2nd half of collection @ Allotment

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CactusFanDan

Re: 2nd half of collection @ Allotment

Post by CactusFanDan »

Nice collection. :) You seem to use a lot of shading, though. Do you really feel you need to use it?
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Ello Dan =^-^=

The loose and untidy fine net that was up on the roof of the Greenhouse , has all but fallen off by now. The wooden square sections of temporary decking of alternate from being on the floor to their current position.

We are going through a right dreary period again so not much chance of anything getting scorched right now. I dont tend to have that kind of damage on my plants. The greenhouse is unheated , so I sometimes lose plants overwinter during the rest period. Even after I stop watering them in Oct.

Some winters are colder than others , It's unlucky dip as far as my plants go. I arrive at my collection in spring and see what tragedies there have been.

At the moment I have an Astrophytum in the Greenhouse , as I said the weather is foul so I dont know if it will open up properly. Also I am very close to going on my Wales trip in the next several days. So there is a chance I may miss it.

Unless I go over there today to pick it up and bring it back to my flat. But I have noticed this season that if I do bring plants back in event of them blooming , the flowers just decide to fall off : (

Astrophytum Capricorne ( senile )

I offloaded one of my 2007 seed grown plants of Euphorbia Obesa to Raymond ( rock ) Bolton for his 70th birthday party present. it looked to be a female plant , is'nt he lucky.

I sold a selection of four plants to a friend too , to start him off with his own collection.

Also the one Thelocactus Matudae seedling that was in the same pot as the big plant I got back in June. That little one rotted.

=^~^=

Astrophytum Capricorne senile in bloom on the way to Wales ( Sept 12 2013 )

Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

I have three Echinopsis plants in the Greenhouse. Throughout the Spring and Summer they have been pupping like crazy. I have taken rooted pups off of them and potted them up on three seperate occasions.

I'm pretty sure the three of them came off of the one that is in the Conservatory at Nash's Garden. But until they flower I wont know. The plant at Nash's Garden is likely to be E. Oxygona. Because all Echinopsis that are not hybrids are ruddy Oxygona :lol:

These six plants in a cornflake cluster box are the first Six rooted pups I potted.

=^-^=

Looking pretty happy i'd say.
Eutow_Intermedium

Popped over the greenhouse over the allotment today. All is pretty much dormant now. I attempted to rehang the bubble wrap on the roof of the greenhouse of which has fallen down in past weeks due to windy weather getting in the holes in the extreme corners and what few corners of glass windows are missing.

Spent a lot of time cursing , but I managed to using Silver Elephant tape, hang up one half of the bubble wrap inside the greenhouse roof on the E side. What with failures I wasted a bit of tape , sticking itself together and wrapping itself around the scissors couple of times.

And I knocked one of the cacti out of it's pot on the floor. It's the Yellow desnse spines one with the upright growing habit, with the name I have never heard of when I had it I.D'd here. Neoramidia Guentheri I think it's something like.

I couldn't be arsed frankly to repot it after all that, as I had to go to the AGM of the AWSLG of which was on site.

And some news. When it came to presentations at the end of the AGM. My father D. Moore found out that he has won the Thorpe Memorial cup again. It's been about four years since the last time he won the silverware. But it must be the 14th time he's won it now. Along with the Presidents cup in 1992.

But when we looked at the cup it looked like somebody had grinder down the silver plate down to the metal, it looked quite unfinished, nor was his name actually on the plate as of yet.

I also noticed that the racking on the east side of my greenhouse is looking less than stable and is leaning into the greenhouse. This may have to be repaired very soon , as I do have some cacti up on the top there.
Eutow_Intermedium

Payed a visit to the Allotment greenhouse yesterday to check on my plants there.

This was after I had planted a Victoria plum tree in pretty much sodden ground. I didn't have o go down 6 inches before I hit flat water, and it just filled the hole that I had dug. Wish I hadn't had to plant a tree in such bad conditions. But I really had no choice

=^~^=

After that I slid open the door to the greenhouse and it wasn't unreasonable to say it was pretty toasty in there, and it made a welcome change to taken my Green lumberjack style checkered/tartan top off, and just sit there on the chair with the fleece on only.

I watered selected plants in there that looked to be gaping for a drink. But I am hoping not to water any more until at least March.

The only damage I have sustained being the tips of the stems of my recently bought Euphorbia Aeruinosa got knocked by the cold. Hopefully it won't sustain and more and recover. Also all my small Sanseveria cuttings have been hit. but you live and learn #-o

I was excited to take an updated photo of my oold Mammilaria Nivosa or Pringlei. I'm not sure which one it is , but I bought it in the 1990's and I thought it was M. Rhodantha at that time. It developed no less tun four heads on top last year.

And my first hint of blooms for 2 0 1 4

They are on my Turbinicarpus Pseudopectinata

Enjoy

=^-^=

Eutow_Int*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The mammillaria is very nice. I was thinking of getting a Turbin, but only thinking. :)
Snowcat

Post by Snowcat »

A very nice looking four headed mamm you have! :) And very nice surrounding gymnos around it too!
Eutow_Intermedium

Finally after all this time , spring has sprung and I have my first Greenhouse flower

=^-^=

And yes it's the Turbinicarpus Pseudopectinata.

