A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by Steve Johnson »

toadstar wrote:Very nice!
Thank you, my friend!
toadstar wrote:What are the "creeping cruds" exactly?
Until recently, I believed they were benign springtime fungal blooms that clear up in summer. But from what I've seen on my Rebutia pygmaea and Sulco callichroma longispina over this summer, I'm more inclined to think that it may be a type of corking behavior peculiar to Rebutias and Sulcos. If that's the case, I have about 5 years' worth of "creeping cruds" corking on my S. rauschii.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Ok, I see it now. How peculiar.
Steve Johnson

Things 'n stuff 'n such -- July special

Post by Steve Johnson »

We're slowly making our way to my big End-of-summer review, but before we get there, here are a few special items of interest...

Is this cactus growing?

It's a question I've been asking myself ever since I acquired an Uebelmannia pectinifera multicostata from one of our old forum members over 4 years ago. Here's what the lovely plant looked like all potted up on 5/3/13:

Vibrant new spines on the growth point back then, although there were no telltale signs of new growth the following year. Was there a problem? Yep, and I discovered it when I began a big project to move the collection from "dirty" mineral mix to clean mix in 2015. Here's a comparison of the roots on 5/3/13 and 2/21/15:

The "dirty" mix had set up like a brick -- surviving, yes, but no wonder the Uebelmannia wasn't growing. The remedy here was a good dose of clean pumice and granite gravel with a 20% dash of soil mixed in to support the finer side of new fibrous roots that should be growing. No change after its first growing season in the new mix, but I wasn't expecting anything since the new roots needed time to establish. Let's give it another year and see what we have -- on 3/26 and 9/17/16:

The plant was taking up water, so that's progress. But still no sign of new spines yet. This year was different, and something I've been waiting a long time to see (6/17/17):

We'll get a close-up on the growth point -- 6/17, 7/1, and 7/16:

Yes, indeed -- this cactus is finally growing!

Replacing an F. castanea

After I got out of the hobby in 1991, I had a lot of catching up to do when I built a new collection 20 years later. Cactuspedia turned out to be a great place for discovery, and any genus that was new to me became part of the hunt for cacti I hadn't tried growing before. Frailea caught my eye, and specifically castanea because it was (and still is) such a fascinating species. The only source I had in 2011 was the California Cactus Center, but they didn't stock Fraileas in their inventory. The forum broadened my horizons quite a bit after I joined in Novemver 2011, which led me to CoronaCactus Nursery as my preferred source in 2012. Darryl Craig provided me with a 2-year-old F. castanea seedling in December 2012, and it did rather well over the next 4 years. And here it was going from its first summer under my care (8/25/13) to the last one on 9/17/16:

When I cleared away the seed pod you see on the right, something about the castanea looked a bit odd -- for one thing, the center was more deeply depressed than it had been in previous summers. For another, it was slowly going from round to oblong (I hadn't seen this behavior in the plant before). However, I didn't think much about it, and since the castanea needed a somewhat bigger pot anyway, it was repotting time on 2/25/17:

Those roots looked good, the new pot was the right size, and as for that winter shriveling? My castanea usually plumps up right after its first watering of the year, but this time the response I expected just wasn't there -- repotting day on the left, then after not 1, but 2 deep drinks:

Yep, the castanea was dead, dead, dead. This quote from Cactuspedia sums up the situation: "Fraileas are relatively short-lived plants, only lasting few years (rarely more than 10-15 years in cultivation)...what looks like a healthy plant may suddenly die of old age without warning." I already knew about this, so it wasn't surprising, just disappointing that the plant couldn't live longer than 6 years. Now to find a replacement. I saw castaneas for sale on eBay, although I wasn't thrilled with the selection. I've been doing business with Miles' To Go since 2013, and since Miles Anderson has been known to stock them from time to time, he was the first one I thought of. Unfortunately he didn't have them available on his website, so I emailed him to find out if he might have one I could buy. And I was in luck as Miles sent me a gem that was even nicer than the castanea I got from CoronaCactus. The new replacement here on 7/8:

While it may seem like the new castanea is overpotted, I've been working with pure mineral mix long enough to know that those roots will fill in quite well. Truth be told, the CoronaCactus plant grew up to be kind of a "runt", so I think we'll be seeing a much bigger castanea over the next couple of years. In the meantime...

Here's the new kid in town hiding behind my Ariocarpus fissuratus (7/16):

Same view, different angle on 7/22:

I was used to seeing my old castanea going straight from buds to seed pods, so I was excited by the possibility of seeing this one go from bud to bloom. Here's what I got a day later:

The bud was set in the high heat of the Arizona desert, so this may be the first and only castanea flower I'll get to witness. Don't think my summers are hot enough for repeat performances, but going from buds to pods would suit me just fine. Actually, another part of the Cactuspedia quote gave me a good idea: "In fact they [Fraileas] reseed readily around the base of the mother plant from self-set seed if kept reasonably moist during warm weather." That pot is just asking for seedlings to join the party -- while I don't want to get ahead of myself, I'll simply say that a seed pod dehisced all over the plant in September, so I'll keep an eye out for sprouting next year.

Obregonia denegrii -- first flower!

They seem awfully hard to come by here in the US, but I found one on eBay in May of last year. Didn't know the seller, but I think he's a private collector, not a nurseryman. That would explain why he didn't disclose the presence of scale before I made the transaction. Even if he did, I would've taken the plant anyway -- after all, beggars can't be choosers. After I got the denegrii on 5/22/16, I gave it a good drench 2 weeks later, then an Imidacloprid soil soak 2 weeks after that. Between that and the plant's thick, waxy skin, the scale insects didn't stand a chance. The silly things tried to have another go this spring, same remedy, same results. Trying to clear off a bunch of dead scale was the only problem I had. A high-pressure water nozzle would certainly do it, but that wasn't going to happen. What you're about to see is a bit unsightly, but at least I was able to do some "corpse removal" first -- the view on 7/26/17:

Here's a close-up -- could that little black thing in the wool be a bud?

On 7/26 and 7/28 -- yesirree, that's a bud!

The next day, 2 look-alike flowers on completely different species (that's one of my Turb polaskiis in the background):

The denegrii's first flower up close and personal:

Small but pretty, and I love those colors. The denegrii bloomed one more time in August, although I wasn't able to get it on camera. Since this is only its first year in flower, I'll be interested to find out if the blooms might be a bit more prolific next summer.

The ups and downs -- and ups of an Astrophytum asterias

Of the Astrophytums I grew in my younger days, asterias was the one species I could never figure out. So much I didn't know way back then, but Darryl's general recommendation for using mineral mix led to a game-changing year for the collection in 2012. Credit where credit is due -- it was only fitting to know that my first success growing an asterias came from the one I bought from him that July. I was thrilled to see my very first asterias flower a year later, with more flowers in the summers of 2014 and '15. The plant itself kept a healthy dark green color until I noticed that its skin started turning kinda pale early last spring. The effects of winter heat stress, perhaps? (Believe it or not, there were some toasty days in February and March. The previous winter was even toastier.) Not the skin color changes I was expecting -- on 3/26, 6/24, and 9/18/16:

The asterias was definitely taking up water, and being slow growers by nature, the amount of growth we see here is pretty much normal. The only thing concerning me was the fact that every one of its buds aborted. No need to worry this year, as a bud the asterias set in early May looked like it'd be going somewhere -- progress on 6/18 and 7/15:

From bud to bloom on 7/16 and 7/18:

A bird's-eye view of the flower:

I don't know what accounts for the changes in skin color, but I find it very attractive, and more interesting than the vast majority of dark green asterias we'll see everywhere. The brown patches around the base would be typical Astrophytum corking behavior, although I've gone through a lot of photos online and I can't find any examples of asterias corking. Oh, well -- it is what it is, so this doesn't bother me. By the way, if you look closely at the asterias as it sits behind my Obregonia, that bud made it to blooming in October.

