2nd half of collection @ Allotment

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Eutow_Intermedium

2nd half of collection @ Allotment

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I spent a lot of time yesterday on my allotment , inside my greenhouse. Potting up new plants , splitting clumps of Gymno Baldianum , repotting plants , writing labels and generaly organising them.

Here is my other half of the collection

The dish with the clump of Mammilaria Multiceps ( prolifera ) texana. I took that back to my flat at the end of the day.

I dont think I will go into a list today of what all the plants are on this occasion.

In other news a Turbinicarpus that I bought that had a seed pod on it. T. Macrochele

The pod burst yesterday and I collected them up , so thats the first of 2013's cacti seed.

=^-^=

Enjoy . .
oldcat61

Re: 2nd half of collection @ Allotment

Post by oldcat61 »

Love all the clumps - what are they? Sue
Eutow_Intermedium

Nothing special.

The three at the back and the one in the bowl at the front are just Mammilaria Multiceps ( prolifera ) texana

There is a Multiceps ( prolifera ) haitensis on the top right end of the shelf. Lighter spined form =^-^=
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

It's hard to tell from the pics, so do you have a male and female O. obesa? It isn't difficult to fertilise the female and produce seeds, always in clumps of three. The difficulty is in catching the seeds when the pods explode and scatter them everywhere!

Steve
Eutow_Intermedium

I have various plants of E. Obesa

I did have a ( M ) Obesa plant until a couple of Years ago. I t was a big dark purply tinted plant , but unfortunately I lost that around 2010/11. That origionaly came from the garden section of a Monastary in germany in 1997.

I still have the big female , she's slightly lighter and surrounded by Tradescantia on my Living Room window sill now.

Have grown seed in the past , very rewarding plant. Certainly a plant for your heir's
Eutow_Intermedium

We had high temps of 36.3oC here in South London today.

The cacti that I bought in the last couple of days that I thought were looking a little too soft for my liking.

I went over to the greenhouse today and they are all wrinkled. basicaly the sun has scorched them. It's going to take years for those Gymno's to recover :(

Well . we all learn from our mistakes. And I was going to use them to give to people as gifts too or even sell a couple.
Eutow_Intermedium

Over the last two weekends and a few weekdays , along with watering the crops on my allotment in the late evening to keep everything alive during July's heatwave.

I have also been bringing new plants in , splitting, potting and repotting as well as writing out new labels.

A few plants have been moved to my Living Room window sill , but not many

The greenhouse is starting to look a bit busier now, what with Echinopsis, Mammilaria cuttings as well as Gymno Baldianum and notocactus ( parodia ) Ottonis plants that I have bought from IKEA and split up into individual pots.

A better picture of that Rhipsalis Pilocarpa.

I removed the junk from the far end of the outside of the greenhouse and also threw a fine fruit net over the top of the roof , in a rather random fashion , that needs a bit of work.

Edit: 29 July

Fixed a broken picture link .

Went over there again today , minimal watering needed. Done some more organising , so all the plants are in yet another completely different order up top :lol:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

so, you also have a greenhouse! nice looking collection, and room to expand!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Eutow_Intermedium

Yes I could expand , however I would struggle , as the other side of the greenhouse is'nt quite designed for ( stock ) cacti and I realy need to be leaving some space for growing veg for my little piece of land.

----------

I went over to my greenhouse again today and yet again more Potting up ensued. I went over my pans of Mammilaria Multiceps ( prolifera ) Texana . Now they have some age too them now , and over the years as they have grown , the mounds as they have developed have pushed offsets upwards out of contact with the soil. But due to conditions , these slightly emaciated pups have nether the less produced yet more roots of their own. And after I had finished poting those up into small square BEF pots , I broke the rest of the clump up into four seperate clumps [ R ] [ E ] [ S ] [ U ] [ L ] [ T ]

I also potted on some even more desperte plants of Gasteria Armstrongii that were previously in the Conservatory at Nash's Garden , those also went into the small BEF pots.

The donated 30 yr old Echinopsis was given a shot of Vitax cacti food in the days previously and moved to the allotment greenhouse. I then topped up the trough with some new compost mix I have made up recently. I had noticed new roots on the surface of the soil previously and it can only do the plant some good, what with the low level nutrient and fresh soil. Plus those extra roots now have something else to tuck into and hopefully the plant will plump up a bit more now and possibly flower next season.

My origional Gymnocalycium Quehlianum that I bought many years ago, possibly one of my earliest plants. I repotted it into a nice old and tall Terracotta pot. This plant was bought in the Early to mid 90's and cost me a bargain 20p at a Rumble sale :o Over the years it had put on a lot of growth and it culminated last year by becoming very woody , and was no longer thriving . So I chopped the top off and started again. Needless to say it has shot off.

I had been excited at the advent of my Chamaelobivia var Ragged Robin flowering. It had been in the greenhouse before and it was looking like it was going to flower profusely after producing many buds. I decided to take it back to my flat as I did'nt want to miss the flowers when they opened. =^~^= Unfortunately after a week in my flat the plant slowly lost all but one of the buds , they dried out and were just being rolled off by my finger , leaving me lost for words and more than a little upset that I would have to wait another year for this unreliable plant to maybe or maybe not bother to flower next season.

So I ended up taking some of the pups off the plant and cleaning it up like I had done they donated echinopsis. And potting up the little ones . This no doubt gets a bit more air about the plant and will encourage the new growth and offsets on the main stems. I placed it next to the Mammilaria Elongata on the right of the top rack.

I have slowly been going through my Allotment greenhouse collection and writing out labels. But I do believe it or not have some plants that dont have names.

