my collection so far....

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
KittieKAT

Re: my collection so far....

Post by KittieKAT »

The loph on the 2pg of ur post with the pink flower, is that a Var, and if so what's it called?
I myself have been trying to find a loph decipiens, but it's really really hard to find US sellers
I only have a loph Williamsii at the moment that a friend is giving me, it's been a very hard, long and expensive search for these plant's
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I think it is variegated just got lucky and came across it in a garden centre they are quite common over here. I have been struggling to find a decipiens too and have my eye on a fricii and an alberto-vojtechii too but these are a little less commonly found in the uk then I will a full set of lophophora. I upload a picture of them all in a bit.

The green box are my diffusa's.
The yellow is a Jourdaniana
the red is my two caespitosa
the rest are just plane williamsii although the two in the larger pots are from the Huizache region so should start offsetting in the next year or so.
Attachments
20141106_092835.jpg
20141106_092835.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

My turbinocarpus lophophoroides refuses to accept the summer is over and pushed this out over the last couple of days. I expect the next sunny dsy we get will open it.
Attachments
20141105_153842.jpg
20141105_153842.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

KittieKAT wrote:The loph on the 2pg of ur post with the pink flower, is that a Var, and if so what's it called?
I myself have been trying to find a loph decipiens, but it's really really hard to find US sellers
I only have a loph Williamsii at the moment that a friend is giving me, it's been a very hard, long and expensive search for these plant's
Mesa Garden sells seeds: http://www.mesagarden.com/c2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I am sure you can find some cheaper sources for this species. Definitely in Europe.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah there are plenty of suppliers for seeds but would like some mature specimens too if I can find them for the right price. No rush at the moment had quite a few new cacti this yeah so can wait until my birthday in january when will have some spare cash.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Absolutely beautiful, I'm completely jealous, yea seeds are pretty easy to find but usually the best priced seeds and plants aren't US shippers :( hopefully I'll find someone whose growing seedlings of any type of loph and would like to give one or two a new home, but it'll prob take a long while since not to many people in the US grow them, that i kno of. They are beautiful plant's it's really a shame there's really no US sellers :( well a girl can dream and be hopeful!

And if u do come across a loph. Decipiens you better grab me one too!! And I'll pay u for it :P
As much as i would like the whole complete collection of lophs, I'll have to get what i can find, but my jealousy that you are nearly complete in your collection is making me now loph crazy!! Lol

Beautiful, just Beautiful......and jealous as hell!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

You will have difficulty getting hold of them in the US they are classed as a schedule 1 narcotic only the native american church and a few botanical groups are licensed to cultivate them. Sad really considering they are mostly grown for their aesthetic qualities by most cactus enthusiasts. If you get hold of them dont broadcast it on the internet for your own safety. It is very sad in this day and age of supposed equality that getting high for religious reasons is ok but a personal choice to get high is bad even though it is a personal choice what religion you chose. Gotta love government logic.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I could care less about getting high, the plant's should be loved and grown for there beauty, i think it's stupid that there are drug dealers all over the world with drugs that are horrible and they tell people they can't have a cactus species because some idiots want to get messed up, thankfully i think they wouldn't kno a loph from Matucana in most cities in towns and I'm not really a show off, i would hope the people on this site care more about the plant's being enjoyed by plant enthusiasts (like myself) instead of saying they have a drug growing in there home or greenhouse. It's sad...makes me sad that I'll never get to enjoy watching many of the species you have because the law and the government would rather us rott in prison then do something harmless and productive with our time, that doesn't hurt anyone.. as growing plant's that are beautiful and intriguing.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

It's funny that they don't think of the San Pedro cactus to be illegal in some parts of the US, there is plenty of sites that sell those without restrictions..
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

And thanks for the seed lost from mesa aiko
I was thinking about that ut didn't kno if they sell too the US
And like adetheproducer i myself would like some seedlings or mature plants of
My own, but its a big "We'll see"
some people don't mind to sell to US as a plant and will refuse anyone they think isn't using them as anything else
That could be illegal, but they are a very very very small group of private/personal growers
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

KittieKAT wrote:And thanks for the seed lost from mesa aiko
I was thinking about that ut didn't kno if they sell too the US
Mesa Garden is located in the US, so would be strange if they would not ship plants or seeds within its own borders.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

You never kno, I've dealt with some weird sites and people lol!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

By The way anyone kno how much seeds even come in a packet at mesa gardens?
Cause the options for lophs just say packet except for the diffusa? ?
luigonz

Post by luigonz »

KittieKAT I believe the * by the name means they come with 10 seeds per package...although I have yet to order anything from MG.

question for adetheproducer, Do you leave the light on all day and night in your growbox during winter? I have some recently germinated seedlings under florescents and was wondering how long to leave the lights on. Looking to re-produce your Christmas flowering Loph :D
'The skeletons of the plants are for me as important as the flowers.'
instagram: @oakbeard
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

About 16-18 hours I got it on a timer cant remember exactly but around there somewhere.

I had no intensions to make it flower but it got far too cold out side in the flimsy plastic green house I had, it went down to minus 13°c in the day god knows how low in the night so they had to come in and that was the only space I had so in the light box it went. They are not coming in this year.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND