A small collection 2014: End-of-Summer Review

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

A small collection 2014: End-of-Summer Review

Post by Steve Johnson »

Although I'm well known (read "infamous"! :lol: ) to a good number of our longtime forum regulars, I just wanted to re-introduce myself over here on Member Topics. For those of you who haven't heard the story before...

After being away from the hobby for 20 years, I was able to start a small cactus collection in 2011. Now here we are 3+ years later, and the collection isn't quite so small anymore. I had trouble keeping up with last year's Member Topics thread, so I've been putting up the vast majority of my posts on the General forum since then. However, because MT's purpose is to follow the progress of various collections by our members, this is really the more appropriate place for my big presentations. Such being the case, there will be 3 main events every year -- Winter Shriveling/Spring Plumping, the Spring Flower Review, and the End-of-Summer Review. Now that I'm back at MT, the EoS review which covers my 2014 growing season is what you're about to see.

Before we continue, I just wanted to mention a few thoughts. First -- given my experience posting on the forum, there are 2 things I've done in the past I'd like to avoid from here on out. One is loading everyone up with too many photos per post. The other is my penchant for TMI. I'll try to bring that under control, and any commentary I offer will hopefully be "value added" features to make this review sufficiently entertaining. If I accomplish both missions, then breaking the EoS review up into 8 parts will get you all the way through with the good stuff I'll be presenting. Here's a brief look at what you'll have on the plate:

Part 1 -- The latest arrivals
Part 2 -- A little buying spree for the holidays
Part 3 -- Arrivals in the 2013 growing season
Part 4 -- Plant selections in 2012
Part 5 -- Some 2011 veterans that started it all
Part 6 -- The flowers of summer
Part 7 -- More flowers of summer
Part 8 -- Miscellaneous notables

And finally, I'll note the fact that I'm still getting to know quite a few of my cacti. Takes more than a growing season or two to know them really well, and the surprises I see with the plants I've acquired over the last couple years have been quite pleasant for the most part. Some observations worth noting in this review will relate to where these cacti came from. Differences in growing conditions and practice by the sellers are bound to show up as I watch what the plants do under my care over time. Everything in the collection is "hard-wired" to my outdoor conditions, lighting, and the practices I've developed since 2012. If I don't point them out already, it should be interesting if you can spot changes between what the sellers did and what I've been up to.

Okay, now it's time for "the really big shew". (Remember the late great Ed Sullivan?) As the journey takes us backwards in time, we'll begin with (oddly enough)...
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

Part 1 -- The latest arrivals

Post by Steve Johnson »

Ooh, I'll have to mess up the "backwards in time" arrangement a little bit.

2013 was a big year for 2 things that went hand-in-hand. First, the summer debut of a new 2-shelf plant bench replacing my old 1-shelf bench. Then time to expand the collection! The new bench has filled out rather nicely, so here's the collection in its entirety at the end of this summer:

The top shelf is reserved for the cacti which take as many hours of full sun as they can get:

The "real estate" on the bottom shelf has 2 subdivisions, Shady Glen...

...and Sun Valley:

With my cast of characters positioned on the stage, we'll view the latest arrivals...

I don't have much opportunity for spending time at local collections, so it was a real treat to visit C and D Plants in mid-March. Craig Fry set me up with a beautiful Melocactus matanzanus to replace the one I lost after making a few fatal mistakes in 2011. A lovely Frailea grahliana was bonus, and I really appreciated being able to take delivery of both plants in person. We'll look at the grahliana first. Craig was growing it in a greenhouse, and this is a rare instance in which I can show you exactly where one of my cacti came from:

Since Fraileas are sun-lovers, let's see what happens when I took the grahliana from the filtered light of its GH to full sun on the top shelf of my bench. The plant right after its repot, followed by a month of getting the top shelf treatment:

Didn't take long to observe the difference here -- maybe not a good one either, as the grahliana doesn't look too happy. But take the after, turn it into a before, and on the right you'll see a happy grahliana enjoying its summer:

On the south-facing side with 3 new pups:

Compared to my failed effort, this Melo matanzanus has been remarkably easy to get going -- 6 months of wonderful growth:

2014 started off with a tiny bang in February, courtesy of this Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus coming from Planta Seca (Alamo, CA -- great selection through eBay!). Here's the flower on
March 5:

My new pseudopectinatus started showing signs of activity on top at the end of June. Being that Turbs are slow growers, I didn't expect to see much from only 3 months of summer -- these before-and-after pics are nice anyway:

Next we'll go back in time to December, with some nice doings then and now...
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Steve Johnson

Part 2 -- A little buying spree for the holidays

Post by Steve Johnson »

As I said earlier, 2013 was a big year for yours truly, and it proved my theory that there's no such thing as a "bad" season whenever I'm ready to bring in new plants. One of life's blessings in our SoCal climate, so why not do some holiday cactus shopping? Because I have no prior experience with these selections, this'll be a great opportunity to see how well they're doing after their first summer under my care. (FYI -- I'll identify the "before" pics by date, the "afters" were taken toward the end of September.)

The spree ended right before New Year's Day, when I received a lovely Geohintonia mexicana seedling from Tee Dee Cacti in Lakeport, CA. The nursery is a greenhouse operation, so I took the grower up on his advice to keep the plant shaded in the late morning/early afternoon hours. However, Tee Dee's cactus mix was another matter -- composted soil and perlite. That stuff just had to go, but I waited for the end of winter before I felt the Geohintonia would be amenable to a repot in the coarse pumice/DG aggregate I've been so successful with. It happened the same day in mid-March when I transplanted the new cacti I got from C and D. From 4/12 to 9/21, let's see how the Geohintonia has been responding:

Very nice! I think there's a new rib coming in too.

Reviewing what was left on my wish list in early December, I saw that Miles' To Go (AZ) and Mesa Garden (NM) had most of the cacti I wanted. Shipping plants from there to here might've been a problem, since the southwest US can experience freezing cold at night even in fall. Luckily, frost-free overnights in the southwest kept a good weather window open, and the bulk of my December arrivals hit the doorstep in excellent shape before Christmas. These 2 selections came from MG, and worthy targets any Epithelantha lover should appreciate...

Epithelantha bokei. Although I repotted the plant right after it came in, by March it was still too busy being dormant to sulk yet. Here we are on the left, and on the right you'll see the bokei as its nice, plump summer self:

I'll show you a different side angle, 6/21 on the left -- okay, now it's sulking. This before-and-after tells a nice story, doesn't it?

The bokei sure didn't take long to get over its sulk, and at least in my experience this busted a myth about Epithelanthas supposedly needing a year to get firmly established. Now a view from the top:

I learned about sulking and the phenomenon of sulk rings from a micromeris I got in spring 2012. Part of the learning was to discover that at least 1 species doesn't go through it when the plant gets established -- my other MG Epithelantha, gregii 'rufispina'. 4/26 on the left, a month later in the middle, and on the right as fall is about to begin:

Up next -- the contingent coming in from M2G. Stenocactus lloydii, 3/16 on the left as the plant is already starting to grow:

Weingartia neocumingii brevispina, repotting day on 12/23 (left):

I think the Weingartia wants more sun than I'm able to give it in Shady Glen. If so, there's nothing I can do to resolve the issue given the fact that a few compromises were inevitable when I expanded the collection last summer. Not optimal perhaps, but the plant looks decent enough to enjoy anyway.

Mammillaria perezdelarosae perezdelarosae. While the plant responded to its spring watering quite well, I didn't start seeing signs of new activity until the end of June. This represents 3 months of summer:

A good top view of new spine development, 7/18 on the left:

This beautiful Mamm doesn't seem to mind the shade it's getting in Shady Glen. A summer grower? Or does the species like to grow in spring as well? Not sure how long the plant took to establish, so I'll find out next year.

No doubt about it, this cactus was a fast starter -- Cumarinia odorata. From winter dormancy to producing new offsets in April, so let's see what the plant looks like with those pups going at it. 4/19 on the left and 9/21 on the right:

Same dates top-to-bottom with another side view close up:

The odorata's south-facing side...

...and a view from above:

I figured the species to be a spring bloomer. While these flowers aren't much to look at, I'm glad see 'em this late in summer! :)

Of the M2G cacti I acquired in December, I'm saving the best for last because it has turned out to be a pretty major success story for me. That would be my very first Discocactus, and what a wonderful choice -- buenekeri! Conventional wisdom suggests that transplanting Discos should only be done in the growing season given their temperamental nature when the roots are disturbed. Such being the case, getting them in winter isn't a good idea. Now I'll show you a Disco that says conventional wisdom ain't worth much. 3/8 on the left followed by more than 6 months of well-established and healthy growth:

My, how busy that pot looks! But wait, there's more. I noticed some rather interesting new activity around the cephalium, so we'll zoom in here going from 9/1 to 3 weeks later:

New pups? Nope, they sprout from the base of the plant. What we see here is the cephalium in the process of widening! Although I'm familiar with cephalium growth in Melocactus, I know nothing about growing behavior in mature Discos, so it's a treat to have this new experience and observe it firsthand. I'll certainly look forward to watching the buenekeri's wooly top getting wider over the years. And flowering? Oh yeah, talk about firsts -- the buenekeri gave me its first flower on 6/1. With a healthy Disco on my hands, I'm sure to see more flowers in the 2015 growing season, and I have a feeling the buenekeri could be a centerpiece in upcoming reviews.

The little holiday spree of mine started right after Thanksgiving, with a lovely Rebutia heliosa I found through eBay. The plant arrived in great shape, although I ran into some trouble when a couple of its pups mysteriously shriveled up and died in February. (If you'd like the backstory on this, you can find it here.) Minor surgery to remove the dead pups necessitated a repot, so I didn't know if post-surgery trauma would impact the heliosa's establishing time. Apparently it did, and I was concerned about the lack of new growth as spring transitioned into summer. Then suddenly the plant woke up in mid-July -- these before photos are from 7/18:

On the one hand, it was good to see the heliosa recovering and finally in growth. On the other, I have to wonder if the plant has been complaining about its spot in Shady Glen. Appears to be a miscalculation on my part. However, I'm thankful that I've made very few of those after I familiarized myself with seasonal changes in the sun/shade conditions created by last summer's new setup. Since I've mulled over the situation, I found a better spot for the heliosa over the border into Sun Valley. Hopefully more time under full sun will do the trick next year.

Okay, my friends -- get ready for Part 3 and our next stop back in time...
Last edited by Steve Johnson on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robb

Re: A small collection 2014: End-of-Summer Review

Post by Robb »

Cool stuff, Steve! The before and after photos are really interesting! Fraileas are actually shade lovers, but yours seem to love the treatment you give them! :D
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Steve Johnson

Part 3 -- Arrivals in the 2013 growing season

Post by Steve Johnson »

I know we should be talking summer here, but I'll include 2 freebies I was pleased to get courtesy of the Long Beach Cactus Club last fall. Great bunch, although my weekend schedule rarely gives me the time to attend meetings. Anyway, I did manage to make one in October (that was a year ago -- wow, how the time flies!), and I drew a cactus or succulent of my choosing. I found a really nice selection too -- Leuchtenbergia principis. I had bad luck with them as a youngster, but my growing practices are light years ahead of where they were in my first 20 years of cactus collecting. Let's see if things work out any better this time around. Here's what the new Leuchtenbergia looked like when it came to me on 10/6/13:

I'm not a fan of plastic pots, and that had to be changed sooner or later. While the urge was to do it sooner, Leuchtenbergias do best with light watering care in winter, so I wasn't sure if disturbing the plant would be a good idea before the growing season started. Since I found the perfect glazed ceramic pot for it, 3/18 was go time to repot the Leuchtenbergia with my "trademark" pumice/DG mix. Repotting day on the left, followed by 6 months in its new home:

A new tubercle would be great, but there'll be plenty of growing time for that next year. I'm just tickled to see that my Leuchtenbergia seems to like what I'm doing.

The other freebie came a month before I got the Leuchtenbergia, a gift kindly given to me by a member of the LBCC. Being a fan of Escobarias, he asked me if I grow them. Don't think I've ever tried one, so he set me up with a lovely little E. minima. Here it is with the 2013 growing season about to end:

My friend advised me to grow the minima hard (i.e. deep watering once a month in spring and summer, no water at all in winter). I've been following his advice, and I really like the results. Here's the plant as it started growing toward the end of May, then said results 4 months later.

The only observation I'll offer here is that the plant came from growing in a greenhouse to being outdoors on the top shelf of my plant bench. The older spines definitely seem to have more of an outdoor look -- no disrespect to my LBCC friend, but I prefer that look over the GH-grown spines. (Does that observation make any sense, or am I off base?)

The Web has been a real game-changer in terms of access to a wide variety of cacti we can find online. While the quality of the plants you get may be a crapshoot if you don't know the seller, knowing a nursery by solid reputation beforehand will go a long way toward stress-free buying choices. I found that out already, when I made my first purchase through the CoronaCactus website in 2012. Although I heard nothing but good things about Miles' To Go in AZ and Mesa Garden in NM, I hadn't done business with them until my new plant bench arrived last summer. Then it was time to go cactus shopping, and I now had the pleasure of dealing with 3 highly reputable online sources. I'll identify the following plants by where they came from, and once again, the "before" pics are dated. If I don't give you a specific date on the "afters", they were taken toward the end of September 2014. Now for the "summer stock" players in alphabetical order...

Ariocarpus fissuratus (CCN). In my younger days, my only talent with Arios was knowing how to rot them. These days it's a very different situation, and the pumice/DG mix I've been using did wonders to give the fissuratus a good start on life under my care. Arriving in mid-July, I figured on the plant needing a summer to establish before I'd expect to see this slow grower do anything above-ground. 10/27/13 on the left as my new Ario was settled in well, and at the end of its 2nd summer on the right:

Maybe difficult to tell, but if you look closely at the "after" photo, you'll see a new little tubercle pointing toward the lower right corner. Here's a side view, 4/12 on the left with a thirsty fissuratus getting ready to grow:

That long beige tuft of apical wool is new this summer, and another sign that I'm looking at my first Ario success!

Copiapoa laui (CCN). 7/14/13 on the left, and notice how it's filling out in this "after":

I detected its first bud way back at the beginning of August. Took a long time before it did anything, but now we have 2 buds, and they may be going somewhere with this. Here's a top view of the laui, 6/9 on the left with some spring activity on the growing point. Check out those buds on the right -- cute little cactus, ain't it?

Will we see my first laui flowers? We'll have to wait together! (Late-breaking news -- if you haven't seen it yet, check this out!)

Coryphantha hesteri (M2G). My observational prowess notwithstanding, sometimes I need before-and-after pics to tell me if a plant is growing or not. 7/27/13 on the left, and on the right -- is this cactus growing?

Coryphanthas don't do much in summer, so truth be told, the hesteri was probably doing its magic in spring and I simply missed it. Guess I really was asleep at the switch, because the flowers I saw in August came from out of nowhere. Here's a view from the top -- 4/5 on the left, and on the right that hesteri is looking good coming out of its second summer:

Eriosyce napina glabrescens (CCN). I hadn't heard the term "earth cactus" before I joined the forum, but it fits the description of this very attractive plant. And fun to watch earth cacti go from "splat" in winter to fat after they take up water in spring. Here's the glabrescens 3 weeks after I transplanted it (8/3/13):

No appreciable sulking there, and Ian's advice about deep but carefully-timed watering got the plant through its first summer in fine shape. Okay, now for the splat -- coming out of winter on the left (4/5), but not quite fat after a few spring soaks (6/14):

Take the after, turn it into a before, then you'll see a summer of plumpness and growing:

This top view gives you the full "splat to fat" effect:

When you notice the green parts, it would be natural to assume that the glabrescens may not be getting enough sun. Au contraire, my friends! The back row of Shady Glen is under full sun pretty much all the time, and that's exactly where it sits. Because the species is a summer grower, the touches of green show us a glabrescens that's healthy and happy with what I'm doing.

Gymnocalycium baldianum. After I decided to ditch brick-and-mortar nurseries in favor of my preferred online sources, this was a rare departure from my current buying practice. Sunset Nursery in Silverlake, CA has been a local fixture for many years, and I do pop in there every once in awhile to see what they have cactus-wise. Mostly "garden variety" stuff (pun intended), but a very nice baldianum caught my eye. Given their attractive form, spidery spines, and deep red flowers, it's no wonder the species is so popular! 3 weeks after the baldianum came home with me following on the July 4th holiday last summer:

The plant getting ready for its first spring (4/19), followed by the end of this year's excellent summer:

While its flowers have come and gone for the year, you can find the spring blooms on my baldianum over at the General forum. Not the most prolific, but we'll see more next year!