Yes that is quite a group of G. Baldianum there. I got them from IKEA last year , four of five to a pot and split them and potted into their own accommodation

I am thinking the mamma is Nivosa, but I can't be sure. But test that damaged apex has produced quite a spectacle.
Eutow_Intermedium

And several years on. Some original rescue plants and two year old plants as a result of leaf cuttings have produced one half of an Echeveria Cuspidata Zaragozae collection. So easily propagated and I love the Glaucous blue foliage with burgundy red tips. Even before they have started blooming , the flowers already look good as unopened on an unfurling stalk. Think I might just be smitten

~*~*=^_^=*~*~

A new favourite me thinks. I know I will never be without them from now on, thats for sure.

Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

And relier today while working in my greenhouse, watering plants and repotting the odd. I noticed after the hooj jerk bumble bee had left, that I was getting regular visits by a Honey bee. The lil fella was bussing into the greenhouse and settling under the wooden shelving on a black plastic multi cell tray that had remnants of Anerley stone grit in, that had become damp from me watering my plants earlier.

Basically the bees were truing to drink water from the wet grit. So I ended up filling a flat dish with grit and topping it up with water, with a crock in the middle.

I'm pretty sure I had up to 10 visits from various of Peter Bashfords bees that had previously done the waggle dance.

Eutow_Intermedium

And those Echinopsis pups that I was potting on last year by the dozen , are coming along very nicely.

I have at least 5 Echinopsis ( barcellos ) pups going too , and they are already showing their more upright habit. I am thinking these are E. Eyresi.

The ones in the picture no doubt are the usual bog standard E. Oxygona . When somebody sais " what is this echinopsis ? " . Mosyt of the time it turns out to be E. Oxygona or E. Multiplex
Eutow_Intermedium

Plants lost to winter

Astrophytum Capricorne senile
Euphorbia Aeruginosa
All the Sanseveria's
Discocactus. I expected this outcome really.
Mammilaria Carmanae again

Mammilaria Spinosissima ( un pico ) Double headed half
The Clumped part still remains : )

One Euphorbia Obesa * frankly i'm amazed *
3 X Stetsonia Coryne
One of the four heads on my Mammilaria backebergiana Ernestii
Lophophora Williamsii. Don't even go there !

So as you can see I haven't done too bad. But then it was a mild winter.

I had to chop off the bottom of my Mytillocactus Geometrizans, because it hasn't grown at all since I bought it last year , and the base had gone a little yellow. Hopefully I can callus it and root it again for potting.

I gave my cousin Stuart the best part of my three headed clump of Notocatus Lenninghausii ( red spine form ) . That leaves me a single head.

Best Gymno Baldianum plant that I split.

Best Notocactus ( parodia ) Ottonis that I split

Chamaecereus or echinopsis

Plus a plant that I bought from IKEA a couple of weeks back, and shoved in a Mandel. Not sure what it is. Maybe an Echinopsis or Trichocereus. But it's a young fresh clump that looks like an average kind of man so to speak. Might be easier to ident as it gets a bit older.

He already has a good twin example of Cleistocactus Strausii. Every time I arrive at his house I have to run my hands up or down it. Hopefully it will produce nice red tubular flowers in a couple of years. My cousins not a well man , he needs it.

Also a small established pup of Chamaelobivia ( Gwendolen Cross )
sabotenmen

Post by sabotenmen »

Strange that your Capricorne died, Astrophytums can handle subzero temperatures. Sansevierea is indeed sensitive to low temeperatures; I had a Trifasciata in an unheated room in my house, and it died quickly in winter. I was quite surprised.
Eutow_Intermedium

Chamaelobivia . Throwback of past ancestor.

Today I managed to catch one of the flowers open my Chamaelobivia , that is supposed to be one plant but three of the earliest buds have turned out to be a possible hint of the plants genetic past.

This plant I am pretty sure is supposed to be Chamaelobivia ( Ragged Robin ) . I have had this plant for many years , and in time the original labels was lost, only for the plant not to flower again , and thus disappear into the obscurity of the remains of my collection and oldest specimens.

We'll last year , this plant was literally covered in buds and I didn't want to miss the flowers, so I took the plant from the Allotment greenhouse, back to my flat for later observation.

Only for every single flower bud to fall off. < < Gutted > >

So that was that for another year.

Well this year the plant of which obviously isn't Chamaelobivia ( greenpeace ) of what I thought it was two years ago, is indeed C. Ragged Robin , and recently I found the original label again of which is somewhat faded with the years.

The odd thing is the plants first three flower buds of which were all in close proximity , have turned out to be standard smooth buds and not Ragged at all . When they opened up I was surprised to see that the blooms were not of Ragged Robin but completely different :-k .

Is this a hint of this plants ancestral past coming through ?

The flower is a deep pink/red colour with a blue sheen to the petals

Close up of flower of which isn't quite what it should be.

Is this normal happenings , I think not ?

Regds

Eutow_Int*
Eutow_Intermedium

Gymnocalycium Pflanzii . First bud opens up for me in the greenhouse

Mammilaria Prolifer texana

one of my many plants . This is just a little one . I have never known my M. Prolifera plants to flower so much. Could it be something to do with the Mild winter we had her in UK/GB just passed ?

Plants of Gasteria Armstronii , ready to go . .