My Cacti 2014

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hegar

My Cacti 2014

Post by hegar »

Well, after a long pause the time is here once again to start posting pictures of my cactus plants.
Yesterday, the first cactus did flower. I did take a few images, which I will post tomorrow. I was busy, weeding one of the plantings and afterwards I did give all my cacti the first drink, made up of water and vinegar, in order to reduce the pH of the tap water.
The weed I had to get rid of is called scorpionweed (Phacelia sp.). I did not know what it was and how tall it would grow at first, so I left the plants in place. Then they started to flower - not too ugly blossoms - and the bees really liked visiting them. I felt bad about pulling most of them out and depriving the bees of nectar. It was easy to yank them out of the ground (taproot), but the stems and leaves were sticky and had a funny smell. I did leave a few plants, so I can harvest some seed and plant it somewhere else, where it will not cover up the cacti.
Here are a few before and after pictures.
Attachments
Cacti 2014 001.jpg
Cacti 2014 001.jpg (290.82 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Cacti 2014 002.jpg
Cacti 2014 002.jpg (308.29 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
Cacti 2014 013.jpg
Cacti 2014 013.jpg (286.24 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
CactusFanDan

Re: My Cacti 2014

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looking good! :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
hegar

Post by hegar »

Here are images of the first cactus to go into bloom. Our local cactus club members call this plant "Early Bloomer". Its scientific name is Echinomastus intertextus. I do love the pink pistil. While my plant flowered just last Saturday, during a field trip to the west side of the Franklin Mountains, which divide our city, I saw a plant in the wild that was already blooming on February 22nd.
I live on the east side of town and everything seems to happen about one month later than for the folks on the west side.
OK, here are the first pictures of one of my cacti in the flowering mode. I only have one of these plants, which are native here.
The cactus has five flower buds, but two of them still have not opened up. So it looks, like three flowers open together will be as good as it goes.

Harald
Attachments
E_intertextus1.jpg
E_intertextus1.jpg (275.42 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
E_intertextus2.jpg
E_intertextus2.jpg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
E_intertextus3.jpg
E_intertextus3.jpg (237.82 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
SDR

Post by SDR »

Beautiful! Thanks!
Constantly amazed,
Stephen
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you, Dan and Stephen for your short, but nice comments. It makes me happy to know, that some forum members do enjoy looking at the digital images of my plants.
This evening - when I returned home from work - I was surprised to see yet another cactus blossom. It was the first flower on one of my claret cup cacti. The scientific name for this plant is Echinocereus coccineus. Unusual about this species is, that the blossom will stay open day and night for most likely a week or more. Most of the plants in my collection will only flower one or two days and if the light conditions are not good enough the blossom does not even fully open,. That is rarely the case though, because we generally do have very bright sunlight and very few days of rain per year.
Image 1d was taken just a few minutes ago at 21:18 h and I needed to use the flashlight to allow the camera to focus!

Harald
Attachments
E_coccineus1a.jpg
E_coccineus1a.jpg (310.96 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
E_coccineus1b.jpg
E_coccineus1b.jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
E_coccineus1c.jpg
E_coccineus1c.jpg (275.3 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
E_coccineus1d.jpg
E_coccineus1d.jpg (228.74 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
keith

Post by keith »

Great outdoor cactus beds !! Echinomastus intertextus never been able to keep it alive more than a year or 2 - California and Phoenix the roots die
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you for your kind comments, Keith. I too do have a hard time keeping Echinomastus intertextus plants alive. I did have a nice specimen a few years back and it too had five blossoms - all open on the same day. The next year the plant died! I was told, that E. intertextus should not be planted too deeply. So I went ahead and planted the cactus, which was one that had been salvaged ("rescued") locally, because a school was going to be built where it used to grow, by just having the base touch the soil and then mounting pebbles around it, in order to stabilize it and keep it from falling over. It did look terrible for quite some time and I thought, that it was going to cactus heaven. Then, to my great surprise, it sprung to live and flowered last year and this year too.
My cactus club members do tell me, that this species is short lived for them too.

Well, when I arrived from work, shortly after 6:30 p.m. I found one blossom open on a plant that most likely originated in the Orogrande, NM area. It is a naturally occurring hybrid. The parentage probably is E. coccineus x E. dasyacanthus. I shall try to once again go on the yearly Orogrande field trip and will post images once again.
The blossom on this specific plant is a little bit smaller than what is present on the claret cup that flowered yesterday.

Harald
Attachments
E_coccin hybrid1a.jpg
E_coccin hybrid1a.jpg (321.34 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
E_coccin hybrid1b.jpg
E_coccin hybrid1b.jpg (262.44 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Your plants look great Harald! I also have some of those weeds growing around here. I just left them for the bugs.

Mark
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mark,
thank you for your comment. I really do appreciate it.
Because there were no new blossoms to photograph, I went ahead and took a few pictures of the two Echinocereus coccineus plants that are in flower. As you can see, the possibly "purebred" E. coccineus added one more flower, while the hybrid version added six of them and is still not finished. Because I do have more E. coccineus plants, there will be additional images, especially, if I either have unusual flower colors to show or because of the number of blossoms.
Well, here are the photos I shot today. The last two were taken of the E. coccineus hybrid about 7:10 p.m. and do not have the bright sun on them.

