Testing . . 1 half of my current collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Testing . . 1 half of my current collection

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

Acanthocalycium Violaceum goes out with a bang with five more blooms.

From now on the plant will grow through the season.

I also found this plant to be very musical a while back after some gentle stimulation.

♪ ♪

Eutow_Intermedium

Gymnocalycium Quehlianum albispinum in flower.

Just enough warmth to open it up " phew "
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

very lovely, especially the acanthocalycium
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Eutow_Intermedium

As of late sept, this is one half of my collection as it is and waiting to enter the rest period of 2013/14

In full

Plants to left

Plants to the right

=^-^=

Enjoy. .
Eutow_Intermedium

=^-^=

Wahoo ! !

The Barbara Cook ( rescue ) lithops decided to push up a bud and flower from one of the four heads.

So I have late season colour . Even though it's just white.

Eutow_Intermedium

News :

:(

I lost my Astrophytum Capricorne senile to a mystery winter death by squishy mess , in the last couple of weeks.

I moved a couple of Echeveria Cuspidata Zaragozae plants and a Euphorbia Globosa from the Conservatory at Nash's Garden to my Living Room. Also I picked up the last remaining plant, what could be an aeonium sp plant from outside the Old Folks home , that was waiting for the winter to knock it on the head.

Plus I have some small Christmas cacti beginning to flower in my flat, not all of them were meant for me, but the opportunity to give them way just hasn't come up yet. So I have three small white/pale pink flowering plants beginning to open up now.
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:News :

:(

I lost my Astrophytum Capricorne senile to a mystery winter death by squishy mess , in the last couple of weeks.

I moved a couple of Echeveria Cuspidata Zaragozae plants and a Euphorbia Globosa from the Conservatory at Nash's Garden to my Living Room. Also I picked up the last remaining plant, what could be an aeonium sp plant from outside the Old Folks home , that was waiting for the winter to knock it on the head.

Plus I have some small Christmas cacti beginning to flower in my flat, not all of them were meant for me, but the opportunity to give them way just hasn't come up yet. So I have three small white/pale pink flowering plants beginning to open up now.
It is a shame to lose things, but these things happen and you have to look on the bright side! I've lost a Euphorbia and I've had to chop up some Hoodia seedlings which will hopefully re-root. :P Christmas cacti are nice to have around, they give a splash of colour in this drab time of year. :wink:
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Eutow_Intermedium

In the recent week I have lost a few plants. Luckily not all of them are cacti.

One was a small Musa Acuminata ( dwarf cavendish ) banana. In this country it seems you need to start with a bigger plant, that way the leaves can take enough sun in during the year to enable it to survive. This one was way to small and couldn't handle the UK's permanent DREAR ! I have a slightly bigger one, hopefully that will survive for another couple of months until it warms up and gets a little bit lighter. then I can start watering it.

I also lost a Dracenea is it ( dragon house plant ) This was mainly due to my cat Esme Florine continuously chewing and eating the leave's while I was out, as she thought it was a cat grass plant =~_~=, then I think the cold done a Mortal Kombat and finished him.

" Sub Zero Wins ! "

And earlier today I noticed that the Echinopsis plant that had been at Cousin Stuart's house for many years , that I took on to try and nurse back to health after a mealy infestation . It's plainly just given up on life and gone brown.

Also the cold has knocked the Hylocereus graft underneath the multi multi headed Rebutia Heliosa, so I ended up picking the majority of heads off of the plant and putting them aside to callous. I wasn't planning on picking so many off, maybe just four or five in the warmer spring. But I have been forced to pluck them all off now.

If I pot all these heads up and they root, i'm a gonna have R. Heliosa coming out of my a?%!

There are still over 20 smaller ones on top, and I left them in hope that they would by something short of a miracle put some size on before the Graft goes completely.

So i've moved a few things around. For one the multi stemmed Parodia ( notocactus ) Warasii and the Acanthocalycium Violceum have been moved from the Bedroom to the Living room, to make way for the babies now on the window sill.

Also I have noticed my Melocactus Amoenus has decided to pop me up another fruit.