Hoping you guys can help me out here. Most are new plants , a couple a season or two and one Ye Olde plant that I have had for many years.

So here they are =^-^=

( 1 ) Echinopsis ( Lobivia ) ?

( 2 ) Aloe ?

( 3 ) Triciocereus maybe ? I bought both of these at the same time several years ago. One has decided to pupp from the base which has slowed the main plants growth. The other one has stayed solitary and thus is still romping away on it's own. That Echinopsis offsets saying hi on the left side was rooting and being the only one on the plant , I potted that one up today too.

( 4 ) Euphorbia sp ? I think it is =^_^=

( 5 ) This plant I have had for many years , it is one of my earliest plants. I origionaly had two and the other one had more reddish spines. In recent weeks I scraped a lot off dead skin and spines of the base of this one to reveal a partly calloused and woody stem and roots in funny places. I still potted it on for the first time in many many years. To top it off up top there is not one or two, not even three but four new growing points or branches forming on the top of the plant .

" Madness I tell you "

Thankyou

And followed up by the picture of the greenhouse as it is now after todays session

teo

Post by teo »

1 looks like one of my plants - which was identified as Echinopsis 'Rose Quartz' (which is a Chamaelobivia hybrid)
4 is Euphorbia aeruginosa
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

You do like Gymno's,don't you :)
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
Eutow_Intermedium

Thats just two pots full of Baldianum that I split up. There is a G. Schroderianum there as well as a G Quehlianum and another one that has a very complicated name . I dont nearly have as many Gymno's as I used to =^~^=

Those are Parodia ( notocactus ) Ottonis at the front. they were also in a pot and I split the clump into four. Also a very nice prodia ( notocactus ) Lenninghausi with long ginger spination up top. I split that into 3 -1 . The other one in my Flat has shorter more pale yello green spination.

Thanks Teo . That may be two out of the way so far. Many thanx =^-^=
Eutow_Intermedium

After yet another visit to my second half of the collection I took another series of pictures of my Stock and possibly outgoing plants too.

I done more splitting and potting up of plants. After purchasing yet more plants , but this time from the Wembley branch of IKEA ( out of area ) , while paying a visit to Ace Cafe ( N london )

Also my Girlfriend and I have bought our tickets on the train for our five day trip to Wales to visit an old friend.

As you can see there has been yet more organisation going on in here. I now have the most recent plants in on the bottom bench along with my repotted Sansivieria leaf cuttings. BEF 2" square pots either side

One side of the greenhouse is now pretty much filling up.

The most recently repotted and in some case splitted and potted plants. Plus the Sansevieria's

I'm salivating over that Chamaecereus Silvestrii. Everybody should have one for Posteriorosity . .

On the Lower bench with Notocatus ( parodia ) Ottonis . Gymno Baldianum , Euphorbia Obesa , Trichocereus Terscheckii , Aloe Marlothii, Notocatus ( parodia ) Lenninghausii , Echinocactus Grusonii and what is likely to be bog standard Echinopsis Oxygona on the top left.

Also on the lower bench to the left of the plants in the last picture

Plants of Agave Utahmensis, Echinopsis Oxygona more than likely. Discocactus ? Gymnocalycium Erinaceum, Quehlianum, Bruchii . and two more small Echinopsis pupps potted up in their own space.

Extreme left of the lower bench. Lots of potted offsets and a couple of Notocactus ( parodia ) that I waited to push roots through before I gave them their own home.

I have Gasteria Armstrongii , Mammilaria Prolifer ( Multiceps ) texana and more Echinopsis offsets here.

Plants on the top bench on the left

On the centre of the Top bench

This includes Spud the Turb seedling

On the centre of the top bench

Including Rhipsalis Pilocarpa , Gymnocalycium Achirasense Chacrasense 117 - 28 GN ( rescue ) The solitary Thelocactus Matudae seedling that was in the pot of the bigger one. And mammilaria Prolifera ( Multiceps ) haitiensis

Echeveria Cuspidata var Zaragozae ( rescue plants ). I'm never going to be without this plant. I had a lot of plants whemn I first aquired them.

On the far right of the top bench I have

Two Echinofossulocactus ( Stenocactus ) , Astrophytum Ornatum senile is it , even has a flower bud forming of which has refrained to fall off :lol: . Gymnocalycium Quehlianum , the 20P plant that I have had since the early 90's , needed chopping , callousing and repotting , it's now romping away again. Echinopsis haematantha and various Echinopsis ( chamaelobivia hybrids ) . Plus Mammilaria Elongata.

lets see if I can keep it alive and into a good sized plant ?

=^-^=

Enjoy . . . .
Eutow_Intermedium

The newly aquired plants after being split and repotted accordingly.

Due to the lack of suitable pots , some plants have a little bit more room in their new accommodation .

This includes Pachycereus pringleii and Espostoa Lanata . Mystery cactus , Chamaecereus Silvestrii , Pilosocereus pachycladus ( many ribs )

Myrtillocactus Geometrizans, Oreocereos Trollii duo and Mammilaria Spinosissima I am told. These are all on the bottom bench.
Eutow_Intermedium

These are the bits that Linda Moon let me have off the Ye Olde ( peanut cactus ) Charmaecereus Silvestrii.

There were so many bits I ended up potting on no less than 25 cuttings. Hopefully they will establish roots and be plump enough to set themselves up for the oncoming rest period from October to March/May next year.

The origional plant was unraveled and I left the best four pieces with my friend.

The collection as it stands @ end of Sept.

A few more plants will eventualy make their way back to my flat. The two remaining thelo's , Discocactus , Pilosocereus, and maybe a few more.