alternate way (versus Algoflash liquid fertilizer) to provide them via a basic Compost Tea which I prepare as follows:

1. I put a generous handful of finished compost into an old stocking and tie the top.
2. I then fill a plastic bucket with one gallon of pH adjusted Tucson City tap water.
3. The water is left to stand for an hour in order to dissipate the chlorine and aerate it.
4. The compost bearing stocking is then immersed in the bucket.
5. The stocking is periodically squeezed well and the water vigorously agitated.
6. The stocking is removed from the water after approximately two hours.
7. The resultant Compost Tea is then used to water the plants.

This is an experimental alternative.

References:

Compost source (Tank's Green Stuff, Tucson, Arizona)

Benefits and use of Compost Tea (University of Florida web page)

James
Last edited by jp29 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jp29 wrote:The soilless mix that I currently use for my windowsill/patio plants here at my townhome consists of 50% pumice, screened at ¼"+ (.65 cm) and 50% coir, also screened at ¼"+ (.65 cm) ...........
This pumice/coir mix produces optimally grown plants for me here at my townhome in accordance with my staging, watering regimen and physical circumstances (light weight trumps most other considerations). I use a pure mineral mix (pumice and coarse native gravel) for most of my plants on my benches in the greenhouses at Dan Bach's Nursery, and Pumice/compost for many of my large (mostly columnar) specimens staged on the greenhouse floor.

James
James
jorgeq

Post by jorgeq »

James, have you ever tried using a 4 or 6 month slow release plant food for non-picky cacti (e.g., opuntia)?
jp29

Post by jp29 »

jorgeq wrote:James, have you ever tried using a 4 or 6 month slow release plant food for non-picky cacti (e.g., opuntia)?
Yes I have -- and do -- Jorge. I have used Florikan 17-5-8 Nutricote Advantage Controlled Release Fertilizer with good results.

James
James
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Maybe a lttle early, but it takes me longer to do things these days.

The time has come once again to prepare for winter quarters as it were. This year I will have to reduce the number of plants I maintain here at our Town Home significantly, and change my cultivational methodology somewhat, in deference to my reduced physical capabilities.

To reiterate: My disabilities dictate that my potted plants be light weight and in small containers for safe and easy carry, particulaly during my winter maintenance regime which involves staging my plants indoors on south facing window sills at night, and during cold days, and carrying them outside to the patio for the benefits of sunshine and fresh air during the 60°F+ (approx. 16°C+) days that we frequently experience during our Tucson winters. Our Homeowner Association rules do not permit greenhouses.

Therefor my cactus collection here consists of miniature species (mostly Brazilian rooted cuttings & offsets) growing in 2¾" (7cm) and 3¼" (8cm) square plastic pots.

I have selected the plants that I grow according to the following criteria:

Thin stemmed, or small globular species that are of light weight.
Can be grown to maturity - producing flowers and fruit - in small containers.
Easily propagated via cuttings or freely produced offsets.
Maximum height of 9 inches (23 cm) including container height.
Not requiring a cold winter rest in order to produce flowers.

I have had to drastically reduce my "Town Home Collection" of plants in order to meet those criteria. I intend to maintain a few examples of my favorite Cacti in light weight wooden plant carry boxes (and also for windowsill staging) as depicted below:

In 2" (5cm) square plastic pots:
Back row: Arrojadoa multiflora
Third row: Arrojadoa multiflora
Second row: Arrojadoa dinae
Front row: Discocactus buenekeri

In 2¾" (7cm) square plastic pots:
Back row: Arrojadoa dinae
Middle row: Tacinga inamoena ssp. subcylindrica
Front row: Arrojadoa dinae

ADDITIONAL PICS OF SELECTED PLANTS:

Arrojadoa dinae growing in 2¾" (7cm) square plastic pots

Arrojadoa dinae in bud, flower and fruit

Arrojadoa multiflora in bud, flower and fruit

Arrojadoa multiflora in flower and fruit

Discocactus buenekeri growing in 2" (5cm) square plastic pots

Discocactus buenekeri in flower

Tacinga inamoena ssp. subcylindrica flower

Tacinga inamoena ssp. subcylindrica fruit

Pereskia portulacifolia growing in 2" (5cm) - by 3" (7.5cm) deep square plastic pots

Pereskia portulacifolia growing "bonsai style" in 2" (5cm) square plastic pot

James
James
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Hi, I'm enjoying your member topic very much. I was wondering what temperatures do you maintain for your windowsill cacti? I'm assuming you have the AC cranking during the summer months?
jp29

Post by jp29 »

tudedude wrote:Hi, I'm enjoying your member topic very much. I was wondering what temperatures do you maintain for your windowsill cacti? I'm assuming you have the AC cranking during the summer months?
Thank you "tudedude". You may have missed this:

During cold days, and at night during the winter months, I maintain my plants in small square plastic pots indoors on south facing window sills that receive full sunshine. On sunny winter days, when the temperature rises to around 60°F (approx. 16°C) -- which happens quite frequently in southern Arizona -- they go outside on the patio, coming inside as the temperature drops at nightfall. With the arrival of spring - when the daytime temperatures climb into the 80's F (mid 20's C) and the nighttime temperatures are in the 50's F (10's C) - they stay outside on shelving under 30% shade cloth until the arrival once again of winter temperatures.

I will re-write that to make it clearer. As you can see, I do not have any of my plants on windowsills during the spring and summer -- they are all outside under 30% shade cloth. During those cold winter days and nights they are subject to ourhome central heating temperatures -- about 68°F.

James
James
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Dear James,

do me one favor please! What means: AC cranking during the summer months???

I hope You and Beverly a fine!!!

All the best for You!!!

K.W.

Arizona in April 2015, I will never forget !!!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
jp29

Post by jp29 »

K.W. wrote:Dear James,

do me one favor please! What means: AC cranking during the summer months??? ..........
I interpret it to mean that the (House) Air Conditioner is going full blast just about all the time.
............ I hope You and Beverly a fine!!!

All the best for You!!!

K.W.

Arizona in April 2015, I will never forget !!!
Yes Beverly and I are fine K.W. - thank you fo asking. That was indeed a pleasurable and memorable visit -- I hope you can do it again in 2016! :)

James
James
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

jp29 wrote:>>>

I interpret it to mean that the (House) Air Conditioner is going full blast just about all the time.

<<<
Thanks James my friend,

I was just too stupid ac as air conditioning to interpret. . . ](*,) :wink:

>>>

Yes Beverly and I are fine K.W. - thank you fo asking. That was indeed a pleasurable and memorable visit -- I hope you can do it again in 2016! :)

James
I wish it very much! When Beate let me go, and my business is not going crazy. . . #-o

Then I'll be there. . . :D :)

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

jp29 wrote: Thank you "tudedude". You may have missed this:

During cold days, and at night during the winter months, I maintain my plants in small square plastic pots indoors on south facing window sills that receive full sunshine. On sunny winter days, when the temperature rises to around 60°F (approx. 16°C) -- which happens quite frequently in southern Arizona -- they go outside on the patio, coming inside as the temperature drops at nightfall. With the arrival of spring - when the daytime temperatures climb into the 80's F (mid 20's C) and the nighttime temperatures are in the 50's F (10's C) - they stay outside on shelving under 30% shade cloth until the arrival once again of winter temperatures.

I will re-write that to make it clearer. As you can see, I do not have any of my plants on windowsills during the spring and summer -- they are all outside under 30% shade cloth. During those cold winter days and nights they are subject to ourhome central heating temperatures -- about 68°F.

James

Ah I understand now thanks. I have also moved to a place with limited plant space, just a small balcony, but I have plenty of south facing windowsills. I was hoping I would be able to grow some exclusively on the windowsills.