A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

This just in!

Post by Steve Johnson »

Late-breaking news -- I held off on what I was originally going to post in favor of something a bit more exciting...

The shade cloth frame I built 5 years ago was in need of a serious upgrade. I put together the new frame design last weekend, and today was installation day. Figured on about 2 hours to complete the project. 2 hours? No, try 6 -- I'm a lousy estimator! :lol: Anywho, off came the portable GH, the shade cloth, and the old frame. This'll be your first time to see the collection with nothing between my cacti and the great outdoors.

The top shelf, with a vantage point I normally couldn't show you -- facing west:

Sun Valley earning its name:

A "naked" shot of Shady Glen sans shade cloth -- and once again, please note the time on my outdoor thermometer (check out the temps too):

Although the actual time will vary over the growing season, what you're seeing here is the point when the sun is at its highest angle, and Shady Glen is completely covered by a combination of light shade and sun "dappled" by shade cloth. The back (south-facing) row gets the most sun exposure, so if you know your cacti, you'll understand that I've chosen wisely in terms of where I place the plants in there. A daytime high of only 72, well that was kind of a bummer (my local forecast was predicting 76). Should I put the portable GH back on? The forecast this week shows daytime highs in the mid 70s, so I can add 4 degrees to that, and the cacti won't mind their one day of cool today. With that said, I'll have to take thermometer readings over the next couple of days before I make a determination. It's nice to have such flexibility with my setup, so now that I have the new shade cloth frame installed, I'll show you around a little more later on. In the meantime, we can catch up with some nice new cactus activity.

See you again, my friends! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

A virtual tour around the current setup

Post by Steve Johnson »

Oops, got behind on the new cactus activity I was hoping to post before now. As I work on a backlog of pics this weekend, I'll show you the new shade cloth frame after it was installed last Sunday.

Early this week with our usual June gloom in the morning:

Between ocean breezes coming in from the west (an almost daily occurance) and windy days blowing the shade cloth around, it was annoying to see my Mammillaria grahamii get hooked. (This also explains why the long papery spines on the south-facing side of the Leuchtenbergia aren't there anymore.) Had to do something about that, so in the above photo you'll notice a new improvement in the form of a horizontal cross-brace in the back.

Speaking of papery spines -- "paper-spine" Tephros are prone to dropping segments if they're touched at the wrong time. Shade cloth billowing in could certainly do that, so I added another cross-brace on the east-facing side of the frame:

While it's not a 100% guarantee against segment-dropping, at least this should keep the problem down to a minimum. (Besides, it's a good way to propagate more paper-spines!)

When I lived in West L.A. (1979-91), the hot summer sun could be brutal on the unshaded cacti I had back then. When I started a new collection in 2011, I didn't want to repeat the experience, and shade cloth was an absolute requirement. I've been keeping the plants under it ever since. With that said, they could use some full-on sun, but when? Evening!

Although it took 5 years to get there, I've thought of just about everything. I made my first (perhaps only?) intelligent move at the end of June 2011 when I designed the shade cloth pattern to provide for full sun in the later afternoon and evening hours -- well past the highest heat of the day. Of course the top shelf cacti are under shade cloth all the time, but since they get plenty of sun, that suits them just fine. For the bottom-shelf plants, the lighting arrangements they get are as close to ideal as one could hope for.

I have one more salient feature to show you:

That plywood board is a removable drip tray I use every time the top-shelf cacti get watered. It was an idea I came up with when I installed my new custom-built plant bench in July 2013 -- the infamous "summer that wasn't". When the following summer turned hot, hot, hot, it occured to me that patches of sun in Shady Glen could be a problem for certain cacti prone to scorching in a heat wave. Then the board became a dual-use item, and I put it on for full shade coverage in Shady Glen whenever temps above 90 are due to arrive. The position you see it in now is good for June and July. After that we have a different problem -- sun angle. As summer wears on and the sun creeps lower and lower, I'll move the board down as required (carefully calculated from observation, please note the clear plastic pushpins circled in red). Luckily I don't see a whole lot in the way of heat waves, but when that board is needed for extra protection in Shady Glen, it sure comes in handy!

