Eut_Int* Flowers 2014

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Eutow_Intermedium

Eut_Int* Flowers 2014

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Now that spring has finally arrived and some of the plants are finally starting to show off. Thought I would start up a thread to show the fireworks.

Turbinicapus Pseudopectinata

Mammilaria Microhelia

Turb Krainzianus and Turb Klinkerianus

Stenocactus Phyllacanthus Grandicormis

Mammilaria Backebergii Ernestiana

This one originally had four heads. One died , and I split another one off into it's own pot, as it was blooming like the other two but not continuing to grow.

Stenocactus sp.

Mammilaria Prolifera ( Multiceps ) Texana

Mammilaria Prolifera ( Multiceps ) Haitiensis

A lighter bodied , gold spined form with creamier flowers. It's the first time it's bloomed like this ( crazy )

Mammilaria Matudae

Stenocactus sp. More than likely Phyllacanthus

=^-^=

Enjoy . . . .

Eutow_Int*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
cactushobbyman

Re: Eut_Int* Flowers 2014

Post by cactushobbyman »

Nice to see so many flowers. :D
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Nice, the Stenocactus is one of my favourites. Mines gonna open up some flower soon too.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
majcka

Post by majcka »

Jonathan, this is a fine show. Image

Keep them posting. 8)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

What is the meaning of ( Multiceps )? All I can find is "kind of tapeworms" and I don't think it is that.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Ivan C wrote:What is the meaning of ( Multiceps )? All I can find is "kind of tapeworms" and I don't think it is that.
With the 'big head' maybe?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Eutow_Intermedium

I think you will find Multi means many as in many heads.

Mammilaria Multiceps syn with Mammilaria Prolifera

Prolifera meaning prolific ( lots of ) proliferous

which multiceps is basically the visual human interpretation of the plant we see in front of us that appears to have many plant heads.

When I first started growing this plant. I knew it as Mammilaria Multiceps only. Texana was added later after some research . And eventually Mammilaria Prolifera texana came later.

So if you have this plant, you can call it either name if you should choose so. M. Multiceps or Prolifera , just synonym names.

My Mammilaria Prolifera or ( multi ceps ) Haitiensis plant came later. Cant remember exactly where I got it , but i've seen it go from a 2 inch square pot to a small tub. And this year it's flowered like crazy. It's a variant form of M. Prolifera but with Golden spines and creamier flowers.
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sun May 25, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Thanks, Jonathan. Yes I do have a Mammilaria Prolifera that I got from Paul and is very similar. I am trying to narrow it down.
1825 Mammilaria Prolifera.jpg
1825 Mammilaria Prolifera.jpg (98.79 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Eutow_Intermedium

Ivan C wrote:Thanks, Jonathan. Yes I do have a Mammilaria Prolifera that I got from Paul and is very similar. I am trying to narrow it down.
1825 Mammilaria Prolifera.jpg
yes that looks very much like the lighter golden spines form M. Prolifera haitienses to me.

Thats smaller plant, will probably look much more like mine when it's old. Strange thing is i've never known it to set seed as of yet. Hopefully with all the flowers the Haitiensis has had this year , I should be inundated.

=^u^=
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

Actually I was thinking more like M. prolifera texana. The M. Prolifera haitienses appears to have a more pronounced red stripe down the flower petals. There are so many mislabeled when I search, it's hard to know.
Eutow_Intermedium

! ! !

But i've known my Red spined form to be texana for years.

Oh great , =^x^= have I got to start looking up a plant that I thought I knew for almost 20 years ?
Eutow_Intermedium

Arrived at the Greenhouse several days ago , to find it more than toasty and bright in there. And some extra flowers out.

Little jewels even

Turbinicarpus Krainzianus having another go and this time wide open

Turbinicarpus Macrochele

And that Klinkerianus that was at the bcd, behind the Krainzy

=^_^=

And it is a happy time for me. I finally have my very own collection standard Charmaecereus Silvestrii flowering in my collection.

I have always known of this plant for many years ever since I was young. From Nash House 1997/98 where I studied Horticulture to Marge Moon a private garden job I done back in 2001. But it's an old fashioned plant and could only normally be obtained from Jumble sales and older folk from their 30'yr old plus collections until recently. This plant is a cutting from the Barbara Moon Charmaecereus Silvestrii that literally fell to pieces on me last year a Linda's house. I must have got 25 to 30 cutting , pretty much all took.

I recently just gave Linda Moon a cutting off of her old neighbours original plant, much more energetic and youthful than the original plant. I swapped it for the old and tired original. So I have the mummy plant as a rescue now

Proud moment to finally have my own examples of this everybody should have one Peanut plant starting to flower.

=^_^=

Enjoy . . . .
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great show! =D>
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Eutow_Intermedium

=^_^= Thanks Arjen most appreciated. I love cacti and their flowers.

Another great moment

Remember last year I rescued and part bought plants that were left over from a Summer fete at a local Old peoples institution. I gave two to my Mother and kept two.

Well one of them has just started blooming. One of mine.

My mother used to keep these plants when I was very much younger and when I was still living in my parents flat, within the Dreaming suburb .

=^-^= So here re the pics. It's the first time I have had my own Epiphyllum's

I know not the Variety . But as you can see it is a raspberry coloured flowers, the inner petals start white and have turned the same pink with age.

Enjoy . . . .

Eutow_Int*
Eutow_Intermedium

Next to flower was the plant that I bought from IKEA Wembley ( london )

I thought this would turn out to be a Chamaelobivia hybrid or Unikum. But by the time the buds started to form, I could tell it was a Chamaecereus Silvestrii.

Was surprised that the flowers on this one are slightly more on the red side than the almost 30 year old Barbara Cook plant , that I took cuttings off.

Nether the less it's gone off like fireworks, and i'm glad to finally have my own ( common ) Chamecereus Silvestrii plants. I can see why they were so popular back in the day. The ease of flowering, taking cuttings and the trailing hanging basket habit.

=^-^=

Fantastic

Who could ever get tired of the Lemon sweet flowers on Euphorbia Obesa ? I have many of these that I have grown from seed.

You get Male and female plants. Some are both :lol:

Rebutia Buiningiana WR511
Rebutia Perplexa
Rebutia Heliosa cajasensis

Rebutia Solisioides

Unfortunately I missed most of the flowers on this plant. I did last year too , but there were even less flowers last season. Bit gutted about missing it all again. I can't be at the Allotment all the time , esp in the early/late morning. My body just won't allow me that.

Rebutia Perplexa close up.

I'm hoping to keep this plant alive this time around :lol:

Unusual for a man , I do like pink . Although I won't be overdoing it =^_~=

Rebutia Heliosa Cajasensis closeup. Hoping also to keep this one alive. This plant has branched up top, unusual for such a small plant.

=^_^=

Enjoy . . . .

Eutow_Int*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.