Harald
Attachments
E_coccineus2a.jpg
E_coccineus2a.jpg (317.87 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
E_coccineus2b.jpg
E_coccineus2b.jpg (271.94 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
E_cocc_hybrid2a.jpg
E_cocc_hybrid2a.jpg (315.68 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
E_cocc_hybrid2b.jpg
E_cocc_hybrid2b.jpg (314.74 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
E_cocc_hybrid2c.jpg
E_cocc_hybrid2c.jpg (311.16 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
E_cocc_hybrid2d.jpg
E_cocc_hybrid2d.jpg (304.82 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Before I go and do a few things that need to be done I want to place two images on this site. They do show a flowering Escobaria tuberculosa, if I am not mistaken. The blossom is not a very pretty one, but as far as I can tell, the plant may flower again in August.

Harald
Attachments
Esc_tubercol1a.jpg
Esc_tubercol1a.jpg (246.75 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Esc_tubercol1b.jpg
Esc_tubercol1b.jpg (187.4 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Really nice, Harald! My outdoor cacti show its first buds but it takes some weeks more till they flower.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

lovely flowers harald!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hegar

Post by hegar »

Thank you very much for your kind comments, Ralf and Arjen. This year is a little different from the preceding ones. Some plants flower profusely, others less than usual and yet others not at all or for the first time.
Today I found several genera/species in bloom. Here are the images I took of them:
1. Ancistrocactus (Glandulicactus) uncinatus, the cat claw cactus, doing better than ever before.
2. Escobaria sneedii ssp. leei, a small cactus with character.
3. The native "brother" of the last cactus Escobaria tuberculosa (corn cob cactus), flowering the second or third time this year.
4. A hybrid plant of the "claret cup" Echinocereus x roetteri with a pink flower and
5. Last, but not least, the gorgeous Arizona rainbow, Echinocereus pectinatus. Unfortunatley only four blossoms on one plant, but those flowers are huge and nicely colored.
I am also showing a prickly pear cactus that is going to flower, but it is still holding on to the fruit it produced last year. I have no idea, what the species of this plant is. It is a low-growing plant and the flowers are yellow; a typical Opuntia.

Harald
Attachments
Ancistrocact_uncinatus1.jpg
Ancistrocact_uncinatus1.jpg (284.39 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Ancistrocact_uncinatus2.jpg
Ancistrocact_uncinatus2.jpg (260.74 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Esc_sneedii ssp leei1.jpg
Esc_sneedii ssp leei1.jpg (249.93 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Esc_sneedii ssp leei2.jpg
Esc_sneedii ssp leei2.jpg (230.62 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Escob_tubercul1.jpg
Escob_tubercul1.jpg (242.01 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Escob_tubercul2.jpg
Escob_tubercul2.jpg (228.3 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
E_x roetteri1.jpg
E_x roetteri1.jpg (290.37 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
E_xroetteri2.jpg
E_xroetteri2.jpg (236.58 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
E_pectinat1.jpg
E_pectinat1.jpg (275.32 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
E_pectinat2.jpg
E_pectinat2.jpg (276.6 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
E_pectinat3.jpg
E_pectinat3.jpg (255.67 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
unknown Opuntia.jpg
unknown Opuntia.jpg (274.26 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
hegar

Post by hegar »

Well, yesterday and today a few additional plants went into bloom. Yesterday, the first prickly pear cacti, Opuntia rufida and Opuntia violacea, both very floriferous species had their first blossoms. I shall post additional images, once they are covered with blooms.
Today, I noticed, that the "New Mexico Rainbow Cactus", Echinocereus viridiflorus var. chloranthus had a few open flowers. Also, an additional hybrid claret cup (Echinocereus coccineus var. rosei hybrid flowered for the first time.
Two very pretty cacti also had their first blossom open. Those are the "Texas Rainbow Cactus" (Echinocereus dasyacanthus), with its huge yellow/white blossoms with green throats, and the Fendler's Hedgehog (Echinocereus fendleri), which prodces a large blossom with a very deep pink, almost burgundy or light purple flower. Here they are now:

Harald
Attachments
O_rufida1.jpg
O_rufida1.jpg (247.18 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
O_rufida2.jpg
O_rufida2.jpg (221.89 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
O_viola1.jpg
O_viola1.jpg (284.5 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
O_viola2.jpg
O_viola2.jpg (247.6 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_vir_chlor1.jpg
E_vir_chlor1.jpg (329.8 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_cocccin_hybrid.jpg
E_cocccin_hybrid.jpg (227.29 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_dasy1.jpg
E_dasy1.jpg (284.64 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_dasy2.jpg
E_dasy2.jpg (257.64 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_fendleri1.jpg
E_fendleri1.jpg (311.04 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_fendleri2.jpg
E_fendleri2.jpg (286.62 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
E_fendleri3.jpg
E_fendleri3.jpg (273.55 KiB) Viewed 3263 times
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

wow, great show harald! I especially love the echinocereus flowers
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)