To warm y'all up for my next post, here are a couple of pics I've been saving from Memorial Day weekend -- Gymno vatteri with its first flower of the year:

The plant does most of its blooming in summer, but not bad for May, huh?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Steve Johnson

The week in flowers

Post by Steve Johnson »

Not much in terms of quantity, but as far as quality goes, these are excellent!

Starting on June 6, 3 days of change in a Rebutia pygmaea flower -- from the side...

...and top:

I detected my Eriosyce odieri's first bud of the year on May 8. Could there be 2? Let's have a look going from the 8th to the 30th, then on June 4 and 6:

Like it is with so many cacti in this small collection, the odieri's bud didn't fully open the following day. Such being the case, we'll give it 2 -- on 6/7 and 8, once again from the side...

...and top:

My forecast showed that a cool-down was on the way for this weekend into early next week. So up went the portable GH Friday night, hopefully to capture some warmth with the front on. However, the clouds I saw in the Friday evening sky looked like there might be more than the usual June gloom coming in. Yuppers, that was no marine layer I woke up to yesterday morning -- heavy clouds with a 30% chance of rain overnight! Didn't see the sun at all yesterday, and while I might've been disappointed by a daytime high that briefly and barely touched 72, I actually wasn't. Why not? Well, there's something to be said for the soft, even light of a cloudy day. In fact it can make for some flattering cactus photos like this:

Even the gloomy day couldn't hold the odieri back from showing us a big, beautiful flower:

Pretty amazing how long this took -- Astrophytum 'capristigma' on 4/16, then as the bud looked like it was about ready to pop yesterday:

This Gymno baldianum didn't take quite as long to get there, 5/30 on the left:

Another Gymno -- what a big, pretty bud!

I've found that the stenopleurum's buds can be a bit deceptive about when they'll bloom. Appears like it could be today, but it may be tomorrow or Tuesday. Nice thing about Gymno flowers is that they'll last awhile. Things are supposed to really heat up starting on Friday (try about 90 next weekend!), so if my stenopleurum cooperates, I'll be able to show you a preview of the plant at its summertime best. In the meanwhile, the skies are supposed to clear up later today. Since we still have plenty of time, I'll toddle off to the plant bench and see if something blooms for us to end the weekend.
Steve Johnson

Sunday Cruddy Sunday

Post by Steve Johnson »

(Hope our British friends might enjoy the take-off! :) ) Well, I was hoping to see blue skies this afternoon, but unfortunately not much. Perhaps not so cruddy after all, as the Astro 'capristigma' made a valiant effort to bloom:

This lovely hybrid is a fairly prolific bloomer. Such being the case, we'll have plenty of chances to see wide open capricorne-like flowers in the near future.

To keep our Sunday going, I've been eager to share 3 progress reports with you. I hope you'll like 'em...

A small December package

And this would be the Puna clavarioides I received from C and D Plants on 12/18:

I was excited to see the Puna's first stubby little new root toward the end of April, so here it is for your review on 4/24:

Growers using soil in their cactus mixes are familiar with this problem -- you think the roots of a plant are grabbing into the pot, only to find out it's the mix that's doing the grabbing. I ran into the same basic problem when I had my cacti in "dirty" mineral mix. So to avoid the prospect of being fooled, I potted the Puna in clean pumice and granite gravel, nothing more. Then whenever I gave the plant a gentle (and I mean gentle) tug, there would be no doubt about whether or not new roots are present. Did that a few times after potting, and -- nada, no sign of root growth yet. But when I did the tug test a couple of weeks ago, I got just a little resistance that wasn't there before. Oh yeah, new roots! They haven't grown in enough to accepts soaks yet, so I still have the Puna on sips. Now we'll look at a "before-and-after" and see what we get, on 4/30 and 6/4:

Not much of a change, but the base is riding a little higher in the pot. While I'm not 100% sure, I believe this could be evidence of a new tuber driving fibrous root growth. I also believe the plant should be ready for soaks at the beginning of next month. I'm torn between repotting it in a somewhat deeper pot before August and letting my Puna grow in its current pot, then repotting it in early spring. If the base keeps rising higher, then it'll make my decision easier -- transplanting time in July! Whether it's sooner or later, I already have the perfect pot.