=^-^=
Eutow_Intermedium

About a week ago I decided, now that I have the time to repot my Mystery Ferocactus ( F. Stainseii ? )

As was predicted , when I turned the plant out of the pot there was not much in the way of root. Perhaps just 1/4 of the plant underneath had root on it , and it was so dry despite the fact I have been watering it. The soil it was in was very confusing. First I uncovered a whole Monkey nut ! ?

Now thats been in there some time. As I had been keeping an eye on this plant for a year probably before I finally bought it for a reduced cost. There were dried remains of leaves and brown twigs. The medium looked to be soil based and I did find more what looked like natural looking stone, of which I kept separate and washed.

On inspecting the contents of the lost pristine looking Monkey nut, I found the nuts to be little more than grey composted dust .

I am even more convinced that this plant may have been once a habitat plant =^~^=

I also used the opportunity and availability of compost and pots to repot my New Echinocctus Grusonii. The one that replaced my beloved multi headed one from IKEA that I had in my flat since 2006, that died last year.

I couldn't for the life of me explain why the pot was do darn heavy =~.~=

On unpotting the Golden Barrel I found the root growth to be good. But it looked like something from a red stone covered tennis court , had been collected with a dustpan and brush and used as compost. Pulverised brick ?

Also the large Melocactus Amoenus of which was in pure coir " euurgeh ! " . Had it's roots thoroughly washed , and was repotted into my current House mix , of which has a bit of everything in there , from Anerley stone grit, multi purpose and coir , but fresh at least.

Using two pieces of long and thing wood to rest the cactus in place in the middle and on top of the pot. I filled in around with the new mix and packed it in, before adding more and then gently settling the plant down. I still don't think I have watered that one yet , giving it time to recover from the shock.

And the bonus was replacing the soil in the pot of my Pachypodium Geayi. Of which sadly had very little root on it at all. This came as quite shock to be frank.

=^~^=

Echinocactus Grusonii and Ferocactus ( Stainesii ? ) freshly changed.

Regds & Peace

Eutow_Int*
Eutow_Intermedium

Yesterday I took the opportunity to was the windowsill underneath one half of my collection that resides on my Living Room window sill.

It really needed doing. Plus I wanted to get the plants some air and a couple of hours of sun outside.

Unfortunately as promptly as I began to carry the plants outside, the sun became slowly obscured by moderate sized grey fluffy clouds. And there was me hoping I could get enough heat to coax my Gymno's into opening a bit wider :roll: * rolls eyes *

Drearism.

The girlfriend soon started scrubbing down the white plastic windowsill , while I kept a look on the collection outside, as well as taking some pics.

So here is several pics from various angles of the largest plants from my Living Room collection.

=^-^=

Enjoy . . . .

Eut_Int*
Eutow_Intermedium

Just had a Heavy thunder storm pass over South London. I just managed to get back on the tram and walk to my flat with the rest of the wood for my new staging in the Allotment Greenhouse, when it broke.

Quickly put two old washing up bowls under the edge of the walkway before the Gutters finally overflowed.

Managed to fill up no less than 9, 2 Litre Evian bottles with rain water , and give the cat a bath :lol:

Wont have to worry about watering my houseplants, Cacti and Cucumber plant for a while now =^_^=
Eutow_Intermedium

Brought back my Ye Olde original Thelocactus Rinconenis SB 301 to my gaff yesterday . I think it has always struggled. I now potted it into it's own pot and given it a good watering
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:Just had a Heavy thunder storm pass over South London. I just managed to get back on the tram and walk to my flat with the rest of the wood for my new staging in the Allotment Greenhouse, when it broke.

Quickly put two old washing up bowls under the edge of the walkway before the Gutters finally overflowed.

Managed to fill up no less than 9, 2 Litre Evian bottles with rain water , and give the cat a bath :lol:

Wont have to worry about watering my houseplants, Cacti and Cucumber plant for a while now =^_^=

I had to resort to using tap water yesterday, which is ok now and again a it is quite soft in our area. Rain is so intermitent lately I cannot collect enough to last more than o or two waterings. I can just see soom clouds starting to form down here in work(Cardiff) so may or may not get rain later back home. Such a strange thing wanting rain but wishing for long sunny durations in equal amounts.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND