My Thelocacti =^_^= Updates . .

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

On Wednesday 24th I went to the BCSS Bromley lecture at Keston. The night saw us sit right next to John Pilbeam and the lecture was done by Paul Hoxey on Cactus Explorations in Northern Chille ( 2005/06 )

Unfortunately from the begining members attention was taken strait to the plants the lecturer had brought to sell on. And frankly they were plants like I had never seen before at a BCSS brach meeting. Apparently his reason was that he had too many and was selling plants he had extra specimens of.

The crazy thing was these were mature plants and he was knocking them all out at cheap cheap prices from £2.00 to £5.00 and I was stunned.

Kim and I completely missed the table show of Cacti , Succulents and Plant in flower , due to all the attention being on the plants for sale.

Here a is a picture of one of the slides on the night , showing a slope covered in possibly Copiapoa's , large ones.

And here are some pictures of the new plants in , and the photo's I took the day after. The majority I am suprised to say are mature Thelocactus.

Thelocactus Tulensis Guadalupe , slp

Thelocactus Matudae 7176 rayones

Thelocactus : sp . Unfortunately I lost the label to this one on the way home , so this one is now going to need an ident on the variety :( . My only mode of getting around is a bicycle , I have a carrier basket on the front of that as it is an EX Post Office bicycle. As good as it is for carrying plants , I cant cut out all the bounces and vibrations , and this resulted in the loss of this particular plants label.

Thelocactus Bicolor Bolansis SB607

A plant like this , I could only have dreamed of owning a mature plant. This cactus along with Schlerocactus Parviflorus terrifeid me back in the day , and I considered them a more expert plant and almost too good for me. But here we have it , a good sized Thelocactus Bicolor.

Matucana Haynei Hystrix

This plant had evidence of already having flowered previously as well as all the Thelocactus. In fact the Bicolor , matudae and now unknown varietied plant have at least one new flower to come. Bicolor has three buds up top. This Matucana however I think is done for this year. But still a plant this size is normaly is inaccessible to me because of price.

Mammilaria Mieheana

This was a little plant that I won on the raffle , it's one of John Pilbeam's plants. As crazy as it seems , my raffle ticket was first to come out of the tub , and Kim's was the second , the ticket after. It got very embarrasing for the secretary as consecutive numbers from certain points kept coming up :lol:

The whole selection of new plants coming in.

So at the head of my collection I now have four big Thelocactus and I find that rather unusual.

=^-^=

Enjoy . . . .

ps , if anybody knows the var of the Post it note plant , let me know. I may very well remember the name if it is mentioned anyway.
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyZ

Re: =^o^= Blown away by new plants

Post by BobbyZ »

Nice additions I love Thelocactus as they just keep on flowering, enjoy
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

Beautiful plants! :D
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
Eutow_Intermedium

I took the Tulensis and Matudae over to the Allotment greenhouse to repot them , as they were chocka inside their origional pots

The offsets on Tulensis are attacched to the main plant but have no roots of their own.

However the solitary little plant that was in the pot of T. Matudae was a seedling and I was able to pot it up on it's own. It is the same plant too. T. Matudae.

Think I will leave them two over there for the short term as the plants will need to recover from the stress of their move to larger accomodation.

Yes I would never have considered Thelocactus before , but I am very impressed despite buying them at the tail end of blooming , they still made for a good show.

=^_^=

*nods*
Eutow_Intermedium

=^_^=

Bump ! !

Of course I have a nice big T. Rinconensis and T. Hexaedrophorus to add to the other four big Thelo's now.

The T. Bicolor has gone very little this year. The T. Buekii has produced a bud , but there seems to be some abnormal growth, as last time I looked the stoma was popping out of the bud before it was fully grown.

The T. Tulensis has several buds on it, but they are so slow I do worry that they will just drop off eventually . Will have to keep my fingers crossed. Or I would if I didn't have Osteo Arthritis

=^~^=

But for now the little Bicolor on my window sill is doing well.
Eutow_Intermedium

Thelocactus Buekii has done it's stuff and I got a few good pics out of it. Always good to see that big purple flower.

I brought the T. Tulensis plant back from the allotment greenhouse , and it looks a lot happier of it's stay there , I think even the many pups around the outside have grown. It has two buds on top at the moment. I haven't seen this one flower before , so this will be very interesting.

Would be nice someday to take one of the pups off of the Thelo Tulensis and still keep it's clumping shape, this plant is on the Window sill now.

Still no buds showing on T. Matudae although it look very happy and showing new spines and possibly growth up top.

My T. Bicolor Bolansis still seems to be hibernating ?