Craig Fry was very kind to include a bonus plant, so here's the other part of the package going from C and D's doorstep to mine -- Cumulopuntia rossiana fuauxiana, one of the smallest Opuntiad species you'll ever see:

I love miniatures, and Craig sure picked well, didn't he? Tiny as they were, those roots didn't take long to establish -- new segments growing on 4/30 and 5/28:

The new segments showing another week of progress:

Yep, these 2 gems are well on their way toward a successful summer -- thanks, Craig!

Melocactus matanzanus

Since the plant came with only 2 long, spindly roots, the tug test might not be a good idea. If we shouldn't tug, then a gentle twist can tell us if there are roots grabbing into the pot. However, I'm growing the matanzanus in an 4-to-1 mineral-soil mix -- not much soil, but could it be enough to fool me? Well, the roots would be effectively rotating on their axis, so I'd expect the plant to give a little in the twist test. Which I did last weekend, and what have we here? Ooooooh, no give at all. That could mean only one thing -- new roots! In fact it appears that they're growing more quickly than I could've imagined.

I've been giving the matanzanus sips once a week since May 7. I'll save the precise details on my strategy for a later date, but in the meantime, I'll briefly mention a change I made to my usual light watering approach. Adult Melos don't need fertilizer during wintertime, so all they should get is plain old water (rainwater if you have it). However, the matanzanus is in growth, and it'll need a bit of sustenance to go along with its sips. What I've done is add 1/2 teaspoon of Dyna Gro 7-7-7 to a gallon of distilled water, then draw off some of the watering solution and fill my handy-dandy spray bottle with it. The plant has been getting "enhanced" sips from the get-go, and we'll go to "before-and after" pics for some preliminary results.

What we'll be looking for are changes in plumpness, skin color and new cephalium growth. On 5/8 (a week after repotting day) and Memorial Day (5/30):

The matanzanus has definitely lost some water, but to be expected since there's wasn't enough of a root system there to take up water for replenishment. Other than that, it's difficult to reach any conclusions from the side view. We'll need a better match on the angle and lighting, so the "after" pic on 5/30 is a new benchmark we can use to track further progress over the summer. Maybe we'll have better luck in evaluating this view from the top -- again on 5/8, but I took the "after" yesterday:

I don't think the water loss is matter of concern yet. But I do see a change for the positive -- the lighting is a good match in the before and after, and the skin is noticeably darker now. You'd think that such a small amount of fert wouldn't do anything, but I have a feeling that it's doing more for the matanzanus than we might realize. The cephalium is growing too, another change for the positive.

I have no way to know about what's going on in the pot, and all I can do is make educated guesses. I'm gradually increasing the amount of water, and at the beginning of July, I'll put in just enough to see a few drops coming out the drain hole. At that point it's pretty much a soak. Then soaks every 10 days in July, and I'll "turn on the tap" once a week starting in August. If my strategy works, we'll see a plumper matanzanus before the summer is done. More progress reports to follow, and my friends, I really hope they'll be good!

Obregonia denegrii

My latest acquisition arrived on the plant bench 3 weeks ago. Probably not enough time to detect anything yet, but what the heck, let's check this out anyway. On 5/28 and yesterday:

Nope, nothing. We'll try the top view (same dates):

I believe we have a tiny amount of new activity on the growing point, although difficult going purely by eye. I have a background in metrology, so I'll let "Mr. OCD" take over and give you a couple of measurements:

I'm measuring the apparent image, not the actual plant. While the numbers themselves don't matter, this exercise proves the presence of new growth.

Okay, we're supposedly having something close to a heat wave on Father's Day weekend. Great weather for Gymnocalyciums in bloom -- it's entirely possible that mine will give you an eyeful then!
zagoric

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by zagoric »

Steve Johnson wrote:You hit the nail on the head. My pumice/DG gravel mix is essentially hydroponic, so yes -- I fertilize pretty much every time I water.
What type of fertilizer do you use? An all-in-one or different mixes depending on the plant?

