Gianni's stuff

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Giannissimo

Gianni's stuff

Post by Giannissimo »

Like I said in the New member forum, I'm very much a beginner with a modest collection, so please forgive me for all the stupid questions, mislabeled plants and noobish mistakes I make. I still don't have anything really exciting to share here, but I do have some plants which seem to have problems or are just new to me, so I'd like to show them.

A few days ago, I bought a couple of plants in a garden center. They were in a very dry soil, but misted at least daily, so they didn't look so happy. Encouraged by what I read here, I hurried to take them out of the pot and clean the roots in preparation for repotting. I know it's not a good part of the year for that, but I wanted to check them out thoroughly because the plants were obviously mistreated. I'm not sure how good a job did I do, since I couldn't remove all the dirt. I'm also not sure whether I should shorten the roots a bit or just leave them like they are.

Please check the pictures and advise if you can. ID is also welcome, I think I identified two plants, but not sure I got a good ID

1. Faucaria felina subs. tuberculosa

This one has some white stuff on the roots which doesn't look so good. Is this rot, or something else I should worry about?

Image Image Image

2. Espostoopsis dybowskii (or maybe Oreocereus trollii)

Image Image Image

3. No idea what this is. Looks a bit deformed, and also has one strange white spot between ribs

Image Image

4. No clue. I thought it is actually 3 plants, but it seems not.

Image Image Image

5. This is one I had for a couple of months (I posted it in ID request forum already), but now I noticed an interesting thing on it. Notice the white "fang" on the bottom side of the rightmost offset. What is it? Most bigger offset seem to have it now. There's also small pinkish wooly growth in the middle of the pic. Is that a new offset or maybe a future flower?

Thanks ahead for any help and advice, and if you want more or better images, just let me know!
Rod Smith

Re: Gianni's stuff

Post by Rod Smith »

I can't give any further ID information but I can offer some other comments.

The white on the roots of the Faucaria looks suspiciously like root mealy bug. If so, you've got a bad infestation and my suggestion would be to take the plant outside and blast it with water to remove all traces of the white substance. If you're sure it has all gone, allow the roots to dry thoroughly, then repot.

The white object between the ribs of the cactus could be a mealy bug. It doesn't look quite the right shape but it's hard to tell. In any event I don't think it belongs where it is.

The "fang" protruding from the Echinopsis/Lobivia (I think this is the correct ID) is a root. You can remove this offset and place it on some compost, where it will continue to make roots, then you'll have another plant.

Don't shorten the roots on any of your plants. They have grown the way they are because that's what the plant needs. Also if you cut roots you risk getting rot.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Giannissimo

Post by Giannissimo »

Thank you very much, Rod!

I think I managed to clean the Faucaria from all the white substance, some of it was stuck in the middle of tangled roots, so it was quite hard to clean. I'll keep it separate from other plants until it dries well and roots are healed and then I'll try repotting it.

Also removed the white spot from plant #3 with an ear bud. It went quite easily and I don't see any other spots on the plant.
Giannissimo

Post by Giannissimo »

Some new arrivals in my collection ^_^

Mammillaria bombycina

Mammillaria polythele f. inermis & Mammillaria crinita ssp. duwei

Mammillaria schiedeana

Turbinicarpus valdezianus

Echinocereus metorii

Not sure about this one, got it as Echinocereus reichenbachii ssp. perbellus, but doesn't really looke like it to me

Echinocereus rigidissimus ssp. rubispinus
Giannissimo

Post by Giannissimo »

First flowers in 2015 :)