Snowcat's dark window cacti collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Snowcat

Re: Snowcat's dark window cacti collection

Post by Snowcat »

Some updates...

I recently have got some newcomers... First of all - a Loph. Said to be 3 years old...

Next - two Gymnocalicim Damsii. They were sold as one plant and were growing so close to each other that they even pulled themselves our of their pot! One of them has 3 buds... I separated them, washed them of peat, dried them and potted them as neighbors. Looks good, don't you think?

The next is an Aylostera muscula... It has nice roots, but unfortunately it had a rotting near the root.

So I had to skin its base (peat was very attached to it's gentle spikes so the only way to remove it was to remove them as well) and tried to make a surgery. It looked good and fresh inside but now after a week on the air the hole looks brown. The surface is hard here inside. I am not sure that it will not start rotting again as it will get into the soil :( Any thoughts about it?

And my today's free cactus... I went in a flower shop and found it lying on the floor in the cactus area without a pot, just in the piece of peat. I asked about it and was told that I can take it if I like, because it will not sell anyway. It had three root offsprings - one completely dry and dead, and two barely alive that were looking really bad. I came home and removed the peat from the roots... and roots just fell apart into the dust. I cant even imagine how long this poor cactus was without any water. I've cutted all the dry roots and this is what it looks like now...

I've cut the offsprings and threw them away. The cactus itself looks quite good. Gymnocalycium of some kind...
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Very nice new additions! That Gymo looks like it's going t be fine, it's in your care now! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Thanks, gemhunter!

Actually this one appeared to be Notocactus arachnites/Parodia werneri, not a gymnocalycium. It has a new pot now.

And here are Melocacti after repotting - Curvispinus (left one) and Matanzanus (right one).

And two tiny rootless additions. Mamillaria Elongata on the right and I-dont-know-what on the left.

Now I MUST stop acquiring new cacti. I... MUST... STOP... ! :D
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

Your curvispinus is impressive. I'm on the lookout for a specimen like that. About stopping buying cacti again and again; give away all your money to charity. That's the only thing you can do to stop buying more plants. Even running out of space for new cacti will not stop the real cactilover of acquiring new plants, it's an addiction. But a nice one :D
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

I cannot give away all my money on anything, because I have a family and they will bw strongly against it i think. So... I guess there is no real choice but to... BUY MORE! :) And there are like a hundred seedlings growing in a small box... They will need A LOT of space when I'll pot them separately, so I already ran out of free space taking that in attention.
CactIda

Post by CactIda »

Snowcat wrote:I cannot give away all my money on anything, because I have a family and they will bw strongly against it i think. So... I guess there is no real choice but to... BUY MORE! :) And there are like a hundred seedlings growing in a small box... They will need A LOT of space when I'll pot them separately, so I already ran out of free space taking that in attention.
Haha I like the way you think :lol:

Also, I love your colourful pots! :D
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

CactIda, ~20 years ago (I was in high school) such thoughts led me to owning a large collection... But it was all eaten by red mites >< I hope this time I'll win the battle. Back then I've had only some basic means of protections, now I can get everything in a shop or ebay...

About pots... Well, I think that dull rows of brown square pots are too dull to use even if they take the least square size :) So I am trying to by pots of different colors...
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

I just visited a Moscow Cactus Lover's Club exhibition. Some pictures here -

Everything else is here - http://www.alphatraveller.org/gallery/i ... ategory/53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sell some of the cacti there and... um... yes, I could not resist and bought a couple of small new melos. M. Ernestii and M. Conoideus. Of course they are tiny and have no ceph yet, but still look pretty :) I have no their pictures yet...
CactIda

Post by CactIda »

Oh gosh! What beautiful cacti! It must have been heavenly to be at that exhibition! :D

You should show us some pictures of the new cacti you got there! ;)
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

Ok here are pictures of my latest collections updates :)

Melocactus Ernestii (Longispinus)

Melocactus Conoideus

and some Echinofossilocacts

And my Matanzanus suddenly gave me ONE tiny flower! Npw THAT is a surprise! Look at this! The flower is tiny and is closed for night but I fear that tomorrow it might be gone so I took a picture. If it blooms more then one days, tomorrow I'll take another.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice Melocacti you have there....and a nice Stenocactus/Echinofossilocactus! :D
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

That melocactus gave me another 2 flowers :) I guess he just don't realize that it's time to be dormant for him :) More pictures...

One of the flowers

The flowers are open only for one evening. Few hours pass and they close...
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

Fantastic Melos, both of them. You've bought some nice specimen. They look very healthy. If I see some Melos like that here, they're mine. It's good to see you're giving this fascinating, but difficult genus a try.Keep them warm ,Snowcat :)
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

My Matanzaus is flowering big time. Already seven flowers! I hope this means he likes the conditions... Well i know it is November and not time to bloom, but seems like he does not know it :)
Too bad the flowers are only opened for one evening and I cannot see them all simultaneously.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

You really are starting to get in some nice plants no !

I hope you have the room XD

Liking the Melo's. Hopefully that bigger one thats flowering will give you some seeds.

I like Echinofossulocactus too. I have always seems to have had better luck keeping them in Terracotta pots oddly ( Steno's )