Steve's 2014 stuff.

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Onzuka

Steve's 2014 stuff.

Post by Onzuka »

It's bit late in the year to be starting a 2014 thread, but better late than never.

Here are some pics of my Lophophora collection. I love to grow these and never get bored with them. I have over 100 now and still plant seeds every year, although not so many now as I used to.

I don't usually go in for multi-plantings, but I made an exception here. All the plants are flowering size and I've grown them all from seeds.

Here is a L. williamsii v. caespitosa, the very freely offsetting variety. I love these. This one was last repotted in 2012 and is ready again, so I did it and it looks far more comfortable in the following pic. The new pot is just over 6" in diameter (160mm)

This is my oldest and biggest williamsii. It has produced hundreds of seeds and these have been posted all over Europe and the US of A. The pot size is 5" (127mm)

Here's one that has naturally formed two heads as a seedling. It did this without any mutilating from me. Pot size is again 5"

This one developed into a three headed plant. Again, a 5" pot.

Here is a group shot of a few of my bigger plants, followed by a shot of the same plants from a lower angle. The plant in the foreground on the right is so very different from the others. I came in some seeds I traded from the US of A. Its never offset or flowered yet.

Finally, three pics showing lots of Lophos.

And really finally, a much closer shot of the Lopho that is "different" from the others.

I hope you have as much pleasure looking at them as I do in caring for them.

Steve
TexasPricklyPiglet

Re: Steve's 2014 stuff.

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

They all look so great! I would swear that I were looking at a catalog of some sort. Very nice collection. I would love to have one of my own some day. I'm just afraid. Good looking plants!
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Looking good, I am quite envious of your collection there. Hopefully I will have as many lophs in the future. Got a batch of seed germinating so im slowly on my way.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Beautifully grown and staged plants, Steve. Very well done!
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Very, very nice plants!
And the seedlings. . . =D>

That "different" one, could it be Lophophora diffusa?!

Great pleasure . . .

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Some nice looking little plants there Steve , as well as your bigger couple.

I tried again in 2013 to grow a Lophophora Williamsii. After I bought it I noticed it had little rot hole on the side. I repotted it high to keep it way from the soil surface, but it still succumbed. I then replaced it, and then the replacement died. :(

It's been like this since 1993 when I first started growing cacti. I could never keep the plant. they don't like me

I have few seedlings of L. Diffusa that Ade The Producer sent me. As with all seedlings , they are very slow and I hope they will come to something.

If I ever go back to Kent & Connoisseur's Cacti gain before the Autumn , I may hunt one down there, from John Pilbeam's nursery. Who knows , his ones might survive my unique polarity.

:-k
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great stuff Steve!!! I like how your greenhouse is organized. All your plants look clean and tidy.

Mark
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Your lophos are great, very inspiring images for those who are sowing lophos!
Bruno
wiley1983

Post by wiley1983 »

Awesome steve!!!! If you ever need to get rid of any of the seeds that you collect from those bad boys, i would lovingly grow them for you!!!!
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

Thank you everyone who has commented on my Lophophoras, it's very encouraging.

For anyone who has any doubts that a variegated Sansevieria will not come true from a leaf cutting, below is all the proof that you need. I showed the first pic sometime late last year and the second pic is how it looks now. Personally, I like the variegateds and plain green ones equally.

If I was really going all out to increase stocks of this plant, I could cut the yellow edged leaf from the root rhyzome and it would give me more offsets.

Steve