A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

A few random selections

Post by Steve Johnson »

Alrighty, then -- I still haven't gotten to assembling the next installment of our "endless summer", so this should tide you over.

A nice cactus flowering for the holidays -- Turbinicarpus jauernigii on 11/18...

...and 12/9/17:

This Melocactus matanzanus says "Happy New Year!" with a bumper fruit crop (1/11/18):

From last weekend (2/4), Mammillaria crucigera...

...and spinossissima:

My "red-headed Irishman" usually begins flowering in December or January, but with all the unusual heat we had throughout the 4th quarter of 2017, the Irishman was in the mood to get the party started well ahead of schedule in November.

While we wait -- a preview of coming attractions, as I tease you with this photo from 2013:

If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

2017 End-of-summer review (Part 5)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Yeah, I've been away too long, haven't I? Too much stuff and not enough time to do it all, but at least I'm in a position to play catch-up now as we continue this review with...

2013: A big year as the collection expands

Space on the old one-shelf bench was getting pretty tight, but I was able to squeeze in a couple of new cacti I had my eye on. The first one I simply had to get -- Pelecyphora strobiliformis. Pelecyphoras are very unusual, fascinating plants that are also difficult to find. Not being one to shy away from a challenge, I put a call out on the forum in early 2013. And an Arizona member by the handle of TimN answered when he told me about 2 strobiliformis he was putting up for auction on eBay. The choices were a single-head and a 4-head, so of course I went for the latter. I won the auction (score!) -- here it is right after the new acquisition landed on my doorstep (4/13/13), followed by what the plant looked like at the end of its 2nd summer in Casa de Jefferson Park (9/21/14):

A few things worthy of note. First, the strobiliformis obviously went through a hard life as the old stem went "blind" and produced the 4 heads we're seeing here. And we are talking about old since Pelecyphoras are very slow growers. Second, the bigger heads are in the intermediate stage going from juvenile to adult, so we'll call them subadult. When I received the plant, the smaller heads were still in the juvenile stage. Third, although I was pleased to see the strobiliformis growing in 2014, I wasn't thrilled about how much corking had advanced up the subadult heads. So what the heck happened? When I started using pumice-decomposed granite mix in 2012, the DG fines I inadvertently left in the mix were a problem that hadn't even occured to me when I potted the plant. When I discovered the problem in 2014, it was time to replace the "dirty" mineral mix with clean -- a gradual process as cacti came due for repotting. In February 2015 it was the Pelecyphora's turn, so let's compare the roots going from its date of arrival to repotting time on 2/14/15:

Well, there's your answer -- no wonder the strobiliformis wasn't happy! The move from terracotta and "dirty" mix to glazed ceramic and clean mix completed:

Let's find out if the strobiliformis actually started growing a new set of roots. Being a slow grower, it'll be slow to respond. If the response is good, we'll see it above-ground. Will 3 summers be long enough to clue us in? The view on 9/19/15, 9/24/16, and 9/30/17:

Believe it or not, the corking has actually reversed to a certain extent -- and the new growth isn't quite as slow as we'd expect, is it? In fact I'm rather pleased by the improvement, highlighted in this before-and-after comparison on 9/21/14 and 9/30/17:

I do believe that change to clean mineral mix really did the trick! Since we have another summer coming up before you know it, the strobiliformis should rate a set of new before-and-after pics in September.

My other spring 2013 purchase was an Uebelmannia pectinifera multicostata, which I found through Kyle Williams of Kyle's Plants (back then we knew him as Saxicola, but he's been off the forum's radar screen for a long time). Here it is fresh from the wilds of Thousand Oaks on 5/3/13:

This is an update to the story I posted here. Since the pectinifera finally started growing last year, I thought it might be nice to show you what sort of progress we have -- 9/17/16 (not growing yet), and at the end of its first summer with a crop of new spines (10/8/17):

Okay, I'll admit there's not much to see from the side, but this bird's-eye view is pretty nice:

2017 was only the first year of growth for my pectinifera, so it'll be interesting to see how much new growth we'll get by the end of this summer.

After all the success I had in 2012, I was eager to expand the collection, but a single-shelf bench simply wouldn't do anymore. Being an apartment-dweller, there was no way to expand horizontally. So why not go vertical? I designed a new 2-shelf plant bench, although my handyman skills are limited at best. Luckily, I found a genuine handyman who did excellent work building it for me, and with a few things I could do myself to finish the job, the new bench was ready for deployment on 6/30/13:

Then up the stairs it went as I installed the bench on my apartment balcony. Now I'll describe the "real estate". The top shelf is reserved for the cacti that do best with as much sun time as they can get. Under the top shelf we have Shady Glen for plants that either need shade or at least tolerate it in the middle of the day (they get a good dose of sun in the morning and late afternoon). And on the westside we have Sun Valley for cacti that get shade in the morning, then sun from midday on. Also under the top shelf -- the plywood board is a removable drip tray to keep the denizens of Shady Glen from getting splashed whenever I water the top-shelf plants. During periods of blazing summer heat, the board goes up to protect the Shady Glen cacti that would be vulnerable to sunscorch without it.