Mammillaria guelzowiana (M2G). A big beautiful puffball that keeps getting bigger and more beautiful as time goes by. Here's 14 months of progress starting on 7/27/13:

The pup looking right at us, 9/22/13 on the left:

For some unknown reason, I hadn't set benchmark photos from the top yet, so here's the first at the end of this summer:

It came with just the 1 pup, but guelzowiana is pretty good about offsetting. Let another pup or two come in, and the plant will need a bigger pot -- nice problem to have, huh? Speaking of offsets...

Mammillaria hernandezii (M2G. By the way -- Miles Anderson sends out such wonderful plants, doesn't he?). It came with a pup, so here we are with good shots from the side and top on 9/22/13:

This before-and-after blows my socks off, 3/16 on the left:

The hernandezii started showing a "baby bump" at the end of last summer, barely noticeable then, but you could sure see it in March. The amount of progress in this top view is amazing:

From Cactuspedia: "The hernandezii needs full sun!!! Poorer luminosity levels produce a green anaesthetic plant with open, far and wide spaced areoles." While I thought about that comment, I was kinda concerned about keeping the plant in Shady Glen. Didn't seem to do the hernandezii any harm last summer, but it's such an attractive cactus, and playing "musical chairs" on the bench allowed me to move its position into Sun Valley. As the old saying goes, better safe than sorry -- the move really paid off. The compact form, deep green skin and dense white spines are simply beautiful, so I'm glad I was able to keep it that way when I remembered Cactuspedia's caution.

Mammillaria huitzilopochtli (MG. Steven Brack is no slouch at selling quality plants either!). Very unusual spination for a Mammillaria, and one of the faster-growing members of the genus. 3 months of growth in its first summer, 7/9/13 on the left -- need I say more?

The huitzilopochtli's first full growing season on my bench, 4/5 on the left:

I fell in love with this Mamm as soon as I saw it on Cactuspedia, and I'm glad that MG had them in stock. Hmmm, I wonder if it's mature enough for flowering yet...

Pygmaeocereus bylesianus (MG). Easy to get it going, 7/12/13 on the left followed by 3 months of growth:

Didn't take long for the bylesianus to show me a new pup, 5/4 on the left:

There was no doubt about putting the plant in Sun Valley from the get-go. Although the new growth does look good, I think I can tell the difference between growing it in New Mexico summers, and the not-so-blazing-hot-all-the-time summers in my part of L.A. Or is it just my imagination? If not, unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it. While we're at it -- my bylesianus gave me its very first flower in August, which I showed you here. That's a brand-new bud in the "after" pic, although it being so late in the year and all, I don't know if the plant will make it into flower. October looks promising after an early fall heat wave, so if steady 80-plus daytimes keep going, we may see this night-bloomer at work again! (Update -- 11 days of October heat did the trick.)

Strombocactus disciformis (CCN). I hadn't tried growing a Strombo before, although the same applied with most of my other 2013 cacti. I'm always up for challenges, and besides, how could I resist a spiny pineapple? I'm sorry that Darryl has disappeared from the forum's radar screen, but I was glad to have his guidance so I sorta kinda knew what I was doing when I introduced his plants to the collection. The disciformis came ready-made with a bud that went into flower on 7/27/13:

A lovely cactus it was last summer, so let's see if I'm doing as well. 4/12 on the left:

As you can tell, the plant shriveled a lot over the winter, but that's what desert cacti do -- no biggie. My miscalculation was not knowing how much water this thirsty plants needs during springtime. Every 2 weeks? Perhaps okay in early spring, but I suspect that it should've been deep drenches once a week starting when May heats up. I finally got a clue at the end of June, so I'll keep this experience in mind for next year's growing season. In the meantime, my disciformis ended its 2nd summer in decent shape. A bird's-eye view of the growing point:

Aside from my spring watering boo-boos, I was pleasantly surprised to see the disciformis flowering remarkably early and often. In case you were wondering, the species likes to send up flushes -- I wouldn't be surprised if we see a repeat performance next year.

I'll end this installment with...

Turbinicarpus jauernigii (MG). A great addition I selected for my Turb contingent, and I haven't had any trouble with it. Didn't grow much last summer, but I didn't expect otherwise. 7/27/13 on the left, and 14 months to the day on the right:

Nothing to see on top last summer, although the situation is different at the end of this one:

A couple of observations worth noting here. First, when you look at the before-and-after photos, you'll notice a distinct change in appearance when the jauernigii went from the dry desert heat in NM to my more humid semi-coastal L.A. microclimate. And since MG was growing the plant in a greenhouse, we'll throw in the difference between the sun there and its current spot in Shady Glen. The new spines are robust enough, although I'm not thrilled about how green the skin looks. There is something I can do about that. However, in the interest of keeping my TMI under control, I'll just say that what I have in mind will hopefully make the jauernigii look less like a green jelly baby next year. The second observation goes like this -- we play a dangerous game if we water our Turbs too often. One problem is ending up with bloated, elongated plants -- consistent with what can happen to all Turb species. Luckily I haven't gone that far with any of mine, but some Turbs are also prone to splitting if they're overloaded with water. The jauernigii is still new to me, so I'm trying to use some reasonable judgement on whether or not the plant looks thirsty enough for a nice deep drink. It's tricky right now since the jauernigii clearly wants to keep growing. So far, so good, and there's another hope I have -- no splitting!

As we're on a roll here, it's time for a look farther back in time...
Steve Johnson

Part 4 -- Plant selections in 2012

Post by Steve Johnson »

Talk about game-changers, 2012 was a huge year thanks to being so active on the forum. In fact, if it weren't for the education I received there, I'm positive that bad old habits would've followed me back into a failing collection. I've discussed the major turnaround in great detail elsewhere, so I won't rehash all the things that changed my growing habits from bad to good. However, there is a good one to bring up as we begin this installment...

Not sure why, but for the longest time I convinced myself that getting new cacti in fall and winter isn't a good idea. Lack of experience I suppose, although I sure made up for it fast as I discovered that there's no such thing as a bad time for getting them here in SoCal. I lost my second effort with Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus in July 2012, but they're such pretty plants, and I wasn't about to give up. And it was also the point when I decided that buying potted cacti from a local brick-and-mortar nursery wasn't for me anymore. Since I already knew that I could rely on CoronaCactus as a great source for quality bare-root plants, I put the call out to Darryl for a few choice selections I had my eye on that December. He was keeping rubispinus in stock then, plus he had a Frailea castanea available which I really wanted (I never tried Fraileas before). The third was a bonus find -- Gymnocactus ysabelae, a species rarely seen in US collections. No trouble at all getting this spiny gem through its first winter. However, being a slow grower (think "Turbinicarpus"), it was a fair assessment to say that the ysabelae would spend the first growing season under my care concentrating its energies on root establishment before I'd see any activity above-ground. I was correct, and my first sign of visible progress came when I saw its first (perhaps very first!) flower to greet the 2014 growing season, here on 3/15:

On the left, 2 days before the flower popped. The end of summer on the right, and the ysabelae is definitely growing!

The beginning of last year's growing season on the left -- as I said, the view wouldn't have been any different at the end of summer. Not true about this summer!

Up next, the castanea. IMO most attractive and interesting of the genus, and a fast starter too. Plumping after its first March soak was immediate, with new growth coming not long after. Here it is starting to grow on 5/21/13, followed by the end of its second summer on 9/21/14:

Same dates with a top view:

As you can see, the castanea is flatter and more disclike compared to last year. IMO this is exactly they way they should look, so I'm really pleased to see it. I did run into a couple of problems, though. First -- pumice dust from the mix coming up and depositing itself on the skin and spines. Certainly not life-threatening, just unsightly. The only way I can get presentable photos these days is to mist the plant when I take the shot. (Since I'll need to get my castanea into a glazed ceramic pot in the near future, maybe I should take a hint from James and wash the mix out thoroughly beforehand.) The other problem doesn't worry me, but I'm kinda disappointed about it. Fraileas being the sun-lovers they are, I didn't expect to see touches of sunscorch on the castanea. Well, that's what happened this summer -- but why? It came to me as a 2-year-old seedling, and while I can't say for sure, I believe Darryl was growing it in a greenhouse. The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that the move from CCN's growing conditions to being in mine may not have agreed with the tiny young thing. If so, this is a delayed reaction. The castanea is growing well otherwise, so hopefully it'll continue growing enough to where the scorching won't be noticeable within a few years.

Ah yes, the rubispinus -- 2 attempts, 2 failures, and I added my experience to the itemized list of things which told me that I still had a lot to learn. In the interest of keeping my TMI at bay, I'll simply state that while Echinocereus in general is easy, rubispinus is the one member of the genus that'll break your heart unless you know what you're doing. The keys to success with my third effort were A. getting a plant with squeaky-clean roots from the seller, and B. following Darryl's helpful advice on its particular watering needs. I honestly didn't know how long it would take before the roots were grabbing in, but by mid-June 2013 I was thrilled to see that I had a rubispinus actually growing for me! A promising start, although I was amused to see it looking like a bowling pin by the end of its first summer. In the following 3-panel, you'll notice that on the left (9/14/13), then the rubispinus growing out of its bowling pin look on 7/5, and on the right at the end of this summer:

This 3-panel top view demonstrates the 3 stages of growth. The apex just starting to wake up (3/29), new spring wool (4/12), then a summer of growth showing a head full of vibrant deep red spines:

The only rubispinus flower I've seen already came on the one I got shortly before it rotted on me last year. Now that my success is so strong and healthy, I think it'll be ready to bloom in spring. Those flowers are drop-dead gorgeous, so I may be in for an incredible display with our next growing season!

Before we get to my summer 2012 acquisitions, we'll examine the one and only cactus I'm raising straight from seed. It wasn't on purpose either -- a tiny surprise popping up from the pot hosting a big, beautiful Eriosyce senilis. I got the plant in June 2011, so how long that seed was hiding in there is something of a mystery. A really nice one, though, and here's what I noticed during a plant inspection in mid-September 2 years ago:

To give you a sense of proportion, this is the seedling on its own in a new 2" pot (the smallest I had!) -- 3/18/13:

Another 3-panel display -- 9/21/13 on the left, a year later on the right, and 4/17 in the middle:

My little senilis volunteer is growing into a perfect miniature version of the parent that issued its seed. Space constraints on my plant bench kinda force me to decide between keeping duplicates of the same species and giving up the dupes in favor of new selections. But in this case, the decision is easy -- both senilises stay!

There were only a few buys that summer, all from CCN. I had nothing but bad experience with Astrophytum asterias in my younger days, and it was frustrating to see that my 2011 effort didn't end up any better. Then came Darryl to the rescue with a lovely bare-root asterias on 7/15/12 and good advice to follow. Wish I used my benchmark before-and-after framing procedure a lot more in 2012, and slow growth with the species would've come in handy going from then to now. Oh well, water under the bridge. Anyway, in the absence of "then and now" progress photos, I'll tell you that my current asterias is doing well, and so well that the plant gave me its first-ever flower last summer, followed by 3 this year. You'll get to see the asterias blooming in "The flowers of summer", so stay tuned! In the meantime, I do have 2 CCN summer cacti to show you here...

Stenocactus zacatecasensis settling in on 7/21/12:

With a more consistent application of my framing procedure in 2013, this before-and-after represents 18 months of progress -- 3/16/13 on the left:

Gymnocalycium stenopleurum right after its transplant (7/15/12):

I've noticed that stenopleurum gets really stressed in fall and winter. Beginning growers may get freaked out by the view, although it's nothing new to me -- 11/23/13 on the left followed by 3 months of dormancy:

Now take the after, turn it into a before, and what a change you'll see with its third summer of growth!

The stenopleurum looks the best I've seen to date. The only criticism I'll make is that IMO the ribs should have more of a suntan. I was watering the plant every 2 weeks over the 2012 and 2013 growing seasons, so the only difference this year has been once a week in summer. Maybe the stenopleurum doesn't need it as often during summertime? I'll have to consider getting it back to watering every 2 weeks spring and summer next year. Any feedback on this yeah or nay would be appreciated.

Early May 2012 was the last time I would go to the California Cactus Center in Pasadena for plant shopping. Of the 3 cacti I selected there, the rubispinus lasted barely 2 months before it went to the great compost heap in the sky. (Back then I wish I knew about what could happen if you don't thoroughly prep cactus roots changing from someone else's mix to your own.) The results with my other 2 selections were decidedly mixed. The best has been with my Mammillaria deherdtiana -- another species we don't see much of in the US. Here it is after transplanting on 5/6/12:

I didn't think about what the deherdtiana's flowers might look like, but it was a mind-blower to see how big and showy they are when I viewed its first bloom on the cusp of March and April last year. Then the flat mites came in June. That was a nasty surprise, and they were already doing damage around the base of the plant before I knew what was happening. The species offsets with age, so either mine is older than I realized, or the flat mite damage stimuated some serious pupping action. This is pretty amazing -- going from 4/12/14 to 5 months later, on the north-facing side...

...the east-facing side...

...the south-facing side...

...and the west-facing side:

Now a top view from this year, with late March buds on the left and a summer of growing pups on the right:

At the rate my deherdtiana is throwing out offsets, there won't be anything left of the mite damage to see in a year or two. By the way, I know how to make sure those flat mites will never come back.

I love Epithelanthas, but in my days as a young lad, the experience I had with them was brief and so horrible that I decided the genus was beyond my capabilities. It was a radical departure for me going from "old school" soil-based cactus mixes to the pure mineral mix I went with starting in the spring of 2012. This change made me bolder about trying again with "difficult" species that may not be so difficult for me now. Enter Epithelantha micromeris -- in its new home on 5/6/12, and a month later this is the look of sulking:

I was concerned about how much water it lost early on, but this time it was the forum to the rescue with some advice on how to get the plant established. Another item on the list of things I didn't know before -- Epithelanthas can take a good while to get their root systems going full speed. (Well, not necessarily, as discussed in my Part 2 comments.) After signs of an excellent recovery in March and April 2013, a pot sizing boo-boo sent me into a "1 step forward, 2 steps back" situation later that spring. However, nothing the plant couldn't recover from. So with my boo-boo corrected last summer, I'll show you a micromeris I can be pleased with -- at the beginning of its 2014 growing season on 3/16, followed by the end of summer:

See that tiny fuzzball on the side? Odd place for it, but could be a new pup. We'll see the micromeris again in "Miscellaneous notables". Until then here's a view from the top, same timeframe:

Like ships passing in the night, my last time with the CCC was also my first time with CCN. While I could repeat the story about why I have a Turbinicarpus polaskii family, there's an update I'll save for another occasion. These 2 plants from CCN were completely new experiences, and both have been trouble free from the moment they came in. Mammillaria blossfeldiana on 4/30/12:

This Baja species is an opportunistic grower, which I found much to my very pleasant surprise. A desert cactus growing in winter? Pick the right plant and give it a nice, warm one -- the winter of 2013/14 was unusually warm (and at times hot!). Here we see the blossfeldiana sporting a brand-new pup on 1/11, and wow, look at how big it's grown over the spring and summer!

Eriosyce odieri odieri rounded out my initial purchase from CCN. It came ready-made with a set of buds that turned into a beautiful flush, and the plant was fairly easy to establish. Compared to my E. senilis, odieri does its growing in summer. Here with some nice apical activity on 9/22/12:

That unusually cool 6-week period I went through last summer (AKA my infamous "summer that wasn't") kept it from doing much besides flowering. Now we have a flip-flop with plenty of heat in this year's season -- going from 4/12 to 9/20:

As we continue our trip back in time, I'll end this installment with my 3 March 2012 buys from the CCC. Turbinicarpus valdezianus -- something I really wanted, but my first experience with it turned out to be a major disappointment. I don't even want to talk about what happened anymore, especially since my current effort is doing so well. (Guess where the successful valdezianus came from? CCN!) Because A. they're slow, and B. the species does its growing in spring and fall, I'll post up before-and-after progress photos going from last spring to next month after the fall part of my growing season is done. We'll look at them over in the General forum.

Tephrocactus articulatus inermis -- not disappointing at all. You can see it here in A Tephrocactus summer.

Sulcorebutia callichroma longispina -- took about a millisecond to fall in love with it when I saw one on the Miles' To Go website. I would've started doing business with M2G right then and there if it weren't for the fact that the CCC had them in stock when I came by just to see what was on hand. Here settled in a month after repotting (4/3/12):

Words can't do the longispina's fantastic growth justice, so I'll let these photos do the talking. Entering its third spring on the left, and the end of summer 2014 on the right -- north-facing side...

...and from the top:

Hmmm, I think the longispina could be ready for a bigger pot next year.

In my next installment, we'll review progress on some of the cacti that began my collection over the spring and summer of 2011.
Steve Johnson

Before we continue, a housekeeping note

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sorry to interrupt, but I notice that some of the images may not be loading for you. I host all my photos on OneDrive, so I don't know if the glitch is coming from Windows Live's web servers, or the server(s) that host the forum's content. If you're running into this trouble, please try again later -- I guarantee you the pics are online.

Thanks for your patience! :)
Steve Johnson

Part 5 -- Some 2011 veterans that started it all

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'll begin this installment as I tell you that my current collection had humble beginnings. In fact, so humble that I ended my 20-year absence from the hobby starting out with 2 cacti. That was in May 2011, when I went to a local Armstrong Garden Center for Habanero plants. (Habaneros are my favorite peppers, and I've found it quite rewarding to grow them myself.) Armstrong's c&s section comprises 5% of their floor space -- mostly s, not much c, but they had a couple of old favorites I simply couldn't pass up. And one of them happened to be...

Mammillaria spinossissima. The "red-headed Irishman" was one of the plants that motivated me to start a new collection in 1970. Certainly a fitting choice to find one at Armstrong, although it was also a newbie mistake to use the mix they sell. That's right -- E.B. Stone cactus & succulent mix! EEK!!! Here's the Irishman at the end of September 2011, and a case study of what happens when you try to grow cacti in a completely unsuitable mix:

I replaced that crappy stuff with pumice/DG mix in the early spring of 2012. Now here's what I call progress -- 9/21/13 and a year later:

My other old favorite coming from Armstrong was Espostoa lanata -- the "old lady of Peru". Once again, at the end of September 2011 and another case study:

Even after a growing season of being in mineral mix, the plant didn't do much. I suspected an over-potting problem, so I downsized the pot from 4" to 3". That did the trick, and the old lady has been happy from then on. 3/21/13 on the left, April 2014 in the middle, and the end of summer on the right:

The 2 Armstrong finds wetted my whistle, but I had to get a better source for cacti. As I mentioned in Part 3, I swing by Sunset Nursery from time to time since it's on the way to my mother's place. I decided to check out what they had when I went to visit the maternal unit shortly after my trip to Armstrong. While Sunset's selection was decent enough, I was really disappointed in how they were treating their cacti. I wanted to say something to their staff, but I decided that there wouldn't be any point. All I could do was ask if they knew of any dedicated cactus nurseries left in the area. Yep -- a place I remembered from many years ago, and I was thrilled to find out that it's still in business. The California Cactus Center in Pasadena started out as Maleenee Desert Studio, and I knew it under that name when I went there a few times for cacti in the mid-1980s. Under ownership by the same family to boot, and I made a beeline for the CCC in June of that year. Time to build a collection...

I prepared a wish list with other old favorites plus cacti I hadn't tried growing before that would fit my particular collecting interests. I was pleased to reacquaint myself with the CCC 25 years after my first visit there, and I was equally pleased by what I selected. To set up the rest of this installment, here's what my collection looked like at the end of summer 2011:

As much as I wouldn't mind showing you everything plant-by-plant, I'll stick only with the highlight and lowlights. The lowest of the low were the cacti I lost, so "x" marks the unfortunate spots on my old bench. Here's a basic rundown on what happened:

Astrophytum asterias, lost its roots due to overwatering -- a pitfall of thinking that all desert cacti should be given the same treatment. Sometimes asterias can regrow the roots, but I didn't have enough experience with the species to do it. Thanks to finally knowing about what they want, my current asterias is happy and healthy.

Echinocereus rigidissimus rubispinus, everything I just said about asterias applies here. (Hint -- try not to let your cacti lose their roots the first time!)

Melocactus matanzanus, I covered my tale of woe extensively elsewhere on the forum. The matanzanus featured in Part 1 more than makes up for the heartbreak.

Stenocactus multicostatus, quick death by Neem oil spray. The first and last time I made that mistake.

Turbinicarpus polaskii, rotted in October 2011 when I should've stopped watering it at the end of September. (The mix I was using back then had a lot to do with it too. I'll briefly discuss that issue in a bit.) Talk about heartbreak, I knew the history of this cactus as a remnant of the "mother of all cactus sales" after Woody Minnich liquidated his old Cactus Data Plants collection in 2007. I loved that old Turb, although there were 2 good things which came out of the loss. First, 3 seedling volunteers that survived. When I got a new polaskii from CoronaCactus in spring 2012, it's how we ended up with the Turb polaskii family you may have seen over the last couple years. (I'll have to break up the family soon -- more to follow on the General forum.) And second, my worry over the situation led me to discover the forum. That, my friends was a genuine blessing in disguise for so many reasons.

Copiapoa hypogaea, eventually lost to rot. What a beautiful plant it was, and it would be with me today if I paid more attention to thorough root cleaning when I changed out the CCC's mix with pumice/DG mix. Another tale of woe I've covered elsewhere on the forum, although at least I was able to save all the pups. I gave away most of them, but I kept the biggest and best 2 for myself. Both survivors are thriving.

Okay, I promised that I won't rehash all the things that changed my growing habits from bad to good. However, I can't get away without bringing the subject of potting mixes into this discussion...

When I went to the CCC, why not start using their mix as well? I have enough common sense to be leary of commercial mixes, so after my brief flirtation with Armstrong, that was it for the E.B. Stone crap. My hope was that I'd be dealing with more of a custom mix properly tailored to desert cacti. So here's what I got -- sandy loam composted with a moderate amount of small twigs and bark with some pumice and gravel mixed in. Not the best, but not bad compared to the E.B. Stone cactus mix. Actually, the CCC's mix would've been fine if I leaned it out with a lot more pumice (which they sell, by the way). If the people there were familiar with the semi-coastal microclimate in my area, they might have advised me accordingly. Unfortunately the advice they offered didn't go far enough, and while it was fine for them, it wasn't for me. (L.A. is a massive area, and I won't find fault with anyone who doesn't know the all the different microclimates we have here -- even for people who've lived in the Los Angeles basin for many years.) With that said, there are some highlights featuring cacti which did pretty well growing in the CCC mix over their first summer.

Eriosyce senilis -- the only plant that seemed to enjoy being in the mix. The big mistake I made was keeping it dry that winter, although not a fatal one. Luckily they're more tolerant under cultivation than they should be, but even so, the senilis didn't look too happy at the beginning of spring 2012:

Then with regular watering in spring and summer, the plant looked happy again -- here on 9/22/12:

After correcting a few other small mistakes in 2013, the senilis really took off. Here it is on 10/26/13, and again at the end of this summer:

The only change I made to the mix was adding 50% pumice for better drainage. This species does best with full-on deep watering in winter, so the change allowed me to replace occasional sips during the winter of 2012/13 with monthly soaks over the course of last winter. Since we have another on the way, my senilis will continue to get the watering care it needs to keep the plant happy as it prepares for the next growing season.

I grew a fair number of Gymnocalyciums in my younger days, and platense was the species that interested me the most. Couldn't find one at the CCC, although there was a good selection of other Gymnos on hand. Kind of a tough choice, but ochoterenae vatteri caught my eye. Here it is showing some nice summer growth on 9/27/11:

They sure turn into a "splat" during winter -- typical for ochoterenae as we see here on 3/10/12:

That April was the month for my big repotting project, so we're now looking at a plant that went from the CCC mix into straight pumice/DG mix -- the vast majority of my cacti have been growing in it ever since. The vatteri's progress over the 2014 growing season:

I'm fond of fishhook Mamms, and the choice wasn't tough at all when I spotted a Mammillaria grahamii with its unusually attractive orange fishhook spines. Not much growth in its first summer:

The move from the CCC mix to mineral mix perked the plant up remarkably in 2012, and it was wonderful to see the grahamii bloom for the first time under my care. I regret that I wasn't more consistent with benchmark progress photos before this year. Oh, well -- I can still give you an eyeful of how much new growth my beautiful "monster" has pushed out in the 2014 season:

So far I've shown cacti from the CCC that were new to me. Next I have 2 old favorites for you, but with a twist. I couldn't resist Astrophytums as a tenderfoot, and I never had much trouble with myriostigma. However, I can't remember if I had the 4-ribbed variety in my first collection. The CCC included a var. quadricostatum in the inventory, so if I didn't before, I have one now. A nice hot October brought out its first flower, here on 10/30/11:

This 3-panel demonstrates the quadricostatum's progress throughout the 2013 growing season followed by the end of this summer:

Observations in the above photo set reflect good, bad, and ugly. The good -- my quadricostatum sets buds constantly until it goes dormant in winter, a prolific bloomer compared to the other Astrophytums I have in the collection. The bad and the ugly -- that nasty split you see on the right started in late March. It was a "live and learn" moment for me, and you can find a good presentation on it here. No problems to see in this top view -- 3/16/13 and 9/20/14:

Sadly, experience with Astrophytum capricorne wasn't positive in my early go-rounds with cactus collecting. It was high on my wish list priorities when I made a special point of trying to find one at the CCC. A rare commodity there, but I was lucky enough to have the staff bring out a capricorne senilis that passed from Woody Minnich's hands to mine. I'm glad that I could be at the right place and time, although maybe not so lucky to see a sunburned, stressed-out little plant. But ya takes what ya gets, so I wanted to give it a shot -- here's the capricorne on 9/27/11:

The twist here wasn't good at all, and if any of the CCC cacti needed a genuine save going from the heavy amount of soil in the nursery's mix to my pumice/DG mix, I had it right in front of my face. The roots looked awfully pathetic when I unpotted the capricorne, but its response to my new and improved growing practice was beyond what I could've imagined. The view as of 8/21/12 -- hard to tell this was even the same plant:

This has been a spectacular success, and the capricorne continues to be a centerpiece among my Astros. A look at the 2014 growing season:

Addressing the final lowlights of 2011 involved my first-ever effort with Sulcorebutia plus 2 more old favorites that languished before I got my cultivational act together. That Sulco was a rauschii which went from this (9/27/11)...

...to this:

The plant came out of the CCC mix with a taproot and nothing more. As a matter of fact, I didn't think the rauschii would survive long enough to grow again. But survive -- and grow it definitely did! The start of a long, slow recovery in mineral mix (4/17/12):

While the results in 2012 weren't as spectacular, I saw my first rauschii flower and the 9-time blessing of new pups that summer. Going through winter in a shriveled and nutrient-starved condition seems par for the course with this plant, but it's amazing to see the rauschii come alive over the growing season. IMO the success of my save here rivals what I've done with the capricorne, albeit in a different way. 4/27 and 9/20/14 on the north-facing side...

...and from the top:

At the rate the rauschii is offsetting, the empty areas around its base could be full up within a year or two. Then time for a bigger pot -- what a nice problem to have!

Tephrocactus articulatus papyracanthus -- the "paper-spine" is right there with the red-headed Irishman as cacti of fond memory when I started my first collection in 1970. I was really hoping to find one, and my luck held out at the CCC as my Minnich legacy plants included a paper-spine. I kinda assumed that Tephros are easy, but the paper-spine turned out to be trickier than I thought. Instead of going through my experience with the plant chapter-and-verse here, you can find out all about it in A Tephrocactus summer.

My most sentimental old favorite is Cephalocereus senilis -- the famous "old man" cactus I loved, but couldn't keep long enough to grow back in the '70s and '80s. The CCC had 5 available when I was there, but with the caveat -- "one to a customer!" Better take good care of it, huh? Well...

If I hadn't changed out the CCC mix for straight pumice/DG, I'm sure it would've been deja vu all over again. When I was unpotting my cacti for their transition to the mineral mix in April 2012, it didn't occur to me that photographing them bare-root could be useful. (Finally picked up the clue, and it's been my standard practice since the summer of that year.) Such being the case, the following is a rare photo of what happened to the roots of a cactus suffocating in that heavy soil:

Mineral mix in a 1-gallon plastic pot is what saved the old man. When I repotted it, I started taking height measurements to track its growing progress. Beginning with a height of 4", the old man added 1.25" by the end of 2012, then another 1.5" the year after that. A before-and-after going from 7/27/13 to 7/19/14:

At the end of September 2014, the plant is standing tall at close to 9" -- that's 2.5" of new growth in just one season! Doesn't the old man look grand?

If you've gotten this far, that means it's time for...
Steve Johnson

Part 6 -- The flowers of summer

Post by Steve Johnson »

Last year's "summer that wasn't" kept down the number of flowers I'd normally see. But with the return of a nice hot summer, there were plenty to go around this time. Rather than trying to cram everything into a single post, this installment will look at smaller flowers which range from demure to surprisingly showy. The next one will cover the bigger blooms. Before we get to it -- some of these are photos you may have already seen before on the General forum, although worth another look. Others are pics you'll be viewing here for the first time.

Melocactus matanzanus -- already flowering in March, and they don't stop until summer is done:

Epithelantha gregii 'rufispina' -- its first flower appeared at the beginning of August. Then more flowers in onesies and twosies until the plant popped out a flush on 8/27:

A late summer heat wave in mid-September:

A couple of Turbs chiming in -- Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele:

Turb polaskii:

Frailea grahliana -- with all those buds sitting on the plant, I managed to miss its first flower on 6/18. No disappointment here 10 days later:

Copiapoa tenuissima -- first-time bloomer in early June. Then another flower 3 months later:

The flower stayed open all night, too!

Coryphantha hesteri -- flowers are on the small side, but they're oh so colorful! (Day-Glo petals?)

Next up -- time for the real show-offs...
Steve Johnson

Part 7 -- More flowers of summer

Post by Steve Johnson »

Gymnocalycium ochoterenae vatteri -- one of my old reliables that sets buds constantly throughout the growing season, then leaves something behind to winter over for blooming in spring. It'll give me flowers in dribs and drabs over late spring and summer, but the vatteri is always good for a flush or two during the hottest days of summer. Here we are at the end of August, setting the table. And it's a big table!

Even with the late summer heat, these flushes do a "slow burn" before all of the flowers open at once. The fuse has lit, and the display is just getting started on the morning of 9/6:

Now it's go time here at 4 p.m. The vatteri's flowers are showy at least in volume, if not in colors:

First-time flower for my night-blooming Pygmaeocereus bylesianus, here in mid-August:

It was a very pleasant surprise to have the bylesianus flower again in October. If you'd like to see more night-blooming magic, you can find it here.

Mammillaria blossfeldiana -- what a show-off! This lovely little Mamm is opportunistic about growing and flowering, so the colors can erupt at any time. Fireworks right after the July 4th holiday:

That was the blossfeldiana's big display of the year. With that said, the summer song may be over, but the melody lingers on -- 9/6:

The rest of this installment is devoted to "Astrophytum corner". And it's a pretty big corner!

For me one of the highlights last summer was the appearance of my very first Astro asterias flower. And of course, I had to miss it. Unfortunately the "summer that wasn't" prevented any hope for more flowers. The asterias gave me another shot with the return to a normal summer and plenty of heat this year. After waiting for such a long time to see one in my own collection, I finally got the pleasure. Caught on camera as its first flower of 2014 bloomed together with my 'capristigma' hybrid on 8/3:

These pics are all about the asterias:

Yep, that's right -- first. Think the asterias must've been just messing with me, because bloom #2 came and went before I could see it. Any luck with #3? Here's the bud on 9/7 and 2 days later:

No luck, so perhaps the asterias prefers weekdays :lol: . This was as close as I could get to viewing the flower before I had to head off for work:

While asterias isn't a prolific bloomer, 3 flowers so far with a new bud percolating tells me that I'm doing remarkably well with a "difficult" species which vexed me to the point where I gave up on them during my years as a young (and highly inexperienced) collector. Since the 'capristigma' is somewhat more prolific (and more cooperative), here's its latest flower on 9/28:

The blooms on this plant last for a couple of days. Here it is on day 2, looking a little bedraggled but still pretty:

Among my cacti, the biggest flowers I'll see are Astro myriostigma quadricostatum and capricorne senilis. Such being the case, this is the perfect way to end the review of my summer flowers before we move on to the next installment. As a contest for most beautiful flowers in the collection, these cacti are right on top. Is there a winner? IMO it'll be a toss-up. Here's the myriostigma with 2 buds on the way to a double flower -- on 9/6 and a day later:

That was flowering day -- on 9/7:

These top views give us a look at how the colors change with different lighting angles, going from midday to early afternoon:

And finally, my capricorne senilis -- I call it "queen of the Astrophytums" for very good reasons (one of which I'm sure is obvious to you). Technically, I was going to make 9/21 my cutoff point for End-of-Summer review photos, but I'll cheat just a little bit to keep this gorgeous late September flower in the running. Here it is on 9/28:

The capricorne's amazing recovery during 2012 included its first flower under my care toward the end of that summer. It flowered again a year later, but this time with a wonderful difference -- a little fall bud that wintered over, then resumed its development in early spring and went into flower at the end of May. Flower #2 in early August, and now you've just seen #3. With a bud in progress (think there could be another, I'll have to look), it'll be bud watch time when the 2015 growing season begins. I really hope this lovely cactus will give me a repeat of the over-wintering behavior I've been priviledged to experience.

Well, my friends, the review is almost over. But not quite, and I think you'll enjoy some unusual items of interest I have to offer...
Steve Johnson

Part 8 -- Miscellaneous notables

Post by Steve Johnson »

This End-of-Summer review wouldn't be complete without showing you some things that rate special attention...

First fruits

My only self-fertile cacti are Cumarinia odorata, Epithelantha micromeris, and Melocactus matanzanus, so it was a pleasant summer mystery to find fruits on a couple I wouldn't expect. For example -- although I've grown numerous Gymnocalyciums over the years, I can't remember if I had ever seen any of them set fruit before. My Gymno stenopleurum has been flowering regularly since I got it in summer 2012, but this is obviously its first fruit (7/26):

As the fruit slowly ripens, going from 7/26 to 8/16:

Here we are on 9/1, as the stenopleurum shows us 3 different stages of activity -- dried-up fruit ready for seed harvesting, a new bud, and vibrant new spines developing on the apex:

I don't know if the species is self-fertile. If it is, the seeds should be viable. If not, then the fruit was a one-off shooting blanks. Thoughts, anyone?

The other first fruit came out of flower #3 provided by my Astrophytum asterias on 9/9. Instead of just drying up as usual, the flower turned into this:

Could that be a fruit? The answer is -- yes!

We have 2 possibilities to consider. One is that asterias is self-fertile. The other (and more intriguing!) is that the plant cross-fertilized with my Astro myriostigma quadricostatum with its double flower starting to close up shop right when the asterias bloomed. This left a window of opportunity open for cross-pollination, and while I have yet to try hand pollination, there were plenty of tiny winged pollinators buzzing around the plant bench. I just extracted the seeds from the dried-up fruit, and here's what came out:

I don't have a proper setup to grow from seed, so the Gymno stenopleurum and Astro asterias seeds I have are up for grabs to anyone who wants them. If you're interested in getting them from either one or both, PM me with your snail-mail address. Available to US residents only, as I don't want to go through the hassle of putting together the export documentation required by the US postal service.

And now for something completely different. Next up, here's a fun little game I occasionally play called...

Is this cactus growing?

Although I do like Uebelmannias fairly well, pectinifera multicostata is the only species I found attractive enough to consider for my collection. Not easy to find when I went on the hunt, but Saxicola was kind enough to give me first dibs on selecting one from several he was going to sell on eBay. Here's what landed on my doorstep at the beginning of May 2013:

The plant came with a tiny set of roots, so I figured on the entire growing season for the root system to fill in before I could expect to see new apical growth. Now we'll look at the Uebelmannia's second growing season under my care, here on 3/16 and 9/20:

Based on these photos, the only firm conclusion I can reach is the fact that my Uebelmannia is taking up water, so at least we know the roots are working. What about new spines? From what I've seen elsewhere, new spines developing on pectinifera multicostata are a deep reddish-brown. Haven't been seeing it on this plant, so I hope that people with better Uebelmannia experience can provide a more definitive answer to my question -- is this cactus growing? (By the way -- while it's obvious that the plant is capable of surviving quite well in the temperate winters of my coastal microclimate, I'm wondering if this particular Brazilian species needs more year-to-year heat in springtime for proper growth. If so, then unfortunately I can't rely on the consistent spring heat I enjoyed in the March-May period this year.)

Oddities on the plant bench

And I do have a few of those, leading off with a couple of cacti growing offsets in strange places...

Coryphantha retusa rarely offsets, and even then it has to be an old plant under normal circumstances. However, this ain't normal because A. mine isn't that old, and B. as you can see in the "after" pic from 9/21, the new pup isn't coming in from the base of the plant as one would expect. I shot the "before" photo on 4/5, and less than a month later the retusa was infested with scale. Dang! At least the growing season was underway when it happened, so an Imidacloprid soil soak put down the infestation -- I wasn't about to let those little pests come back and have more fun at my expense! Was this scale attack enough to mount a response by the plant? If so, then it took sweet revenge by popping out the pup in an unusual, yet nice spot.

Here's another cactus under similar circumstances...

In Part 4, I showed you a before-and-after pic of my Epithelantha micromeris on 3/16 and 9/20. The "after" included an oddly-placed pup, so let's have a look when I detected it as a barely noticeable tiny fuzzball on 9/13:

This before-and-after exhibits only a week of the new pup's growth:

Where there was one, now there are two. Definitely rates an update with more recent photos, although I'll be saving them for a later post. In the meantime, what I can tell you concerning the micromeris is that the poor thing got hit with flat mites in June of last year. My introduction to this particular (and little-known) pest was something I could've lived without. But my education on what they are and how to effectively deal with them has allowed me to take proactive steps for prevention. Unfortunately rather extensive mite damage around the lower half of the plant took place before I knew that flat mites even existed, but this has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. As with the retusa, I believe the micromeris responded to its attack (possibly more than once) by growing pups in odd places. Another case of sweet revenge perhaps?

My other oddities feature 2 fascinating cacti that are almost impossible to find as grown plants from US nurseries. Of course I had to take up the challenge, and it was answered by a couple of our forum members. I'll show you my first offering which came from TimN in Cave Creek, AZ. Tim fell off the forum's radar screen in January, but I was lucky enough to catch him as he was thinning out his collection last year. Part of the thinning included several examples of a rare species he put up on auction through eBay. A 4-headed selection was the one I just had to go for, and my first experience with eBay auctions ended up to be a great one. After I won the auction, here's what arrived on 4/10/13:

My first-ever Pelecyphora in its new home 3 days later:

Although I didn't think to ask about how long Tim had the plant before he sold it, he did say that it took 3 years for the strobiliformis to start growing for him. Didn't do much in its first year on my plant bench, but there was no reason to expect otherwise. After all, Pelecyphoras are very slow growers! But lo and behold, the plant started growing in June -- way ahead of Tim's curve. Here are the subadult heads with about 3 months of new growth going from 6/28 to the end of summer:

Same timeframe showing the juvenile heads:

All things considered, it's pretty impressive to see how far along the strobiliformis has progressed -- this top view before-and after going from 3/16 to 9/21:

The only thing I'm a little disappointed about is the amount of corking I see on the bigger subadult head compared to what it looked like when I got the plant. Should I be? Maybe not, since it's possible that the strobiliformis wasn't happy about the way it was being grown by someone else. While this theory isn't original thinking on my part, I believe Ian put my mind on an interesting track here. If I'm correct, the plant is letting the older growth cork more quickly to concentrate its nutrient energy on making way for healthier new growth. While it'll take a few years to know whether or not I've pegged my assessment of the situation, I'd say that the preliminary results are kinda promising.

And now, my friends, I'll close out the End-of-Summer review with the last oddity I have for your consideration -- another 4-headed cactus, and a perfect companion for my strobiliformis:

For those of you who don't know the species, that would be P. aselliformis. I was very fortunate to get the 411 from C and D Plants when a few specimens were available for sale not long after I scored on Tim's eBay auction. The pic you've just seen is the only time when I put together side-by-side photos of a cactus with bare-nekked roots followed by its repot. So there it was on 5/20/13 -- a tiny gem in its 2" pot. I'm not a fan of crested plants in general, but it was incredibly easy to make the exception here. Perhaps the rarest of the rare, and Craig sent an unusually pleasant surprise when he selected this aselliformis for me. Par for the course among my slow growers -- a season for the roots to establish before we can expect signs of new activity on the growing point. Although the following photos will test your powers of observation, you'll pass the test if you see that my aselliformis is indeed growing. Here on 4/5 and 9/20:

Both Pelecyphoras started coming alive on top at the same time -- this "before" is from 6/15:

Because Pelecyphoras are so difficult to find here in the US, some growers would jump at the chance to chop off the heads for rooting propagation. However, I'm not one of them, so unless either of these plants are in trouble and need to be saved, I prefer to keep them intact. For that matter, I'll say the same regarding my cacti with the pups in strange places, and I'll continue to enjoy all these wonderful oddities growing however they want.

My End-of-Summer review may be over, but the 2014 growing season certainly isn't. Well, not yet anyway -- such being the case, I'll post a follow-up entry with pics that'll show y'all what some of my cacti were up to in October. There may be more beyond that too, so stay tuned for additional fun in this thread!
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Good morning Steve,

a wonderful thread.
Very interesting and informative. A lot of work, but the result justifies the effort! Many thanks!

Best wishes

K.W.

And BTW very beautiful plants.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
luigonz

Post by luigonz »

GREAT IMAGES! I love the post winter dormancy images vs the post summer growth comparisons!
This is my first winter with a lot of new species and I am afraid of NOT WATERING some of them... and allowing them to look 'sulky'
'The skeletons of the plants are for me as important as the flowers.'
instagram: @oakbeard
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Thanks for your nice responses Robb, K.W., and luigonz! I'm glad to share whatever I can offer here, and the progress I see is definitely worth putting up these photo essays. I think the growing season is just about over, but we're catching the end of it -- look out for another entry with new photos this weekend!
Steve Johnson

Fall update

Post by Steve Johnson »

I'm coming to the end of my best growing season ever, so now would be a good time to celebrate some fall activities on the plant bench in words and pictures. We'll begin this post with the state of affairs on October 25, 2014 as the following cacti still have their growing hats on...

Geohintonia mexicana.

Frailea castanea -- I decided to forgo the "wet look" when I shot this pic. Although it's not exactly photogenic, the castanea's active growing point really stands out against all that dusty skin:

Pelecyphora aselliformis -- speaking of skin, the largest normal head is showing more of it than I've seen before:

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus -- the resemblance to P. aselliformis is remarkable. With the unusual and attractive spination of both species, it's no wonder that I had to go on the hunt for pseudopectinatus. Thanks, Planta Seca! :)

Next, a couple of Gymnocalyciums showing robust new spine formation -- ochoterenae vatteri...

...and stenopleurum:

Remember that Coryphantha retusa you just saw? Yep, as I said -- where there was one, now there are two:

Same deal with my Epithelantha micromeris:

Now let's rewind with a close-up going from 9/20 to a month later:

We'll zoom in even closer for a side view of pup #1 on 10/25:

Copiapoas do most of their growing in spring and fall, so an excellent demonstration of this behavior can be found with the 2 pups I kept after the C. hypogaea I got from the California Cactus Center in 2011 fell to rot last summer. Progress with survivor #1 has been pretty impressive as the plant gets to work starting on its own brood of pups. Because the parent hypogaea was being grown under stronger light on my old bench, we can see the transitional changes from older to newer growth as the survivor has become the new parent here in Shady Glen. On March 16, then 5 months later:

Per normal growth patterns for the genus, the hypogaea didn't do much during summer. We'll turn the "after" into a "before", and on the right -- this is the look of fall growth at the end of a nice, hot October:

From the top:

A concern I have with Copiapoas is their tendency to scorch if they're subjected to full sun when the heat suddenly spikes. That concern is not unfounded, since the original hypogaea got hit with sunscorch a few times in 2012. The positioning of my Copiapoas in Shady Glen was intended to address the problem. Could too much shade over the growing season veer into a different one? Apparently not, and IMO the quality of new growth on survivor #1 is superior to the older growth represented by the original plant before it died. (Truth be told, perhaps hypogaea could use more sun for a squatter look. However, in the interest of avoiding sunscorch, the compromise I'm making here is quite acceptable!) While we're on the subject, I don't want to forget about survivor #2 -- it was a singleton until the October heat brought out a brand-new pup:

In Part 4 I briefly mentioned my dilemma about whether I should keep duplicate species or make room on the current bench for something else. Not an easy decision to make, although survivor #1 is doing so well that I'll probably give up #2 to someone who'd enjoy having it in his or her collection. Shouldn't be any trouble finding a local grower who can provide a good home for the plant.

Our rainy season started earlier than usual when a nice and well-timed amount of rainfall over Halloween night helped to extend the fall growing phase as my cacti ease into dormancy. We'll conclude this 2014 Member Topics thread with...

After the rain

I took the following pics today, so we're here to assess the results of an opportunity I rarely have -- cacti in growth after they get drenched the natural way!

First up, 5 Mammillarias. While the rain can't be credited for spectacular changes with these 3, they obviously enjoyed it -- spinossissima...

...huitzilopochtli...

...and perezdelarosae:

My Mamm hernandezii is definitely in a flowering mood:

Could the downpour over Halloween night be responsible for all these buds? Maybe just a coincidence, although I'm seeing more than I did last fall. Of course I had to miss the hernandezii's first 2 flowers of the year, but we have plenty of chances to catch the plant's blooming on camera. (Looks like one may pop tomorrow.) If and when I do, I'll post up some photos for you on the General forum.

If you want to see a spectacular change, I'll give you one featuring my beautiful, madly offsetting Mamm deherdtiana. It benefited the most from our late-season rain, with new pups that began to appear only a few days later when the heat came back during the first week of November:

Given its relative scarcity among US collections, I know the species better than most hobbyist cactus growers. Such being the case, I totally understand if you can't pick up on these brand-new pups in the above photo. Here's a closer look as I point 3 of them out:

I think there are 2 or 3 others in there, but nothing that'll show up well at the moment. In the meantime -- the deherdtiana needs a bigger pot! I'll be happy to oblige when it's repotting time for a bunch of cacti that need a move from my waterproofed terracotta to glazed ceramic pots in February before the new growing season begins.

A night of rain immediately followed by early November heat brought out another brand-new pup, and one that completely surprised the heck out of me. Rebutia heliosa:

This will be part of the answer to a question I've asked myself -- has my heliosa been growing normally despite the midday shade it's been getting in Shady Glen? I'll be moving the plant over the border into Sun Valley sometime in winter, and it should be well acclimated to the change before it starts growing again in spring. If the established growth continues to look about the same, I'll know that I didn't make a boo-boo with the heliosa's placement in Shady Glen. However, if the established stems grow into an odd-looking heliosa, at least the new pup will get a good start on life for normal growth. Regardless of whatever happens, I know that my heliosa is healthy, and I'm sure we'll see its first springtime flowers.

2 other cacti that clearly appreciated the rain -- Escobaria minima:

No more water for the minima until spring returns to L.A. Howzabout my Epithelantha micromeris?

The deliberate sowing of seeds in the pot last summer led to a seedling volunteer popping up in mid-September. Here is its first appearance, followed by 2 months of growth:

Ooh, another question to ponder. Theoretically, the adult micromeris is plump enough to where it may be fine without any water at all this winter. If I decide to go there, should I let the seedling stay dry and hope for the best? That means no water until both plants get their first watering of the year in March. Not sure if the seedling would survive without at least a little something from time to time over the next 3-4 months. The idea here is to use my spray bottle (on the stream setting naturally!) and get sips of water down around the seedling. How often will depend on warm spells, although I already know how to time this with the other cacti that should get occasional winter sips. I'll have to feel my way along, but a point in my favor is the fact that I'm developing a pretty good instinct for appropriate winter care among all the charges under my care in the collection. If the seedling does survive its first winter, then A. I'll have a tough, strong little grower on my hands, and B. my newest micromeris should be ready for its own pot in about 2 years.

What a great way to end here -- my first-ever Ariocarpus flower! Even if you've already seen this on the General forum, it's worth another look. For those of you who haven't, I'll simply say that after rotting every Ario I tried to grow in my younger days, I consider it a real achievement to have an Ario fissuratus actually growing and flowering for me. To review, here's the bud on the day after L.A.'s Halloween rain, then 4 days later with the early November heat in action:

The day after that, and now it's flowering time!

Hard to believe there's a cactus under there, huh? It's what I call "umbrella cacti" -- mostly the province of younger plants, and a special occasion to cherish whenever we see them.

With only 47 days of 2014 left, I'm closing out this thread as I head over to the General forum for posting whatever items of interest come up until January kicks in. Then with the new year will come a new Member Topics thread reporting on what 2015 has in store for the denizens of my plant bench. Thanks so much for spending some time here, and I hope you'll come back to see me again in the very near future!

Cheers, my friends! :D