One man went to grow........2014 Diary

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
fanaticactus

Re: One man went to grow........2014 Diary

Post by fanaticactus »

Many folks have a "thing" against using a systemic containing imidacloprid since it can be a threat to bees: it is a neurotoxin to them. But used carefully (contain the runoff so that it does not seep into garden soil, and don't pour it down a drain) it is highly effective. Use it now while the roots are still functioning. Using it when the plant is preparing to go dormant in late fall doesn't work because the roots need to absorb it and send it through all the tissues. I've read here that Bayer 3-in-1 is very popular and quite widely available. It's especially good for getting the mealies that tend to hide along the soil line and in the folds of cactus ribs and in among all the spines. If the buggers are sparse and easily accessible, I use Safer's insecticidal soap after picking off as many as I can with a toothpick and isopropyl alcohol. Hope this helps.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

Thanks for the tip Fanaticactus. I have been reluctant to use any systemic insecticides for fear of creating resistance but I may decide to blitz them.

Here is a pic of 2 matucana. The one on the right is a seed grown intertexta and the one on the left is not. Lovely flowers. Not much else in flower at present.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Very nice Matucanas indeed. The one on the left has a body that could fool a lot of people (especially me!) into thinking it's a Parodia or Echinopsis, but the flower is definitely Matucana. I've never heard of too much systemic creating a resistance to it in the cactus. Quite the opposite, I read a post from one of our contributors saying he uses a systemic several times during a season and his collection is free of mealies. However, it would be interesting to hear from others with their ideas on this subject. :-k
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

My new lithops bowl - Morrisons plastic bowls, 4 for a quid. A good size and not too deep. All you need is a drill.

A nice colour combination. I think I prefer white flowers.
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

Bowl no 2 had not opened up at 35 degrees in half shade so I put it into full sun and by the time it was down to 21 degrees hey presto.

Not sure whether it was the sun or the drop in temperature which did the trick.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Beautiful display! I had such bad luck with Lithops, I'm hesitant to try again.
1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

Great lthops.
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

This time last year I bought some lovely little plants from a very helpful e-bay seller called Andy from Somerset. This year I bought some more from him. Here they are:

The smaller the better.
Wilk

Post by Wilk »

I also bought a few mesembs at my local BCSS meeting. I don't grow many mesembs so I hope I have made a good choice.

I do have one pleiospilos so I bought a friend for it. I think I posted a picture of the other one at the beginning of this thread. Very different leaves.