Steve's 2015 stuff

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
george76904

Re: Steve's 2015 stuff

Post by george76904 »

Onzuka wrote:
george76904 wrote:Also, I'm a big fan of normal asterias, and I want all of those. The 2nd variegated one is stunning! Where did you get it from? 3rd one in particular looks awesome, I was thinking about buying seeds of the Oobio cv. Now I really want 'em!
The variegated and the Ooibo seeds were supplied to me by a guy in France. I bought them on Ebay. He only wanted 1 Euro, roughly $1 per variety so I took a punt. They turned out good and soon I will be able to produce my own seeds. In my case, the jury is still out on the variegateds. I've never really been fond of them, but I must admit that my opinion is changing.

Steve
Do you happen to remember the sellers name?
Thanks,
Will
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Thank you for the information! I think I'm going to go ahead and get some harrisa, some more astros, more opuntia (you can never have too much), and get to practicing! Of course the astro I really want is capt medusae, and I'm thinking of ordering from Gerado.cz. he has seemingly awesome seeds at good prices. Guess time will tell with that one.
Thanks for the information,
Will
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Here are a few more pics of my Astro grafts flowering for the first time.

The first two pics are Ooibos. I've pollenated them and time will tell if I have succeeded.

Here is a "red" flowered asterias. Its much redder than the normal plant, but a long way from red. It is bearing pollen, but the female pollen receptors are undeveloped.

and here is a general view of some grafts, still on the original Pereskiopsis, although I'm gradually changing them over to Harrisia.

Steve
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Onzuka wrote:I'll sow these 66 seeds shown above, absolutely fresh, and report what happens.

Steve
Germination on these very freshly harvested seeds has been good. I'll post a pic shortly and count up how many have germinated.

Steve
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Here's a couple of pics of Lophophora williamsii seed collection. They don't have a lot of seeds in each pod. These gave 4, 5 & 10.

Steve
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Onzuka wrote:Here's a couple of pics of Lophophora williamsii seed collection. They don't have a lot of seeds in each pod. These gave 4, 5 & 10.

Steve
From my experience thats pretty normal I do only tend to get a few seed per pod.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Mark

Post by Mark »

Excellent hybrids and seedlings Steve!

The "red" flowered asterias is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
Mark
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

I often wonder just whether Astrophytum capricorne will be able to get its flowers through the spines to open, but they always do somehow.

Steve