Testing . . 1 half of my current collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Eutow_Intermedium

Testing . . 1 half of my current collection

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I just got a new Imageshack host , the first time i've used it and frankly it's so basic. I dont want to talk about it # !

I have very limited photo's of my plants at the moment. Because over the years I have taken so many pictures since 2008 of various subjects , I can no longer store any picture because all my devices are full. That includes my PC and my iPhone.

managed to make some space on my compact camera's SD card. So I managed to get a very limited amount of pictures.

Most of my pictures either go on Instagram or Facebook. My iPhone recently reached it's capacity

He are what photo's I was able to take, this shows one half of my collection. The plants that are on my Living Room window sill.

Gymnocalycium Ritterianum

I grew this from seed in 1995 or 99. I cant remember which year , as I have conflicting labels and I dont remember that far back now lol.

Fully open before fading .

Neoporteria Paucicostata

Living Room plants

IKEA Druva pot with Tradescantia
Mammilaria Hahniana
Small Sansevaria potted from IKEA
Ferocactus Histrix ( custom pot )
Old ( F ) Euphorbia Obesa with Tradescantia
Neoporteria Paucicostata
Gymnocalycium Intermedium ( cutting 2011 ) with three pups
Gymnocalycium Denudatum ( jan suba )
Charmacereus Silvestrii ( yellow form ) although I have had mixed flower colours on the same plant
Gymnocalycium Baldianum ? ( recent IKEA aquisition ) four heads
Gymnocalycium Schroderianum
Acanthocalycium Violaceum
Gymnocalycium Gibbosum
Gymnocalycium Ritterianum ( 95or99 ) grown from seed
Gymnocalycium Quehlianum var Albispinum
Gymnocalycium Intermedium ( 2012 cutting ) this was taken off the origional damaged plant. It's finaly produced a root at the base and i'm keeping the compost moist to estblish it.
Gymnocalycium Octoterenai var Scoparium. had this one for quite a few years
Mammilaria backebergii ernestiana ( IKEA 2011) four seperate plants
Euphorbia Obesa ( seed grown ) 2006
Euphorbia Obesa ( seed grown ) 2007
Aeonium Scwarzkopf. Cutting taken off a plant that I got from the Eden Project ( Cornwall -UK- ) some years ago. The origional plant and another cutting of this are in the conservatory of an old lady friend I do her garden.

Pachypodium Geayi. Had this for many years , but it appears to be a slow growing plant
2X Musa Acuminata ( dwarf cavendish ) banana plants.

The large Euphorbia Obesa pot was formerly near the other one with Tradescantia in it. As a result it happened to root in the Euphorbia pot , so I decided to plant a cutting of the same plant at the other side. It looks quite attractive. The plants in big brown ( IKEA ) Mandel pots are in Coir compost.

As you can see I am a bit high on Gymno's , but thats to be expected. And Euphorbia Obesa is pretty much idiot proof so.

Enjoy . .

Bedroom Plants

Unknown Parodia or Notocatus in an old IKEA ( Druva ) pot
Gymnocalycium Intermedium ( origional ) This was a rescue from John pilbeams throw away bag , many many years ago. The growing point was damaged and it did'nt grow or do anything for years and years , until one season when the plant now living in my allotment greenhouse , produced a flower through the hole , and I reasoned. If there is a flower growing there must be a new apex inside. I then set about cutting into my origional Intermedium with a knife and found a very bleached looking pup in there. This grew through 2010 and was subsequently knocked off by the hard winter of 2010/11.

In 2011/12 season the plant produced yet another pup from the base and in the summer I cut it off , calloused it and potted it up. Thats was the first new clean plant that I have now.

In 2013 yet another pup was produced from the base and I cut it the same way , but maybe a little smaller that the previous. Hence forth I have struggled to root it until now. 2012's pup had flowers coming at the time when I partialy cut it off and left a slivver to keep it going. The flowers aborted and turn into growing offsets instead.

The origional damaged plant now has two more basal offsets coming , but i'm leaving those till next year. So going from a worrying situation that I may lose the plant. I am now slowly over the years getting more and more of them * thumb up *

Echinops sp : unk var

Gymnocalycium Glaucum ( Ferrari )

Echinopsis : Schick hybrids

Pink Diamond ( bought 2012 )
Krakatoa ( bought 2013 )
Oberon ( bought 2012 )
Infinity ( bought 2013 )
Daydream ( bought 2012 )

All Kent Cacti . Doug Sizmur's nursery

Melocactus sp on Hylocereus graft. In a druva pot. This took a tumble and the graft with damaged. The plant is now slightly lopsided , however I think the plant will soon be the right size to grow a Cephaleum , if thats how you spell it. Another IKEA plant from within the last couple of years

Clump of Notocactus Lenninghausii ( IKEA ) bought 2012

Blossfeldia grafted ( you know where from ) in an old Druva pot from ( you know where from ) :wink:

New Photobucket account . .

Enjoy . .
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Testing . . 1 half of my current collection

Updated my links. You can actualy see my pictures now.

:thumbleft:

Gymnocalycium Octoterenai var scoparium

I've had this plant since the 2000's. I did have Octoterenai var polygonum too at one time. But the years have taken that one from me.

* throws Imageshack out the window *

< < CRASH > >

Somehow I will get the rest onto here. But they are all on my iPhone

:?

* fiddles and faffs *
Eutow_Intermedium

Chamaecereus ( yellow form ) yellow flower

Chamaecereus ( yellow form ) mixed colour on same plant.

Mix of plants including Copiapoa Hypogaea

The Rebutia Perplexa and two Turbs have been moved to the Greenhouse on my allotment since.

Copiapoa Hypogaea

Chamaelobivia hyb, var : Weiss

Gymnocalycium Denudatum var jan suba

Acanthocalycium Violaceum

Gymnocalycium Gibbosum. Had this plant a few years

Neoporteria Paucicostata ( pre flowering ) in custom pot . Posca pens used.

=^-^=

Thats pretty much up to date

Just the plants on the allotment and the one's in the conservatory at Nash's garden to go now.

Enjoy . .
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

nice collection and lovely flowers!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Artur89

Post by Artur89 »

This first Chamaecereus hybr. looks like 'Unikum' - IMO this hybrid is excellent :D
Eutow_Intermedium

Many thanks. Not too bad for a small level collection.

Pictures 1 and 2 are the same plant . .

Ok , i'll have to look it up.

=^-^=
Eutow_Intermedium

Just had these flower today.

I have to bring them over from the greenhouse over the allotment otherwise I will miss the flowers.

Parodia mairanana

Turbinicarpus Krainzianus

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice flowers! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

Nice compact collection, well looked after and lovely flowers. Thanks for sharing them.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Eutow_Intermedium

This plant came into flower yesterday at my Girlfriends house. She bought it the last time we were at Kent Cacti/Conniseur's Cacti , the last time we went there.

She got it for her old man. We got this one because it had a dirty sounding name :lol:

Echinopsis : Hot Lips ( shick hybrid )

Also in frame , a small Gymno : Mihanovichii and a Frithia Pulchra , thats a Faucaria just nudging a leaf in.

:mrgreen:
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

How do you get these to flower indoors?
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

nice parodia!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Eutow_Intermedium

Copiapoa Hypogaea produces yet another flower.

I am suprised how fast they come up. One day I can see a bud forming and several days later , it's already in bloom. !

My window sill now looks even more crowded than it was before.

What with a bowl with Mamm Prolifera texana , four big Thelo's , a new matucana and a donated Echinopsis in a trough. It's looking pretty busy here now.

I'm waiting for the thelo's to flower now. Should start with T. Bicolor in the next day or so.

Boss. They dont get any particular special treatment. Some plants have overwintered in the greenhouse on my allotment ( unheated ) but dry between Oct and Apr. Other plants have always been in my Living Room on the window sill. That wooden board sits between and rests on top of the radiator.

I never use that radiator nor heat the Living Room , if I did the heat would go strait out of the window anyway. the only time the Living Room radiator would come on is if I had my Thertmostat on realy high into the 20's. I tend to only use the heating in the bedroom , the next room. The little one in the hallway and rare occasions the rad in the bathroom ( winter time ).

So basicaly my Living Room is unheated all year. My windows are South facing.

Maybe my plants are thanking me for not stressing them out with temperature fluctuations in my Living Room.

=^-^=
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

29 July

Thelocactus Bicolor Bolansis has opened up. There are two more buds to come after this one.

=^-^=

Plus I have two more to flower , including the sadly nameless plant.

I will edit this post once the other two begin to bloom.

And just for the fun of it , here is my big ( F ) Euphorbia Obesa surrounded by Tradescantia.

Edit: 31, 07, 2013

Repaired a broken link.
Eutow_Intermedium

Thelocactus Matudae finaly blooms. This is one of the four that I got from the last Bromley branch meeting. Was manic !

Same plant again but in a landscape pose

Turbinicarpus Macrochele. This was the plant that gave me some seed recently :D . Thats a Mammilaria Hahniana underneath :lol:

The recently renamed plant Thelocactus Buekii. I know thats right because it rang bells when I saw the name , so i'm well happy. I lost the origional label on the way back from the last Bromley branch meeting.

Edit: 9, 08, 2013

Added photo of Thelocactus buekii when fully open.

I could'nt believe how it's reflected the flower colour onto the body of the plant. Quite a spectacle.

Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.