Once the existing plants occupied their new spots, it was wonderful to contemplate the empty space that needed filling. Went on a bit of a spree that summer, leading off with...

Sunset Nursery has been a fixture of L.A.'s Silverlake district for many years. Not the first place I'd go to for cacti, but I couldn't resist this lovely Gymnocalycium baldianum I found there on a lovely July 4th weekend. After 4 summers under my care, 9/22/13 followed by 10/8/17:

One of the baldianum's many beautiful blooms on 9/16/17:

Although I love my other Gymnos, their flowers don't offer much in the way of color. G. baldianum more than makes up for it -- no Gymnocalycium fancier should be without one in his or her collection.

We're just scratching the surface here, so in the next installment, we'll have a look at the other items that came my way in the summer of 2013.
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Astro

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by Astro »

Good to see you're back, Steve. I enjoy your detailed observations.

As for more interesting Gymno flower colors, have you considered G. andreae? Should be relatively easy to come by, but admittedly not the most distinguished plant body or spination (looks very cookie-cutter Gymnocalycium).

I think a while back you mentioned you had a brush with root mealies. Care to tell us a bit more about how you handled that? I'm battling some root mealies of my own that flew under the radar for a while (no pesticides) and started to spread due to my own lacking of precaution (fixed now, I hope).
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Astro wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 am Good to see you're back, Steve. I enjoy your detailed observations.
Thanks, Astro! I do have some wasted space I could put to good use, so I'm hatching a plot. Part of it involves adding another Gymnocalycium, either quehlianum or ragonesei. Although flower colors have never been my primary reason for selecting cacti, it's a bit more important than it used to be. Such being the case, I'm leaning toward quehlianum because those flowers are gorgeous. Don't have the time to do anything about all this for the moment, but I hope to bring the plot to fruition in early summer.

Yep, last year was a bad one for pests -- mealies above- and below-ground, scale that wanted to keep going after a few plants, and flat mites that are known/suspected to be a problem with 22 species I grow. Root mealies are the worst, and what I encountered was a real learning experience. I'd like to post a detailed presentation on my dealings with all 4 of these pests, but concentrating mostly on root mealies. I'll include before-and-after photos so our members will have a few visual aids to go along with it. I'll post this on the "Sick Cacti" forum, hopefully it'll be good enough to rate a sticky. Unfortunately the presentation I have in mind has to be low-priority since I'm so far behind on other things I'd like to do here, but I'll shoot for sometime during the summer.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Astro wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 am Good to see you're back, Steve. I enjoy your detailed observations.

As for more interesting Gymno flower colors, have you considered G. andreae? Should be relatively easy to come by, but admittedly not the most distinguished plant body or spination (looks very cookie-cutter Gymnocalycium).

I think a while back you mentioned you had a brush with root mealies. Care to tell us a bit more about how you handled that? I'm battling some root mealies of my own that flew under the radar for a while (no pesticides) and started to spread due to my own lacking of precaution (fixed now, I hope).
Hopefully Steve doesn't mind me posting a response to a question aimed at him :oops: His response with photos will no doubt be more useful anyway :lol:

I had root mealy bugs last year as well, so far I've not had any signs of them returning :-k I de-potted all of the cacti that showed signs of major infestation i.e. mealies coming out of the bottom of the pot or visible with a little rooting around in the top-coat. The roots were cleaned of soil and dead roots, then treated with pure isoproyl alcohol (aka isopropanol or Propan-2-ol), making doubly sure the little nests were treated/soaked - note that blue wax-coated cacti like Notocactus magnificus may have their wax damaged/removed by isopropyl alcohol. All cacti then had a soak with water-in acetamiprid (a systemic neonicotinoid pesticide). I also use spray acetamiprid on incoming cacti, although the mealies seem to come from my own garden as I have two Pyracantha bushes with infestations (I refuse to use pesticides outside) so I'm not sure if I brought them into the house or they spread from outside.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Grimm wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:23 am All cacti then had a soak with water-in acetamiprid (a systemic neonicotinoid pesticide). I also use spray acetamiprid on incoming cacti,
Again sorry to hijack steve's post, but i'm currently suffering from a budding root mealies infestation that suddenly appeared after winter rest. An agricultural expert recommended using Mospilan (acetamiprid as active agent) but he never mentionned that it was a systemic. How effective would you think it is Grimm as a systemic?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am
Grimm wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:23 am All cacti then had a soak with water-in acetamiprid (a systemic neonicotinoid pesticide). I also use spray acetamiprid on incoming cacti,
Again sorry to hijack steve's post, but i'm currently suffering from a budding root mealies infestation that suddenly appeared after winter rest. An agricultural expert recommended using Mospilan (acetamiprid as active agent) but he never mentionned that it was a systemic. How effective would you think it is Grimm as a systemic?
As a spray it seems to be hit-and-miss, the infestation on the roots of my N.magnificus seemed unaffected by spraying the stem of the cactus, but it could be that the cactus was re-infected rather than the mealies being unaffected. It could also be that the wax on the skin of magnificus/magnifica means that the spray doesn't touch the skin properly so it can't be taken in by the cactus. It would be similar for wooly cacti, and the spray also discolours the wool :(

As a water-in I'm not sure yet, but it seems to be more effective.

As a side note, as I know you have at least some cacti outside, I personally wouldn't use it on any plants that will be flowering outside as there is a chance that a systemic will be passed into the nectar and affect local bees (I'm fairly certain that acetamiprid is currently banned as a commercial pesticide in the EU).

Another side note, apparently some old-school growers would soak cigarette buts in water to get a nicotine solution that they would use as a water-in pesticide.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Grimm wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 am
ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am
As a spray it seems to be hit-and-miss, the infestation on the roots of my N.magnificus seemed unaffected by spraying the stem of the cactus, but it could be that the cactus was re-infected rather than the mealies being unaffected. It could also be that the wax on the skin of magnificus/magnifica means that the spray doesn't touch the skin properly so it can't be taken in by the cactus. It would be similar for wooly cacti, and the spray also discolours the wool :(

As a water-in I'm not sure yet, but it seems to be more effective.

As a side note, as I know you have at least some cacti outside, I personally wouldn't use it on any plants that will be flowering outside as there is a chance that a systemic will be passed into the nectar and affect local bees (I'm fairly certain that acetamiprid is currently banned as a commercial pesticide in the EU).

Another side note, apparently some old-school growers would soak cigarette buts in water to get a nicotine solution that they would use as a water-in pesticide.
Thanks grimm! By water-in you mean soaking right?
As for my cacti they are all outside all year but not a single bee will take any interest in them. They would visit flowers a couple of feet away from them but never the cacti. These avocado flowers were 2 feet away from a flat of flowering mammillarias ](*,)
20180411_153629-1024x1023.jpg
20180411_153629-1024x1023.jpg (170.19 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

No worries about "hijacking" -- our shared experience enriches the hobby, so let's make the most of it! :)

A massive Bougainvillea bush encroaching on my apartment stairs was the likely suspect introducing root mealies into the collection. And the vector? Ants. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo before my friend/landlord's gardener chopped the bush down to its base. The bloody thing is growing again, so I'll include a current photo in my presentation as at least we'll know what I'll be up against when it continues to get bigger. More details to follow once I post it in the "Sick Cacti" forum.

Cheers, everyone!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm No worries about "hijacking" -- our shared experience enriches the hobby, so let's make the most of it! :)

A massive Bougainvillea bush encroaching on my apartment stairs was the likely suspect introducing root mealies into the collection. And the vector? Ants. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo before my friend/landlord's gardener chopped the bush down to its base. The bloody thing is growing again, so I'll include a current photo in my presentation as at least we'll know what I'll be up against when it continues to get bigger. More details to follow once I post it in the "Sick Cacti" forum.

Cheers, everyone!
Bougainvilleas roots are extremely sensitive so if it's in the ground, just digging around it and shoveling will shock it strongly and kill it.
I personnally really like them and started collecting them before collecting cacti.
At least you know the culprit, in my case i haven't got a single idea where root mealies came from as i always quarantine, clean and repot every cactus i buy
Steve Johnson

A brief diversion

Post by Steve Johnson »

Before we get back to last summer's doings -- from today, my Mammillaria deherdtiana's first flower of 2018:

There'll be plenty more where that came from.
keith

Post by keith »

I looked up Imidacloprid vs Acetamiprid Insecticides (Neonicotinoids) I've used Imidacloprid for root mealie bugs works well . Yea and ants spread them. A small copy and paste of what I read- looks like grape growers. :D

"It appears that Acetamiprid might be a viable alternative, with less lethality to bee colonies and a shorter half life in the soil, to the widely used and effective Imidacloprid. Some potential options currently labeled for use with grapes:"
Steve Johnson

Another brief diversion

Post by Steve Johnson »

I normally don't like to disturb cacti in mid-flower -- but when you gotta, you gotta. My Mammillaria deherdtiana was in serious need of a bigger pot, so I went out to Desert Creations in Northridge yesterday afternoon, and I found a nice one that'll work pretty much perfectly. First, let's see what came out of the plant's current pot:

No DG "play sand" to clog up the works anymore, so the pumice-granite gravel mix falls apart easily. (And I can reuse it right away!)

A closeup of the roots:

My, they look good, don't they? And now for the repot today:

I "engineered" it so that the outer pups can grow beyond the edges of the pot. In the meantime, all those buds we're seeing here should lead to quite a display over the rest of spring and summer.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

keith wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:26 am I looked up Imidacloprid vs Acetamiprid Insecticides (Neonicotinoids) I've used Imidacloprid for root mealie bugs works well . Yea and ants spread them. A small copy and paste of what I read- looks like grape growers. :D

"It appears that Acetamiprid might be a viable alternative, with less lethality to bee colonies and a shorter half life in the soil, to the widely used and effective Imidacloprid. Some potential options currently labeled for use with grapes:"
Thanks for the input! I ordered some acetamiprid but i'm trying to get my hand on a real systemic
https://www.syngenta.co.ke/product/crop ... tara-25-wg
If that doesn't work, acetamiprid it is
keith

Post by keith »

Outstanding Mammillaria deherdtiana =D>