Thanks.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

zagoric wrote:What type of fertilizer do you use? An all-in-one or different mixes depending on the plant?
Ah, excellent question. The only fertilizer I've used since 2012 is Dyna Gro All-Pro 7-7-7. IMO it's the hands-down best fert for cacti, and this nutrient profile tells us that we have "one-stop" shopping here:

Proper balance of the "big 3" nutrients is important because too much of one can inhibit uptake of another. One of the worst examples of NPK imbalance I've seen is Schultz Cactus Plus 2-7-7 liquid Plant Food -- the Nitrogen might as well not even be there. (Besides, it's way too low to begin with.) Only drawback with Dyna Gro All-Pro might be the fact that we can't get it in anything less than 1-gallon jugs. Kinda expensive if you're on a tight budget, so in case that's an issue for some of our viewers I'll recommend Dyna Gro 7-9-5, which we can find on eBay by the pint or quart. While the NPK balance may not be quite as good as the All-Pro 7-7-7, it includes the same basic profile of minor and micronutrients, and I would consider the 7-9-5 to be a perfectly acceptable fert for long-term use.

A note to my foreign friends -- Dyna Gro has dealers worldwide, so for more info please visit:

http://dyna-gro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Johnson

Summer is here!

Post by Steve Johnson »

And I mean really here -- daytime high on the plant bench was 88 yesterday, and the forecast today is 96. Then tomorrow? 100 -- yowie! Last weekend was too cool to water anything, but with the portable GH coming off Friday night, it was "soak city" so I could give my cacti a leg up on the heat they'll want as they begin their summertime growth. Now here's what yesterday's heat brought forth...

Actually, we'll start off with a rewind to Tuesday evening (6/14) and my Gymnocalycium vatteri showing a couple of decent flowers:

Those blooms packed it in before there was any serious warming, so that's the best we can get for the moment. However, since summer has barely started, the vatteri will have plenty of time to strut its stuff.

The rest of these pics are from yesterday -- first up, Escobaria minima at the tail end of bloom #3:

Turbinicarpus krainzianus with a bloom and a bud:

We just saw the small but pretty, so here's the big and beautiful. Eriosyce odieri -- although its 2nd flower looks a bit bedraggled, I was so glad to get the last day of this bloom on camera:

Gymno stenopleurum.

Let's see if the flower can open just a little bit more:

Yep, there we go! But the scene-stealer has to be this:

And now a few miscellaneous photos as we make this a wrap...

I missed the Mamm deherdtiana's latest flower earlier this week, but it still wants to pop off again:

My Astrophytum asterias went through some unusual winter heat stress. Portable GH 3.0 factors into the story, although I'll save the details for a future post. In the meantime I'll simply say that given the nature of the species, everything about this plant is slow -- growing, development time going from buds to blooms, response to its artificial winter heat spikes under the GH. And of course, a slow response to its steady growing-season supply of acidified water and Dyna Gro 7-7-7. The asterias will green up more over the summer, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to show you the pretty colors on its skin as of yesterday:

The end of this post should be quite a corker...

Ah, Rebutia heliosa -- what gorgeous, colorful flowers they are, and it was a treat to see the plant's very first flush under my care. Shortly after the blooms dried up, there was something else rather interesting to notice:

Oh yeah, brand-new pups! Only a few on one side, but the view on the other side is pretty amazing:

Among my offsetting cacti, this is the best display of new pups I've ever seen. The heliosa will definitely rate special "before and after" progress pics, so you'll see more of the plant later this summer!
zagoric

Post by zagoric »

Thanks for the response to my fertilizer question. I appreciate the recommendation.

I saw in the above post you mentioned acidified water and you aren't the first person I have heard recommend acidic water. What do you add to acidify? And do you only use acidified water?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

zagoric wrote:Thanks for the response to my fertilizer question. I appreciate the recommendation.
You're quite welcome!
zagoric wrote:I saw in the above post you mentioned acidified water and you aren't the first person I have heard recommend acidic water. What do you add to acidify? And do you only use acidified water?
If I could maintain an ample supply of stored rainwater, that's what I'd be using. Unfortunately not an option for me, so I acidify my tap water with 5% white vinegar. To do it properly, I routinely monitor the pH of my watering solution with a pH meter to keep it within the 5.0-5.5 range. Might seem a bit complicated, but it's actually easier than one might think. For those of you who'd like to know a little more about this, I'll post a brief tutorial on how to use my meter of choice -- and it's not expensive.
zagoric

Post by zagoric »

Steve Johnson wrote:For those of you who'd like to know a little more about this, I'll post a brief tutorial on how to use my meter of choice -- and it's not expensive.
Count me as interested.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Steve: I love following your thread and have learned much from it. I am currently keeping my collection in full sun in my backyard on small tables. I am concerned that my gymno's and ferocactus may be getting too much sun. I know the mammillarias and oreocereus , as well as my pilosoacereus love full sun by my gymno's and ferocactus have turned a light avacado green. I plan on building a shade screen like you did but for right now should I put them in a shadier space? I do have an area where I keep some of my more sensitive succulents that get the late evening sun (about 3-4 hours worth of full sun). Would it be a good idea to move them there?
The temps here have been in the mid 80'sF this week and looks like they are going to get into the 90'sF this weekend. I've only been watering my collection on the 15th and 30th of the month and have seen growth on pretty much all my plants. with the warmer weather coming would it be a good idea to maybe go on an every saturday watering schedule? Sorry for all the questions - guess I'm picking your knowledgeable brain <G>.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

thomas wrote:Steve: I love following your thread and have learned much from it. I am currently keeping my collection in full sun in my backyard on small tables. I am concerned that my gymno's and ferocactus may be getting too much sun. I know the mammillarias and oreocereus , as well as my pilosoacereus love full sun by my gymno's and ferocactus have turned a light avacado green. I plan on building a shade screen like you did but for right now should I put them in a shadier space? I do have an area where I keep some of my more sensitive succulents that get the late evening sun (about 3-4 hours worth of full sun). Would it be a good idea to move them there?
The temps here have been in the mid 80'sF this week and looks like they are going to get into the 90'sF this weekend. I've only been watering my collection on the 15th and 30th of the month and have seen growth on pretty much all my plants. with the warmer weather coming would it be a good idea to maybe go on an every saturday watering schedule? Sorry for all the questions - guess I'm picking your knowledgeable brain <G>.
Hi Thomas,

Welcome the the forum, and I'm glad you're enjoying this thread! I'll answer your questions in order, and hopefully they'll be helpful...

1. Whenever we see sudden changes in our cacti, it's important to investigate the situation as quickly as possible. Then if we can determine the cause, the next step will be remedial action if this is possible. In your case, the light avocado green you described could be the precursor to sunburn/sunscorch. My virtual door is always open, so if you'd like to post a few photos here, I'll have a better look at what you're dealing with. In the meantime, it wouldn't be a bad idea if you put your Gymnos and Fero in a spot where they can get some shade in the middle of the day, then slowly aclimate them to full sun.

2. Watering schedules are fine as far as they go, but they should be treated as guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules to be followed regardless. With that said, watering every 2 weeks is a good basic piece of advice for beginning growers who are still learning about the watering requirements and growing behavior of their plants. Good observational skills need to be developed, so what you should look for in summer is to see which cacti stay nice and plump with watering every 2 weeks, and which ones start to look a bit shriveled. Those are the plants that could use watering once a week in summertime. If you're not sure, I'll go by what Ian has said many times in the past -- when in doubt, don't! When I have some time, I'll break down my plant list by watering frequency for different species, plus the exceptions that really do require some observation when I ask myself "should I or shouldn't I?".
thomas

Post by thomas »

Steve - thanks for the quick reply. I have moved t he gymno and the fero to a spot that gets indirect light most of the day but gets the evening sun for about 3 hours (full setting sun). Will keep an eye on them and see how they do.
I know that more cacti and succulents are killed by over watering than by under and want to be careful in that respect. when the weather really warms up I will try the weekly watering. Do I water them just enough to get water from the drain hole or should I give them a good soak? So far I've been watering lightly but I know that when it gets into the mid 80's to 90's that dehydration could be a problem. Thanks again for the reply/info.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

thomas wrote:Steve - thanks for the quick reply. I have moved t he gymno and the fero to a spot that gets indirect light most of the day but gets the evening sun for about 3 hours (full setting sun). Will keep an eye on them and see how they do.
I know that more cacti and succulents are killed by over watering than by under and want to be careful in that respect. when the weather really warms up I will try the weekly watering. Do I water them just enough to get water from the drain hole or should I give them a good soak? So far I've been watering lightly but I know that when it gets into the mid 80's to 90's that dehydration could be a problem. Thanks again for the reply/info.
Glad to help whenever I can! There's only one way cacti and succulents should be watered in the growing season -- deep. If you see water going down the drain hole like a faucet, you'll have it right. With my pumice and granite gravel mix, the water goes all the way through in a matter of seconds. For the handful of cacti I'm growing in a mineral-soil mix, it takes a bit longer, but drains freely enough to do the job. I think beginners tend to be confused about what we mean by over-watering, so the problem is a matter of watering frequency, not how much water goes into the pot. Light watering does have its place, but only for those cacti that could use occasional sips in winter.
Steve Johnson

Hot flowers!

Post by Steve Johnson »

In my part of L.A., anything above the low 90s rates as a heatwave. And that's exactly what we got early this week. Here's a little day-by-day photo essay.

Sunday June 19 -- day 1 of the heatwave, high 97.

Gymno stenopleurum showing its proclivity toward late afternoon blooming -- the flower wide open at 6 p.m.:

Monday -- daytime high 104! The day was unusual not only because of the extreme heat, but also very unusual for a temperature curve we'd normally see in the inland valleys of the Los Angeles basin:

Melocactus matanzanus with its very first flowers under my care:

The matanzanus shares something in common with my Gymnos -- blooming late afternoon into evening, as evidenced by the above pics taken at 7:30 p.m.

Tuesday -- daytime high 90, so that was the tail end of our heatwave. This Mamm deherdtiana must've pulled an all-nighter after enjoying all that heat on Monday, and even before sunlight was appearing on the plant bench, its flower was already wide open (8:30 a.m.):

Wednesday -- daytime high 84. When Melos are mature enough to flower, the buds hide in the cephalium before they bloom. I've always been curious about how long it takes for those buds to develop before they flower. I'm on my 3rd matanzanus, and 5 years after #1 entered the collection, I finally got to see a very unusual flower right on the edge of the cephalium. Check out this rare shot:

So how long does Melo matanzanus actually take going from buds to blooms? Mystery solved -- about 7-8 days.

Luckily, the heatwaves in these parts don't last long, so we're back to normal temps in the mid to upper 80s. Such being the case, now would be a good time for an introduction to weather and climate behavior as it pertains to this small collection...

I live in what could fairly be called a semi-coastal microclimate. Doesn't mean much without a geographical frame of reference, so there's nothing like visual aids to show you my little corner of the world -- here in a screenshot from the National Weather Service website:

It's important to have fairly accurate forecasts as we keep an eye on our plants. Unfortunately our local news won't quite cut it, so if you want decent accuracy, you can't get any more local than forecasts provided by the NWS site. Just plug in your zip code, and the forecasts you'll have are being reported by your nearest weather station. The station at USC is only 3 miles east of my place -- although the observed temps will be somewhat different between here and there, I know how to compare those differences, and it's an essential tool I keep in my growing kit.

We'll tie this in with more detail on the microclimate thing. The marine layer in my area produces a coastal effect that moderates our heat in summer, not so roasty-toasty like it is for folks living in the San Gabriel/San Fernando valleys, Inland Empire, etc. With that said, August can still be pretty dang hot (it's the hottest month of the year here). Same with September, so as our summer is just beginning, we should expect 3 months of cactus excellence ahead. Howzabout your summer? :)