Welcome To Salem, Ma !

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
KittieKAT

Welcome To Salem, Ma !

Post by KittieKAT »

This is my place currently outside and inside my room, i wish i had a better camera. This is suppose to be the storm of movie proportions! 3-4Ft of snow, its already starting to remind me of the blizzard of 78' from the pictures my mother showed me, and the storm we had a few years back where we had 5ft of snow and people couldn't leave their houses. I fear for my surviving collection and the children and the children's plants inside my place, cause the snow is coming thru the Windows!! And under the doors!
Attachments
CAM02321.jpg
CAM02321.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
CAM02322.jpg
CAM02322.jpg (35.1 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
CAM02323.jpg
CAM02323.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
CAM02325.jpg
CAM02325.jpg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
KittieKAT

Re: Welcome To Salem, Ma !

Post by KittieKAT »

So cold!
Attachments
CAM02326.jpg
CAM02326.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
CAM02327.jpg
CAM02327.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
CAM02329.jpg
CAM02329.jpg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
CAM02330.jpg
CAM02330.jpg (51.45 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Just lovely...
Attachments
CAM02331.jpg
CAM02331.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Woah that is quite brutal weather. Keep your self warm and dry you can always get new plants. Stay safe.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

That was earlier this afternoon now its so bad i can't take pictures cause its too dark for my phone camera and all u can see is white!
Im trying to stay warm but i live in a very old place and even thoe the heat is on its as cold as outside, i have one working plug in hobo heater and that's the only thing making it bearable even thoe there's snow coming in thru the closed Windows And closed doors.... if we do lose power I'll prob be sleeping with a few jackets and mittens and hats on even boots if it comes to that! The winds are at about 45-50mph last i heard on tv but i haven't checked in lately, the wires are blowing around out their so id be surprised if somewhere in town doesn't loose power at some point.
True i could always buy more plants, but I've already lost more then half of my collection and the children lost all of theirs - I'm pretty strapped for cash for anything i couldn't even buy food in case we get snowed in soo ill prob have to eat my own arm if it comes to that. I just hope the children who live in far worse conditions then i do (on a Sun porch basically) ..,are gonna get sick or hurt and i can't even get to them to send food and blankets and warm clothes if they are without power and snowed in cause I'm basically stuck inside my place, thoe im actually inside the house instead of on the sun porch where i usually live because the snow is literally inside the porch everywhere, but not much better when its still coming thru the Windows And doors of the house. We'll see how it goes!
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

How is the weather, I hope better!

This sliding window are a joke. :roll:

The windows open outward in Scandinavia. This is intelligent, when the wind blows the windows are always tight.

Good Luck!

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

This is the tunnel i have to walk thru to get out of my house, and the snow outside my other door
More snow tonight and the next few days...idk what to do ](*,) #-o
Yes kw the Windows are stupid in these old American houses..
Attachments
CAM02332.jpg
CAM02332.jpg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
CAM02334.jpg
CAM02334.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
CAM02335.jpg
CAM02335.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

When I was younger we lived for a while in Pittsburgh, I remember more than a couple of times having to help dig the 6+ foot of snow out from around and over the car. Funnily enough they kept the roads clear really well so IF you dug out your car you could still get about. But I can't remember anything any snowstorm half as nasty as this latest one. Especially with the snow coming in under the windows and doors! Hope you've thawed yourself out now.
7george

Post by 7george »

Hey, KittieKAT - how is your cold hardiness?
Try to collect some snow water, it's good for the cacti. I did about 2 gal., even we had just 5 cm of snowfall.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

We got another 2ft of snow last night, so everything we just shoveled for the past three days basically got covered it was up to my waist and I'm 5'9" and a half. And was wearing boots with a small heel... i literally had to crawl over mountains of snow to get to the store.
As for melting snow for water, it would be a great idea if it was warm enough in my house to melt the snow unfortunately its not so i would just end up with buckets of snow and snow coming thru my Windows at the Same time. Im already having a hard time keeping my surviving collection alive cause its borderline freezing and my roommate doesn't help the situation by leaving the doors open so the cold air kills off the plants that survived the greenhouse attack when the guy ripped off the sun blockers and they all got burned and froze. I've lost my wholecarnivorous plant collection, over 50 of the surviving/new plants i had and all my cuttings and seedlings due to her being completely careless. I prob will have no plants for myself or the program i run by the time we can get a moving truck to get here to bring our stuff to the new place because all the snow keeps delaying it, And she's careless and has never had a plant survive in her care for a week and she's knocking over and destroying the plants i have and if i don't get outta here i won't have any to bring to the new place, she's literally killing about 2-5 a day depending on if i see them dead or she tells me she knocked it over or stepped on it or she forgot to shut the door and i wake up to the door being open while she left for hours...sooo im done with the snow i just wanna leave before i have no plants for my New sun porch bed room, or the program with the children...grrr..
7george

Post by 7george »

Oh, I see. It is terrible not to control your own place, and that disaster. Get moved quick to a new warmer home.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

sounds like you're having some terrible luck there....
I hope there will actually be anything left surviving, above all I hope it will be much better in your new place!
hang on, spring will come!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I hope so, thoe the snow keeps delaying the move cause i live on a very busy intersection and their is no place for a moving truck to park since the Parking lot was taken over by Salem state university a few months ago and they aren't even using the land they took from us so now its impossible to get in and out of the Parking lot without an accident or getting stuck....grrr.. so they can't park the truck anywhere to start moving the heavy stuff and since i don't drive the plants have had to stay with me so I'm able to care for them and make sure they get light and water (succulents...cp's...etc..etc) or don't get burned or Frost bitten or whatever without me being their to watch over them, but it seems my roommate is Destin to drive me insane and can't help but to want to kill everything in her path of destruction....i just want to moveto my new sun porch bedroom area and leave the craziness behind! Why mother nature isn't aagreeing with me i can't understand, she should like me i have plants!!!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Another foot of snow today or tomorrow....grrrrrrr
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I just took my first look at your post because "Salem, MA" caught my eye. I'm originally from Marblehead!! Sold my family's house there back in 2010. It's a great area, but I do not envy the monster of a winter you had. I hope Spring and Summer will treat you well. Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!