Before I prepare for my post covering August, we'll rewind to 6/18 and 3 of my 2011 "veterans" on the back shelf of Sun Valley -- large and lovely:

This shot focuses on the Astrophytum capricorne with 3 buds well on the way (6/18 and a month later):

I missed the opportunity to photograph the biggest bud going into bloom, but we may get another "bite at the apple" with the others.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

What a neat collection steve! I really like the pots you use. How about those Obregonia denegrii...are they relatively easy to grow other than being slow?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

elieestephane wrote:What a neat collection steve! I really like the pots you use.
Thanks! :)
elieestephane wrote:How about those Obregonia denegrii...are they relatively easy to grow other than being slow?
After most of the collection went soil-less in 2012, I found that even the more "difficult" species aren't difficult at all. If they're grown well, the only problem with Obregonia is the fact that they may tend to shed their lower tubercles ("leaves") during winter. Some growers get around that problem by giving them light watering once a month in wintertime. My overnight lows in winter are generally about 5-10C, so I can do it with my North American cacti (Obregonia included) at least in December and January. Februarys are the coldest month of the year here in SoCal, so if I have one dealing a cold snap, I'll withhold watering until the weather warms up in March.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Thanks steve! I haven't had the heart to go fully mineral yet. I'm at 70-80% and by the end of the season mist of the compost would have deteriorated. Maybe next year i'll try it.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Steve Johnson

Flowers of August (Part 1)

Post by Steve Johnson »

As our "virtual summer" continues, here's what August left behind...

Compared to my other 2 Epithelanthas, E. bokei isn't much of a bloomer, although it's good about producing a few in August. Here's a bud on 8/16, and another that flowered for us on camera 10 days later:

My Turbinicarpus polaskii from CoronaCactus with a twofer on 8/27:

The Turb/Gymnocactus corner in Sun Valley enjoying some midday shade (8/5):

That's my 2011 "veteran" Turb krainzianus in the back. I hadn't seen it with more than 3 flowers at once before, but this time I was in for a rare treat:

A bird's-eye view of the Turb klinkerianus:

And again with a lovely threefer on 8/26:

Strombocactus disciformis going from buds to blooms on 7/16 and 8/10:

Keeping company with some of its neighbors:

This summer was a great time to have winged little insect friends come by for a photo shoot. Here's a closeup of one on the Strombo:

And the same little friend visiting my Parodia subterranea:

We'll zoom back and look at the subterranea's last bloom of the year as it slowly opened up on 8/8 and 8/10:

Steve Johnson

Flowers of August (Part 2)

Post by Steve Johnson »

As we wrap up my August report, I'll begin today's post with a few odds and ends...

Rebutia pygmaea growing 2 new pups (8/6):

Frailea castanea with a new bud (8/6):

A clue here -- whenever the bud starts out as a tiny red ball of fluff, I know from experience with the old castanea that my new one will bypass the flowering stage and go straight to producing a seed pod.

Obregonia denegrii with its 2nd bud of the summer, my Turb polaskii from the California Cactus Center flowering in the shadows (8/10):

The Obregonia as it gets closer to blooming (8/13 on the right):

Copiapoa tenuissima continues its flowering run on 8/3...

...and 8/26 -- this shot includes a nice view of its lovely dark brown next-door neighbor soaking up the August sun:

Not quite a twofer, but close enough (8/26 and 27):

The view from above on 8/27:

And now for August's main event...

Mammillaria theresae usually does its flowering in May and June, although sometimes the species will bloom in summer -- this example certainly did, going from buds (8/3 and 8/6)...

...to blooms a day later:

Up next, a couple of Astrophytums chiming in -- first, myriostigma quadricostatum with a big, beautiful flower facing south on 8/8:

A closeup of the above photo on the left, and we'll turn the plant around as the flower gives us a smile:

The beige spots you see on the plant are caused by water blisters under the skin which flatten out and form calluses. Not sure what causes this, although I have a feeling that it has something to do with the rather high humidity in my area. It's also interesting to note that the spots are more prevalent on the myriostigma's south-facing side. A bit unsightly, but I can't complain given how well it's doing as the "veteran" entered its 7th year under my care. Howzabout my other "veteran" Astro? We'll find out if the capricorne's growing buds in the 7/18 pic (left) would follow through to give us some on-camera satsifaction:

Yep, 8/6 was the day -- and the twofer I was hoping to see!

After my capricorne blooms, the spent flowers usually just dry up and fall off. However, its July flower turned into something I hadn't seen before -- what could that something be? Let's have a look on 8/13 and 8/16:

Well, I'll be jiggered -- that's a fruit! I recently "harvested" it, and there's no doubt about the fact that I have a bunch of viable seeds on my hands. The species isn't self-fertile, so there had to be some cross-pollination going on. What could've done the deed? It so happens that my Astro asterias was blooming around the same time, and I think the seeds will produce an attractive asterias/capricorne hybrid.

