Dogwood Cacti: 2014

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
DWDogwood

Dogwood Cacti: 2014

Post by DWDogwood »

Please to enjoy this fine Pachycereus pringlei photo from my backyard while this page is being constructed.
Happy New Year

Also my herd of Pierrebraunia bahiensis with their Holiday Flower Bling!

Taken just today, Ferocactus latispinus grown from seed 1990 aka F. spiralis

This one never gets old! Does the same trick every year. Cigar smoking xpachgerocereus orcuttii

Finally for tonight, one I thought I'd never see again after loosing mine years ago.
Espostoa utcabambensis, a rare little stow-away put on a slow boat from the UK after much seeking.
It's actually the same species as Joel Lode's "E. calva" pictured in the CactiGuide ID section. Long story.
Last edited by DWDogwood on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sabotenmen

Re: Dogwood Cacti: 2014

Post by sabotenmen »

Awesome Pringlei. I have one, too, but yours is ten times bigger.Impressive and rewarding species. The Ferocactus looks great, but I wouldn’t look forward to repot it!
BRC

Post by BRC »

I must say that the spines on ferrocactus never cease to amaze me, they look so vicious!!

If i was a Bond villain instead of using silly and expensive stuff like sharks with laser beams or something to dispose of my enemies i would instead make them re pot several hundreds of ferrocactus, seems a far worse fate than facing sharks!!
We sailed through endless skies
Stars shine like eyes
The black night sighs
The moon in silver trees
Falls down in tears

Light of the night
The earth, a purple blaze
Of sapphire haze in orbital ways...
K.W.

Post by K.W. »

Very nice rare plants!
I especially like the Pierrebraunia bahiensis - and there flowers (and the Astrophytum behind them).

Thank's for show!

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice plants, flowers and even seed pods! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

How big is it(Fero Latispinus)? I like its spines 8). Thanks for sharing

Regards,
Hendry
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Awesome plants as usual!!
Jealous of your Pierrebraunia blooms...both mine are doing quite nicely, but have yet to bloom!

And, congrats on the Espostoa!!
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Loved the pictures, F. latispinus looks like it's on fire with those great spines and your xpachgerocereus orcuttii picture looks quite funny.
Bruno
Tony

Post by Tony »

Congrats on the Pierrebraunia blooms and the new find! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Thanks for the chorus of comments. Glad the pictures could be of interest.
The Ferocactus is 12 inches tall, and yes scary to handle! I told him people seemed impressed with him and he got kind of cocky.
Another batch of cacti enjoying the warm "winter" sunshine:

Uebelmannia pectinifera v horridispina, and rightly named!

Speaking of Uebies, I am still not convinced that Rudy Krajča's U. pectinifera v eriocactoides is much more than a U. flavispina.
The small RK in flower next to a large U. flav for comparison. The flowers of each are a match, and differ from pectinifera in size and petal shape.
Still a ball of goodness, regardless the ID.

Also currently in bloom are the Neoporterias. Oddly they all have the same pink flower type, but very widely in other characteristics.
3 of my favorites:

The common N. gerocephala (MG 1031.1 seed lot produced such variety of seedlings, they must be generations of hybrid x: here I thinned out for the most fetching of these!)

I really love these N. clavata, also MG seed

I don't know what these will look like in a few years as they are slower and smaller bodied, but I hope the remain purple with erect whispy gold spines.
N. laniceps also MG

Finally, a couple of mornings ago I captured this stand of Neodawsonia apicicephalium aglow in the morning light. They are grafted clones of 2 seedings I coaxed out of 300 seeds. For a Cephalocereus, they are very soft skinned, and the spines detach with the slightest knock. Apparently the collector risked life and limb to go fetch some seeds in a hellish Mexican canyon, and with little demand, makes it kind of rare in collections. They probably don't flower in cultivation.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

DWDogwood wrote:Speaking of Uebies, I am still not convinced that Rudy Krajča's U. pectinifera v eriocactoides is much more than a U. flavispina.
The small RK in flower next to a large U. flav for comparison. The flowers of each are a match, and differ from pectinifera in size and petal shape.
Still a ball of goodness, regardless the ID.
U. pectinifera v. eriocactoides eventually grows out of the yellow spination, from what I've heard, and just ends up looking like a standard pectinifera. Those are great plants. :)

In fact all of your plants are fantastic! Well grown and beautiful. =D>
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Dennis - what is that wonderfully-spined cactus partially exposed in the lower left of the photo of your Pierrebraunia horde?
Looks like a stunner!
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Hey Dennis,

Does xPachgerocereus orcuttii root well from cuttings?

We have one about 5 feet tall, and we're running out of vertical space. I was thinking about hacking it back....

Also, regarding this plant, does it breed true? I germinated a bunch of seed from it, and am wondering if they're going to be like their mum...
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Tristan that dynamite plant of which you inquire is one of my Cochemia halei. I rooted up several cuttings from one of my two big ones and also had one self set, which was the only time I ever had luck with seeds of this species. I'll post pics in the next entry.

Barry, I haven't tried branch rooting this one. After I took it out of the greenhouse and let it live outside it hasn't done much growing. The seeds are self set and right as rain. Does yours self as well? Must be a thing with that species.
But I'll assume most any columnar will root up as long as it's not woody and too long in the tooth.
I do like to chop lanky columnars down to get fresh arms. Give it a whirl.
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

It's been a while. Lots of blooming and new growth, fun times whenever I can do about an hour a day in the greenhouses with this extra daylight.
Rarely are flowers a consideration when I grow a cactus, it's all about form and spines. But along the way there are the bonuses of reproduction.
To wit: A bevy of Sclerocactus and Pediocactus, all grafted, thank you very much, and thus un-killable. Most rewarding!

Others, like Lobivia pampana, Uebelmannia buiningii, Echinocactus weinbgerii, Copiapoa atacamensis, Ericyce senilis and Denmoza rhodacantha