Eut_Int* Flowers 2014

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Eut_Int* Flowers 2014

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Yes it is much so

I've had the Chamaelobivia Weiss for several years , and it's put on a bit of size now. got it from Kent and Connoisseurs cacti. John Pilbeam and Doug Sizmur's nurseries.

Not to be confused with the white peanut var of Chamaecereus Silvestrii , that is different plant.

Chamaelobivia weiss is white. Chamae peanut goes from white to slightly yellow tinged.

As for the heliosa I have tried taking pups off that and tried to root them separate. Same as the Rebutia Canigueralii . Will have to see if many of them take properly.
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Ah yes, I DID confuse them...
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Eutow_Intermedium

News update : The Living room window sill

Flowers have been a bit slow of late , maybe just one plant, then maybe three and the next day a couple . The weather has been mild , but due to the sky being mainly obscured or even some days that are sunny and warm. Still not all plants have decided to open up their blooms fully.

I can't say that Drearism is to blame the past week or so. Some plants despite being on a South window sill , still didn't like being next to the cold glass at night , or just wer'nt getting the daytime heat that they needed. This was the case with my Thelocacti. Of which I have moved back to the Allotment Greenhouse. Since then my T. Buekii , T. Tulensis and a recently bought ( young ) T. Bicolor have developed buds.

I took the Neoporteria Paucicostata in it's custom pot , back to the Conservatory at Nash's garden in hope that it will produce flowers next season. this also goes for my Echinopsis Hybrids

Echinopsis

Oberon
Krakatoa
Daydream
Pink Diamond &
Infinity

Also hoping these will finally bloom next season , as I have had some of these two or three years now and still no blooms from any of them. Partly I blame Drearism, but also I probably should be feeding them a lot more.

I have also started to trial Acidification of our area's Hard water with a bit of of Distilled white vinegar in the water ( diluted ) and also a small amount of Sulphate of Ammonia.

I have less plants on the Living Room window sill now , as I have been moving them to the Allotment Greenhouse and Conservatory at Nash's Garden.

I did lose a bud off my largest Echinopsis Subdenudata , of which I was a bit upset about. But since then it has produced a couple more new small buds and even two new pups at the base. Dragged my air purifier out of the Dusty corner I did :mrgreen: and had the girlfriend scrub it out before I put more water in and a pinch of white Vinegar. I'm hoping this will help to add some moisture to the air and help to prevent bud drop off's .

My window sill receives bright light in the early morning and if it's a hot sunny and clear day , it can get a bit toasty and with little air circulation, this is my guess at what caused my bud to drop off . Also this happened on the newer small E. Subdenudata or ( Tufty )

I now have a bud on the bigger plant that is at least an inch and a quarter high now , so were in business , and in it's custom Sub ( mandel ) pot too . Should make for an interesting picture.

Despite the lack of flowers , plants are still growing , apart from maybe the Melo on the graft that took several tumbles , that hasn't budged. And still my Melocactus Amoenus has done no Cephalium growing or flowering this season. The reason why I know not, but it's still alive.

The big Ferocactus Stainesii is growing as is my Ferocactus Histrix. Acathocalycium Violaceum is pumped , as is my big Mammilarai Hahniana , and I have a Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii ( Yellow ) with many buds on , of which will be quite a show if they all open at the same time. It is a slightly larger plant.

I have two cuttings off the Eppythyllum that flowered earlier in the season, that pink jobbie.They appear to have taken and are starting to put some extra length on for this season which is good. The Eppythyllum that was a rescue from the late Barbara Cook's greenhouse after the aftermath of emptying her house , has after pumping up the three stems it had, produced recently four newer ones and is looking very healthy indeed after being repotted up several weeks ago. It will be interesting to see what colour blooms this plant has. Hopefully it will be a ye old vriety. Some day I would like to give a cutting this back to Linda Moon of which who was Barbara Cooks neighbour. She's already had a cutting of the Charmaecereus Silvestrii back. The original plant wasn't doing much for her, so I took it on as a rescue . Time will heal that plant.

Fingers Crossed my Gymnocalycium Quehlianum ( 20p ) rumble sale plant may have a second flush , and so too the G. Octoterenai var Scoparium .
Eutow_Intermedium

Some flowers that defied the overcast and sunny spells

Chamalobivia ( John Pilbeam )

Chamaelobivia ( echinopsis ) Rose Quartz

It's one of those easily obtained ( in ) plants

Chamalobivia var : unk

Looks similar to John Pilbeam but not quite , more red here and the plant looks slightly different with a more prolific growing habit.

Gymnocalycium Ritterianum

Finally the day has come and this flower is long lasting , goes for days getting slightly wider and paler , nice pink/violet throat and a musty/algal vinegar smell like G. Baldianum has , only more delicate

Hatiora sp. I think it is ? ( easter cactus ) This plant is the original rescue plant from Barbara Cook's greenhouse. It was so old that the waterings over the many years had left white scale all around the top of the pot . The extended amount of time unloved left it a dried out old stump. I moved it to the Conservatory at Nash's Garden and gave it some extra love , before moving it to the Living Room window sill to be with it's friends

Echinopsis Spachianus
Aloe Varieagata
and that mystery Eppyphyllum
The original plant of Charmaecereus Silvestrii is here now , along with cuttings that are in the recently found pot the Sedum Dasyphyllm was formerly in , out back in the communal. The only plant of them rescue's that is not here is the Lithops sp. That Grey Lithops is with the others in the Greenhouse over the Allotment , but I feel a family photo shoot coming on soon , a reunion even. There is also a Schlum ( christmas/thanksgiving ) cactus of the same series of rescue plants in the Kitchen . Although it was in the conservatory at Nash's Garden , it didn't kick off like all the other plants , slightly slower. The other Schlum rescue died. I also took a cutting off the Barbara Cook ( haitora ? ) easter cactus , as it had roots on. This was effectively a hexagonal pea sized basal leaf with one true leaf. Somehow it took off and produced a flower on top as well as three new leaves at the base above that pea like stem , possibly four. I have yet to get a picture of that ^_^ Weeny fella blooming.

And with a plant of Echinocereus Rigidissimus ( new in ) Yes i'm going too give it another go. Hopefully it won't go hollow in the middle like the last two I had did in the misty past.

And this picture was taken at the allotment outside the Greenhouse. The plant of Mammilaria Decipiens that I bought at IKEA ( IEAK ) last year has flowers on it.

=^-^=

Regds & Peace

Eutow_Intermedium*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Feeling your pain with the weather. Just humid and cloudy. We have had the heat and like you say plenty of growth but slow flowers. Most my lophs are only on the second flush of blooms the forth for the biggest this year. My rebutia muscula is budding well and my rouschii is budding nice too. I got 8 buds on 2 gymnos stagnating without the strong sun. Also the complete lack of rain it starting to cause me issues got no collected rain water left, that went a few days back and a lot are looking very thirsty now. On the plus side your gymno seedlings im growing are doing well. They out in the g/h and the melos that germinated their too and fattening up good now with the diffuse light and ambient heat. My ficus indica is shrivelled, aloes red but growing. The only pkants that seem to be enjoying this weather are the mexican miniatures and eriosyce, seems there is little that bothers them. Any way just talking to my butty about the weather and apparently we are getting great sun friday with average temp 22c so hopefully will get more flowers soon.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Eutow_Intermedium

Gymnocalycium Ritterianum just goes on and on . Doesn't even close up at night.

But I think from now it is beginning to fade. Oh yes and this pic includes my only Hibotan or Moon cactus. I bought a darker bodied one with pink new growth. No flowers or extra pupp growth , but the plant itself has grown .

Probably as big as the flower is going to get, before it finally fades.

This unknown Echinopsis/Chamaelobivia hyb just won't give up. Here it has another additional two flowers. This plant has done very well this season.

Slightly more open and with a late orange tint to the petals. The Barbara Cook hatiora rescue plant 2013. Surrounded with stitch bunnies

It looks like the Echinopsis Subdenudata in the Custom ( IKEA ) Sub2 mandel pot , will flower this evening/tonite. So in order to not to miss it, I think I will be taking it on the 130 bus to the Olds's flat to Sunday dinner :lol:

The attractive little Eriosyce possibly Paucicostata that I bought along with the Echinocereus Rigidissimus at Capital Gardens @ Morden Hall Park , bloomed nicely . In the early stages the flower had a nice spicy lemon scent. The one that the Girlfriend had , had no less than two flowers on.

And finally the heat got up enough to coax the Notocatus Ottonis plants into flower. I may well have one blooming in the Allotment greenhouse as I type. I dragged these two back to the gaff in order to make sure I didn't miss the flowers.

Echinopsis Subdenudata took it's time to open , this was about 11.30pm on 22nd of June, it needed a little bit of encouragement in the way of several blows. Here it is at my olds flat with other plants , sitting on their 1960's G Plan portuguese tiled Coffee table.

Back at my flat 23, 06, 2014. Walking from the olds flat to the bus stop , and the journey home. By the time I had got off the bus , the flower had half closed in the cool night. This was an in Living Room photo shoot, before the flower had warmed up and opened up wide again.

And fully open. Echinopsis Subdenudata in reflection with Mini me and a canvas by Close SLC

=^-^=

Enjoy

Eutow_Int*
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Amazing show and nice flowers!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

Very nice flowers, especially like the gymno ritterianum. I've been more fortune than you with weather in this corner of east Anglia, the worst always seem to miss us, saying that the middle of the month wasn't sunny enough and there seemed to be a backlog of buds that were waiting to open! Now we've gotten some sun again they're all starting to open, except for my echinopsis, they are terrible teases, subdenudata and a hybrid from southfields have buds just growing slowly, whilst leucantha is just growing fantastic spines and my oxygona seems to be producing buds from 20 different places but no flowers yet!
Eutow_Intermedium

Well unfortunately I lost one of the three flowers on my Echinopsis Oxygona to a paper aeroplane in a local pub :o :( [-X

After I had to go to Nash's Garden on Tuesday night to pick the plant up and take it with me, otherwise I would have missed the flowers completely.

The next day I would have been on my bike all day and then at Kent and Connoiseurs Cacti in the evening , so I wouldn't have been in the area at all. Thursday is not a Nash's Garden day and on Friday, old Barbie would have been out that day. So if I hadn't have gone to pick it up I would have missed the first three flower utterly.

The two remaining blooms opened on Thursday night / late and released lovely mild smell into the bedroom at bed time.

Here are the two flowers on my plant .

Unusual rear view

=^-^=
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Pubs, we all need a pint once-in-a-while. :lol:
Eutow_Intermedium

I agree. I do my usual once a week on a Tuesday Blues Jam. But I had to tell people repeatedly to put it down. These things are delicate.

The flowers on this plant are only just starting to droop , soon they will fade. This is another reason I love E. Oxygona . The flowers last for ages. Almost two days from opening to fading .

=^-^=
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

This morning the small Thelocactus Bicolor that I managed to find at of all places B&Q , opened up in the late morning sunshine.

I payed a visit to the Allotment Greenhouse yesterday and spied a few flowers. This one was on the verge of opening the next day. So I carted it back home with me along with a Notocactus Ottonis and a few other plants.

Such a nice flower , and more buds coming .

=^-^=
Eutow_Intermedium

A few more flowers seeing as the sun has stayed with us. It's been quite toasty the last couple of days.

:oops:

The very last flower on the Unknown var: ( rescue ) Chamaelobivia

Rebutia Kieslingii

The last three flowers on this plant. From now I will be collecting the many seeds off of this plant.

Gymnocalycium Baldianum hybrid

These G. Baldianum plants were all purchased at IKEA in pots, with clumps of around five plants. Their flowers have been very variable to say the least.

This one was more of and Redish/Pink with with a Purple iridescence .

I bought this plant slightly larger at the local GC last year and it had a few let flowers on it back then. It survive the winter which was good, but then it was quite a mild one anyway. This season in total I counted a total of 11 buds. This is just the first three blooms.

Gymnocalycium Mihanovichii

And that small Thelocactus Bicolor from B&Q

The flower a couple of days after the last set of pics. As you can see it looks a little bit different with age.

Parodia Mairanana

=^-^=

Enjoy . . . .

Eutow_Int*
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely, your parodia looks particularly nice