The capricorne wasn't the only Astro to bless me with a first-time fruit, as we'll see here on 8/13:

As with the capricorne, recent "harvesting" yielded viable seeds. I wasn't keeping track of all the flowers my 'capristigma' popped out this summer, although a reasonable guess would be that a bloom in early July led to the fruit. Unless the plant is self-fertile, we have another case of cross-pollination at work. If that's the case, who did the deed this time? The myriostigma was flowering in early July, so that must've been it. Okay, capricorne x myriostigma x myriostigma -- that should be interesting. Unfortunately I don't have the space to grow cacti from seed, although I'm in contact with a few local growers who'd like to have whatever seeds come from my collection.

Here we are at the end of November, but I still have plenty of "virtual summer" left in store. We'll take our time spooling out the big presentation I have for you, and hopefully it'll contribute a little bit to help you chase the winter "blues" away.
mruiz

Post by mruiz »

wow steve i love your collection! thank you for all the wonderful pictures, i recently just picked up an obregonia denegrii, its slightly pink, any reason on this?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

mruiz wrote:wow steve i love your collection! thank you for all the wonderful pictures, i recently just picked up an obregonia denegrii, its slightly pink, any reason on this?
Thanks, and it's nice to have a fellow Angeleno on the forum! Obregonia tends to pick up a bit of a tan in full sun, so that may be the reason for the pinkish hue on yours. If you can post a photo here, I'd like to have a look at it.
mruiz

Post by mruiz »

Steve Johnson wrote:
mruiz wrote:wow steve i love your collection! thank you for all the wonderful pictures, i recently just picked up an obregonia denegrii, its slightly pink, any reason on this?
Thanks, and it's nice to have a fellow Angeleno on the forum! Obregonia tends to pick up a bit of a tan in full sun, so that may be the reason for the pinkish hue on yours. If you can post a photo here, I'd like to have a look at it.
here you go!
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg (96.49 KiB) Viewed 2954 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

mruiz wrote:here you go!
More than "slightly" pink -- your Obregonia looks really stressed. If it had been growing under full sun in a really hot area, that might do it, but there could be something else going on. With that said, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet, so when we get into spring, see if the plant starts losing its tan and looks a little more like mine.
mruiz

Post by mruiz »

Steve Johnson wrote:
mruiz wrote:here you go!
More than "slightly" pink -- your Obregonia looks really stressed. If it had been growing under full sun in a really hot area, that might do it, but there could be something else going on. With that said, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet, so when we get into spring, see if the plant starts losing its tan and looks a little more like mine.
Well I bought this guy online from a cactus shop here in Los Angeles so I do not know if it had been been growing under full sun. I received it a couple of days ago. Should I directly put it in direct sun or keep it in the shade? What about watering?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

mruiz wrote:Well I bought this guy online from a cactus shop here in Los Angeles so I do not know if it had been been growing under full sun. I received it a couple of days ago. Should I directly put it in direct sun or keep it in the shade? What about watering?
SoCal went through some extreme heat in the last week of October, so that may have been the reason why the Obregonia got stressed before you received it. The lighting in your photo looks good, so I think the plant should be fine where it is. Although some occasional light watering in winter is nice, it's certainly not required. A question more to the point -- what kind of mix are you using? I haven't started my end-of-summer review yet, although I'll be posting my first installment soon (hopefully over the weekend). When I do, I'll include a "Cliff Notes" version of my growing practices, so it may give you some useful ideas.
mruiz

Post by mruiz »

Steve Johnson wrote:
mruiz wrote:Well I bought this guy online from a cactus shop here in Los Angeles so I do not know if it had been been growing under full sun. I received it a couple of days ago. Should I directly put it in direct sun or keep it in the shade? What about watering?
SoCal went through some extreme heat in the last week of October, so that may have been the reason why the Obregonia got stressed before you received it. The lighting in your photo looks good, so I think the plant should be fine where it is. Although some occasional light watering in winter is nice, it's certainly not required. A question more to the point -- what kind of mix are you using? I haven't started my end-of-summer review yet, although I'll be posting my first installment soon (hopefully over the weekend). When I do, I'll include a "Cliff Notes" version of my growing practices, so it may give you some useful ideas.
Great I cant wait to read it. I am just starting to research different mixes so I do not have much background in creating my own mix yet, but I am using California Cactus' mix with some added pumice.