my collection so far....

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
AgavaSK

Re: my collection so far....

Post by AgavaSK »

Very nice - the collection and plants! Good work! =D>
More pictures of my cacti&succulents in 2016:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 933bd488be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adetheproducer

Going square.

Post by adetheproducer »

Needed more space and managed to find a load of square pots. It's freed up about half of the middle shelf with most moved to the top shelf now and looks a lot smarter. Still need to get some more square pots though, didn't have enough little ones to finish the job.
Attachments
20160403_181425.jpg
20160403_181425.jpg (129 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
20160403_181447.jpg
20160403_181447.jpg (54.87 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
20160403_181450.jpg
20160403_181450.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
20160403_181530.jpg
20160403_181530.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Looking good! I love the Caput medusae!
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Thanks it is much better now, yeah one of the more strange looking species I can't wait for it to flower hopefully it will at the same time as the asterias and I can try crossing them.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
george76904

Post by george76904 »

That would be a pretty cool cross. I'm kind of hoping one of my astros open at the same time as my digiostigma/astrophytum caput medusae for the same purpose of course. I had some seedlings that were getting decent size, but I went on a trip and left them in the bag and by the time I got back they had either been in the bag too long or had gotten to hot. I grafted one in hopes that I could save it. There are 2 others that I still have hopes for though!
Sorry for the side track. Back to the original topic... How's the Obregonia this year? Has it flowered for you yet?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Nah its dead it was looking what I thought was dehydrated so as we had sun and no frost I watered and a week or two later it rotted away. I think I mistook it's drawn out death as needing water. I got another one a bit smaller so still have one left which is perfectly healthy the weather was weird this year with many plants waking up in January and my inexperience in managing this has killed a few plants. I think I do much better with the tuberous rooted species.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

And finally my first flower of the year, seems like the hot sun over the last few days has properly woke up the lophs. I got lots of buds poking through the fluff on quite a few of them so more pictures over the next few days if the sun sticks around. Just gutted I missed it fully open earlier in the day before I got home from work.
Attachments
20160414_180312.jpg
20160414_180312.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

For mine that have flowered it's usually day 2 that has the most impressive looking flowers. However they were also grafted so maybe this has an effect on how impressive the flower is.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I think it was on day 2 I just had not inspected the green house the day prior as we had a big thunderstorm when I got home from work. Wish I left the roof open really and give them a proper rain watering. I'm pretty sure our lovely welsh weather will allow me to do this throughout the year though.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Some flowers almost ready
Attachments
My two epithilantha micromeris
My two epithilantha micromeris
20160425_102849.jpg (115.57 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Lophophora jourdiniana
Lophophora jourdiniana
20160425_102856.jpg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Lophophora fricii to the left and another from the viesca region to the right mutiple buds on both
Lophophora fricii to the left and another from the viesca region to the right mutiple buds on both
20160425_102900.jpg (101.83 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
ortegocactus macdougallii
ortegocactus macdougallii
20160425_102905.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Echinocereus knippelianus reyesii to the centre and kruegeri above on the right again lots of buds
Echinocereus knippelianus reyesii to the centre and kruegeri above on the right again lots of buds
20160425_102918.jpg (130.15 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Echinocereus viridiflorus with loads of buds
Echinocereus viridiflorus with loads of buds
20160425_102952.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
Gymnocalycium mesopotamicum with 3 buds
Gymnocalycium mesopotamicum with 3 buds
20160425_103003.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

You have message :)
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
hegar

Post by hegar »

I too like your collection of cacti. Also, your decision to go with square pots was a good one. You can cram in more plants within the same area.
Even with my cactus plantings being both in the front and backyards, I am running out of space. So I decided to get rid of most of the large prickly pear cacti. I hope, that I can find someone, who will take at least some of them off my hands. I hate to throw just on the compost heap.
I have decided to grow small cacti (Ariocarpus spp., Turbinicarpus spp., etc.) in addition to my favorite Echinocereus spp. cacti. The latter group I still need, because they do produce beautiful, large blossoms.
Although I do not have any cacti indoors, I am still interested to find out, how people that grow them inside protected structures are faring. You seem to be quite proficient and your plants look nice. I also thank you for giving other cactus growers tips about the growing medium you use for your plants.

Harald
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Cheers for the compliment but I don't think I am that proficient though. I do think the little Mexicans are the way to go though, they cope well with the temperature dips we get and as you say don't take up much room.

The sun was good today and had a few flowers open.
Attachments
Lophophora fricii and fricii albiflora as I found out today and a jourdiniana.
Lophophora fricii and fricii albiflora as I found out today and a jourdiniana.
20160430_161104.jpg (114.66 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
New plant delivered yesterday
New plant delivered yesterday
20160429_184425.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
hegar

Post by hegar »

It is nice, that you can grow all those Lophophora species. Here in the U.S. I am not quite sure, if I can legally have a member of that genus in my collection. I know, that definitely L. williamsii is prohibited. Obviously, "Uncle Sam" is afraid, that the citizens here will use this plant as a drug producer. The only people, who are authorized to be in possession of the plant are Native Americans, who may use it for religious ceremonies.
I am not aware about the hallucinogenic (psychadelic) chemical mescaline being present in other members of that genus.
However, I have never seen any member of the genus Lophophora being offered for sale in this country.
Perhaps it is being traded under a name that does not cause suspicion.

Harald

P.S.: You are correct with the statement, that the "little Mexicans" are tough plants. I do have two Turbinicarpus valdezianus plants, that have survived a record cold spell. We had 72 hours of below freezing temperatures and the thermometer plunged to around 10 degrees F. All I did, I placed a plastic weed barrier sheet (with air holes) over these tiny plants and both of them survived the ordeal unhurt. After having had them in the ground for over five years, they are still only about 1 cm in diameter and also about that high above the soil level. However, I found out - when I had to move one of them this spring - that the plant extends over five centimeters into the ground.
The soil here rarely freezes and the moisture level is low. Those conditions will help the plants to survive.
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Hegar, as a collector, you'd probably be fine. I picked up an '"Ariocarpus" will. Texensis' (which is how the seeds were named from the vendor in the Netherlands) at a local cactus show, hosted by a state university, with security provided by state cops. I posted a pic of it in the Members topics forum, if you're interested.

I'm told that it's kind of a nod and a wink at shows for collectors. If you're spending $100 on other cactus and you have a Loph included, it's pretty much for sure you're not buying to eat them.